Seafood shortage in Chiang Mai

EricTh

16 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Yes but it's a huge wholesale market which you guessed it supplies seafood to central and northern Thailand.

Getting seafood from Southern Thailand would probably drive the cost price to high to sale unless you are a very big well visited restaurant.

Correct. And on top of that, you would need to find a seller who has the free capacity to fill the void from the other market.

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

many other places in southern Thailand near the sea.

Exactly why I dont eat seafood in Northern Thailand.....a long way from the sea...

Noting the cases of warm beer Ive seen travel in the backs of pick ups around LOS to get skunky

And watching how vendors treat food temps-proper sanitation and hygiene as a reminder.

Ive worked as a Chef in LOS and some of the thai logic I heard regarding food was shocking, and this was from an upscale venue that should know better, and was basically my reason for quitting as I didnt want to be a part of making people sick. One of the main reasons was keeping seafood at proper temps, hence the irony..

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 2:46 PM, EricTh said:

What are the reasons?

Maybe linked to this (from another post on TVF today)

Laos has temporarily banned the import of fresh and frozen seafood from Thailand after a new wave of Covid-19 infections erupted from Samut Sakhon’s seafood market.

Laos’s Industry and Commerce Ministry made the decision on Wednesday to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the country.

The new measure is temporary and will stay in effect until both countries can confirm the products are safe and coronavirus-free.

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:
23 hours ago, Dante99 said:

I have eaten in three different restaurants since last night and all have had seafood and we ordered and received it just fine.  Normal prices and no mention of menu items being unavailable.

You have eaten in three different restaurants since last night? I've heard of bar-hopping, but this is ridiculous.

Most people eat thee meals a day within a 12 hour period, simple as that.   Stunning that you and your buddies just can't get it.

Also ridiculous to think there is a shortage when it is readily available.

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Watch the news.

I just read the news in Bangkok Post titled

'Seafood sales drop after Covid-19 outbreak'.

It seems that the main reason is not the shortage of seafood but the fear of being infected by seafood so some eateries don't even want to buy it.

Edited by EricTh

On 12/24/2020 at 7:58 AM, ChakaKhan said:

Exactly why I dont eat seafood in Northern Thailand.....a long way from the sea...

Noting the cases of warm beer Ive seen travel in the backs of pick ups around LOS to get skunky

And watching how vendors treat food temps-proper sanitation and hygiene as a reminder.

Ive worked as a Chef in LOS and some of the thai logic I heard regarding food was shocking, and this was from an upscale venue that should know better, and was basically my reason for quitting as I didnt want to be a part of making people sick. One of the main reasons was keeping seafood at proper temps, hence the irony..

You should have a look at some of those UK TV Gordon Ramsey programs and the restaurants he visited in the UK and US you would really feel sick.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, StevieAus said:

You should have a look at some of those UK TV Gordon Ramsey programs and the restaurants he visited in the UK and US you would really feel sick.

Ive worked in restaurants for over 30+ yrs and even cooked in LOS, and have read A. Bourdains Kitchen confidential, as if I dont have plenty of stories myself...is why I commented on why I dont eat seafood in LOS

1 minute ago, ChakaKhan said:

Ive worked in restaurants for over 30+ yrs and even cooked in LOS, and have read A. Bourdains Kitchen confidential, as if I dont have plenty of stories myself...is why I commented on why I dont eat seafood in LOS

Wot he said.

Just now, adammike said:

Are we talking about fish from the ocean or farmed fish.personally I avoid farmed fish and prawns/shrimps.

I live in CM up north and as I walk cute chinese tourists around the night market I always note the seafood buffets.....there are clues......cloudy eyes on fish...the smell..the gills..etc.....they have these huge crabs and shrimp and lobsters..those cost alot to ship and buy.....and in my exps, esp in LOS owners do NOT throw out bad seafood if it can somewho be sold..even if in a soup or app.........take a nice red steak..once it browns in the case, due to oxygen , no one wants it, it LOOKS bad, then we would marinate it, to hide the brown, as its still good..or then it goes into a stew or cut up for another use....I used to cook for a place that sold a hot buffet...I got all the food headed to trash and I came up with the slogan "trash to cash"  as I had to figure out how to sell that stuff.....sell by dates..brown meat....chicken scraps-tenderloins---salmon trim..etc.....and I would bet you top dollar those thais will do anything to sell that seafood as its basically throwing out money...as it was the reason I stopped cooking in LOS as I saw some shocking things and I was not gonna go down for making people sick

Eat bad seafood once and it will be a memory you wont soon forget and can lay you out for your whole holiday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1