USA Stimulus Checks you might get one this Time

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Ummm....why are you trying to blame congress when the bills were signed by Trump?  He promised to reduce the debt, but didn't.  If he wanted to reduce the debt, why sign bills waiving the debt limit?

Come on....Trump's the boss.  The buck stops with him.

You might enjoy reading the US Constitution sometime.

50 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

You should read up on how the fiscal system of the US government and while you're at it on the Dunning Kruger Effect.

This would be a good read for you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/23/rank-hypocrisy-trumps-treatment-national-debt-president/

The rank hypocrisy of Trump’s treatment of the national debt as president

Exactly eight years to the day before President Trump announced that he would agree to a deal increasing spending and lifting the debt ceiling, Trump decided to highlight President Barack Obama’s budget hypocrisy.

"Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally." - US Senator @BarackObama, 2007

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 22, 2011

That was what Obama said in 2006, the 2011 version of Trump pointed out — yet here Obama was, overseeing one of the largest expansions of the debt in history! Can you believe it?

Back to topic, fwiw: a few weeks ago noticed a deposit a bit north of $2000 from US treasury. No explanation (natch). Married to Thai nations, no SS, joint file. I suppose this could be making up for all the stimulus I/we didn't get... from US anyway

On 12/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, Emdog said:

Back to topic, fwiw: a few weeks ago noticed a deposit a bit north of $2000 from US treasury. No explanation (natch). Married to Thai nations, no SS, joint file. I suppose this could be making up for all the stimulus I/we didn't get... from US anyway

There should be details in the direct deposit entry which would allow you to determine the source.

Example for a refund: Description:IRS TREAS 310 DES: TAX REF ID

What is "a bit north"? Is it an even amount? Could it be a refund from your 2019 1040? (They paid interest on some return amounts as they were late this year.)

Were you due a stimilus payment from earlier this year?

What does Get My Payment (once it's back online) say?

On 12/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, Emdog said:

Doubtful....a bit north of $2000 is an odd number for a stimulus payment especially since you said you are married to a Thai national with no SS.  And assuming you have no minor children with SS who could get a $500 stimulus seems any stimulus payment you may have just go would be for around $1,200  Sure it ain't  2020 tax refund?    Or maybe you just started receiving some govt benefit like SS pension...did you recently apply for any govt benefit like SS?     

Edited by Pib

I see Donald finally signed the latest stimulus bill that provides $600 payments.  And the law includes a provision where people who jointly filed with their spouse who had an ITIN vs SSN which under the previous stimulus law would not receive any payment because of the spouse's ITIN status will now receive a stimulus payment....that is, the spouse with a SSN will receive a payment (i.e., $600).  And it's retroactive to the spring stimulus law that paid $1,200 per qualifying adult.   

So, for a SSN spouse who files a joint return with their ITIN spouse the SSN spouse will now receive a stimulus payment versus being boned.   $600 from the hot-off-the-press stimulus law and $1,200 from the spring stimulus law.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/stimulus-deal-update.html

What if I’m a citizen married to someone who is not and uses an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number instead of a Social Security Number?

In the spring, that usually meant that neither of you was eligible for payments. Now, when two people are married and filing their taxes jointly and only one spouse has a Social Security number, they will be eligible for a single $600 payment. Each of their children with Social Security numbers would also be eligible for the $600.

This change would be retroactive, which means that you could use your 2020 tax return to claim the payment that you did not get in the spring.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, Robbie63 said:

Hello everyone I was just reading some info from the NY Times. They say that this time if you are married and filing Jointly and one person has a SSN and the other does not they have a ITIN for example you will get the $600 this time. Also it is retroactive for the $1200 payment in the spring. You will be able to claim a credit on your 2020 Taxes. Looks like some good news for once after that last disappointment. Please feel free to let me know if I am wrong lol. Best of Luck to all for a better New Year.

I'll hold me breath and see what happens first.  Me dying of lack of oxygen or me obtaining a Covid-Stimulus-Check.

I know which will happen and which will not.  You're not getting diddly-squat from your Congress.

Don't plan on it.  I wrote Congressman and Senators earlier this year.  The Congressman and one Senator ignored me.  The one Senator who commented back essentially said, "So sad, too bad for you.  Nothing I can do. Boo Hoo."  <now shut up and go away>.  It was a rather condescending and pathetic letter.

16 minutes ago, connda said:

I'll hold me breath and see what happens first.  Me dying of lack of oxygen or me obtaining a Covid-Stimulus-Check.

I know which will happen and which will not.  You're not getting diddly-squat from your Congress.

Don't plan on it.  I wrote Congressman and Senators earlier this year.  The Congressman and one Senator ignored me.  The one Senator who commented back essentially said, "So sad, too bad for you.  Nothing I can do. Boo Hoo."  <now shut up and go away>.  It was a rather condescending and pathetic letter.

What is your Point? The only message here is about the new change and the fact that a bad mistake was finally rectified. I thought that the first round was a lost cause and it did not make ant sense but I will gladly take the $1800. It will make up for the money I sent to my son in America. Stay on Topic

26 minutes ago, connda said:

5 minutes ago, Robbie63 said:

What is your Point? The only message here is about the new change and the fact that a bad mistake was finally rectified. I thought that the first round was a lost cause and it did not make ant sense but I will gladly take the $1800. It will make up for the money I sent to my son in America. Stay on Topic

My point is that Congressman say all sorts of populace nonsense that they never follow through on.  They make a lot of happy talk for their constituents, and then the majority of congress votes down the legislation, and the handful of jokers who proposed the happy talk make sad faces and tell the masses, "See!  We tried.  Make sure to vote for us!!!".

