No Brexit trade deal yet as serious issues remain, British minister says

snoop1130

11 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You can bitch and moan and deflect and get defensive as you like: doesn’t change that you miserably failed at what you promised: no FTA, no cake, especially not the easiest one in history.

(Not that anyone other than your own lot ever believed your promises.)

Yawn. Use the full quote.

Pay attention to the final paragraph. Good lad.

image.png.a8ab3c72681f3a1735fbe321a6d63e2d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thus far, no deal has been done and both sides have given an exhausting array of conflicting signals that indicate, variously, that a deal is imminent, that talks have far to go and that a disorderly no-trade deal exit could be on the cards.

Yes looks like a "no deal" because the EU won't let go.

3 hours ago, paddypower said:

a quick summation: all indications are that 1. there will be no tariffs; 2. an arbitration clause for any disagreements about the level playing field issues and 3. fishing rights is going to be so open to interpretation that both sides can claim a win.  3 years of kickers in a knot and ...it's a draw. what a bunch of knackers - I'm off for a pint, then.

Had we stayed in the E.U , you would be going out for 0.6 liters 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The one and only?

Not sure what you mean ( as often ).

If you mean there were other reasons that Belgium joined the E.U.,

pretty sure there are.

I suppose mainly the same the other countries joined the Union, but I am not well informed enough to give you a list.

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Had we stayed in the E.U , you would be going out for 0.6 liters 

what ever units of measurement one uses, us expats in Thailand are screwed with the prices of beer and especially wine. Cannot believe wine prices from abroad; all currencies are going down;  yet up goes the prices.  in the past month. a bottle of Oz or Kiwi table wine just went from 359 to 399;  2nd time it in n18 months. More duty, I assume. I guess The Thourist Board doesn't have the ear of Treasury.

Not sure how talks are going as details are scarce. The situation reminds me of a football team where one player wants to leave but insists on using the team's pitch forever and telling the team he has to be allowed to have access to the the team when it suits him.

Amazing if Boris pulls it off, but without seeing the agreement it is still too early to decide if he is a stable genius.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Looks like we're cattle trucked then, standby for the pound to slide, how many years has this been going on ? Where's the oven ready deal that everyone was promised ?

I really have lost faith (never had much to start with) with all involved, what a very sorry, sad, state of affairs.

I am more than happy to retract my statement after hearing the news on the radio this morning, I still wonder why it took so long though, of course, not knowing the ins & outs of the deal I may well have to retract this statement. ????????????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am seriously tired of this miserable affair. Continued simple trade between the UK and the EU really should not have been that difficult.

Stunning that at the eleventh hour they still cannot resolve issues they have been working at for God knows how long.

While short term no deal would hurt the UK, and EU, I wonder how long Macron will have a job when French fishermen have zero access to the fish they rely on catching?

You have to hope some sanity finally pushes these two sides into a deal of some sort.

Simple trade = you follow our rules in our country and I in your country + we pay import duties when we cross a border, fill in all customs docs... THAT is what both sides try to avoid.

And when YOU want to have access to MY market, I want to have the same access to your market.

And when there is any dispute, we can go to the courts of the country where the dispute is.

I thought, that was clear now since 4 years discussion.

And when Macron just get 10% of all €uro-transactions out from the City of London to Paris, from 1 Jan 21 outside the EU courts, he gains enough to buy all French Fishermen out and give them a nice house wherever they want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

Hopeful optimism but no actual promises or guarantees of any trade deal (can, can, should, could, could). Also remember that May was farting about for 3 years.  

Their real mistake was to forget and underestimate the inherent arrogance and influence of the executive of this club, which we were unfortunate enough to get pushed into nearly 50 years ago.   

And were in all decision bodies like any other EU member state as PM of the UK, UK commissioner or UK members of the EU parliament. The problem is the English again thought to bring British Raj to Europe.

Pity, we did not listen better to Charles de Gaulle.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

It was explained that those were not lies , it was peoples lack of understanding English that was the problem .

People who didnt know what "could" means , thought those slogans were lies .

People who speak English fluently  know the difference between a promise and a prediction 

it starts with a promise (manipulation)  -> ends as a prediction (illusion)

be happy it's XMas!