Possibility of being stuck in Surat Thani

ivenius

I was planning a week of holiday on Samui, my flight from Bangkok is in 2 days. But there's this news that all "migrant workers" are banned from coming in or out of Surat Thani:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2038887/surat-thani-bans-travel-by-migrant-workers

Is everyone with the work permit considered a "migrant worker"? I work in Bangkok, so I can't really risk it to get stuck in another province so far from here. Or is it fluid and nobody really knows?

• Haha 1

You will be fine. Suratthani province is only about 50 kilometers from Burma. They are concerned about the migrant workers (legal and illegal) coming from there.

I doubt that you are classed as a migrant worker.

We have a lot of expats coming to Samui between now and New Year.

(Unless, of course, should 'he who must be obeyed' throws another wobbly.)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I'll presume that as long as you don't carry a Myanmar, Lao or Cambodian passport, you should be safe to be let into Surat Thani, and allowed to continue inside the province to Samui.

However, if there's a new major outbreak within the next two days, situation might change.

Yep, and this is very likely to happen. If provinces go into full lockdowns then a lot of people face being stuck away from their homes for a few days or longer. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere at the moment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Yep, and this is very likely to happen. If provinces go into full lockdowns then a lot of people face being stuck away from their homes for a few days or longer. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere at the moment.

Hmm. 3 recent cases in Korat (today).

I am sure that you will be fine staying there.

Please stay away from seafood though.

Personally, I think that we are more safe here on Samui

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 5:24 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Hmm. 3 recent cases in Korat (today).

I am sure that you will be fine staying there.

Please stay away from seafood though.

Personally, I think that we are more safe here on Samui

Why stay away from seafood. You suggesting a fish that's been scaled, washed and fried in oil, or some prawns that have been boiled, can spread the virus?