I don't expect to see a cent from the US. 

Relating to when the US Treasury is estimating the $600 payment will begin flowing out....see news article at bottom.  I guess the Wednesday and Thursday referenced in the article is for  30-31 Dec 2020 since the news article is dated 28 Dec.

But the holidays and the possibility of the $600 being raised to $2000 might complicate payment dates.  As of 29 Dec (Thailand date) the House of Representatives passed the bill raising the payment from $600 to $2000....even a bunch of Republicans voted for it this time where they didn't a few weeks ago. 

Now it's up to the  Republican-controlled Senate to be a belated Santa Claus or Grinch--and before (just a few weeks ago)--the  Republican Senate was a Grinch on higher direct payments but this time the Grinch might not be able to stand the pressure.  McConnell (the head Grinch) will be key....he was against any or higher direct payments up to about a month ago...but finally relented to allow $600.   Hopefully he will relent some more under pressure especially since so many Republicans in the House supported the $2,000 payment which just passed the House.  I expect we should know the outcome within about week as to whether the approved $600 payment gets increased to $2,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/12/28/stimulus-check-trump-money/

The electronic deposits could go out Wednesday and Thursday in large tranches, according to a senior official at the Internal Revenue Service, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the agency’s early plans. It remains unclear, however, whether other obstacles might result in delays — particularly given the holiday week and its impact on staffing at major banks. A senior treasury official, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that the agency was sticking to the same targeted timeline as Mnuchin recently outlined — but signaled that the timing could change.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, andy said:

I snail mailed 2019 in July and was told by the phone rep that the processing backlog was massive. 

FWIW, you can track/check the status of your return on the web portal or via the mobile app. It's basic info, but at least you know it was received, in process, refund made etc. Looks like a lot of this is down until Jan. 3 or 4.

https://www.usa.gov/check-tax-status

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs2goapp

I took a small refund, and it was deposited with some extra interest (which we have to declare in 2020!).

• Like 1

It seems the IRS is moving ahead with the $600 payments while waiting for the senate do something about the $2000 one after it passed the house.

Press release dated last night for those here. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/treasury-and-irs-begin-delivering-second-round-of-economic-impact-payments-to-millions-of-americans

I mentions the get my payment site but it is down at this time.

At least I should not have a long wait for it like I had last time since they now have my banking info from a non filers form to get the first one at the end of June.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm sure Covid has nothing to do with the over spending. Nah......

Ummm....it happened before CV19 happened.  And CV19 would have been much less severe if Trump had been a better leader and listened to science rather than QAnon nuts.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Ummm....it happened before CV19 happened.  And CV19 would have been much less severe if Trump had been a better leader and listened to science rather than QAnon nuts.

The topic I responded to was about money. Save your I hate Trump speech. It gets tiresome.

22 hours ago, Pib said:

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to get a Pending deposit notice from my bank before the IRS Get My Portal reflects the payment especially over this holiday period.

A friend got notice his has been deposited in his US bank account. Big surprise to him since he was not expecting it.

I will have to wait until Monday to find out if mine has beens sent to Bangkok Bank in New York. I might get my SSA payment deposit SMS notice and it at the same time.

• Like 1

Partial quote of a 29 Dec 2002 IRS news release regarding the second round of stimulus payments (i.e., the $600 round). 

And it sounds like the direct deposits are being sent with payment/posting instructions of 4 Jan 2021 which means if a payment hits your acct before 4 Jan that it may remain in Pending status until 4 Jan unless your bank has a policy to Post the payment (i.e., funds actually made available to you) earlier than posting instructions received with the payment.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/treasury-and-irs-begin-delivering-second-round-of-economic-impact-payments-to-millions-of-americans

IR-2020-280, December 29, 2020

WASHINGTON – Today, the Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department will begin delivering a second round of Economic Impact Payments as part of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 to millions of Americans who received the first round of payments earlier this year.

The initial direct deposit payments may begin arriving as early as tonight for some and will continue into next week. Paper checks will begin to be mailed tomorrow, Wednesday, December 30.

The IRS emphasizes that there is no action required by eligible individuals to receive this second payment. Some Americans may see the direct deposit payments as pending or as provisional payments in their accounts before the official payment date of January 4, 2021. The IRS reminds taxpayers that the payments are automatic, and they should not contact their financial institutions or the IRS with payment timing questions.

On 12/22/2020 at 7:15 AM, Mansell said:

600 dollars is a bloody joke. Some of the evangelists got millions and people like the Amazon guy got over a billion or a few billion. Richest country in the world and the bloody cheapest. Combined with the other  1,200 dollars it’s not even two thousand dollars. Pathetic. Germany gave something like 70 percent of income. USA a pittance. And the Congress men and women vote themselves big pay raises in the middle of the night. <deleted>#%ing Scum. Wake up America.

Are you sure Jeff Bezos of Amazon received the same form of funding? I don't believe that he received anything. Where did Amazon receive stimulus money?  Tens of millions of Americans did however spend money at Amazon.

Putting that aside, if Americans can get social assistance payment when they are living in Thailand, that is very generous of the USA.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Sad 1

Our (the wife and I) 2nd stimulus payment has hit our US bank acct as of 31 Dec 2020....we have a pending direct deposit for $1,200 ($600 for each of us as we file a joint return).   

Earlier in the year we also received the 1st stimulus payment $2,400 ($1,200 for each of us) right off the bat...14 Apr 2020 if memory serves me.