As a London trader told me

when you know two languages, you are bilingual

with 3, you are triple lingual

with 4.. you are en genius

with just only one... you are British 

You speak my language , I have no need to learn yours 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

"Germany is now part of the E.U"., no Germany is the EU.,with its lapdog France at its heels.

Germany and France are both countries with a a lot of power in the world, because they have grown and developed in a way most other countries haven't.

And that is something the Brits never could digest, because they are now only a shadow of the empire they once were

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Germany and France are both countries with a a lot of power in the world, because they have grown and developed in a way most other countries haven't.

And that is something the Brits never could digest, because they are now only a shadow of the empire they once were

France have a lot of power ,yes at striking and having 3 hour lunch breaks ,and Germany is not in great shape either ,check it out.

• Sad 1

Quote about the fishing agreement in the so called deal done (long list of that deal  .....this only about fishing hidden almost in the last lines down down ...)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/24/boris-johnson-to-claim-victory-in-brexit-talks-leaked-paper-reveals

On fisheries, the issue that dogged the talks right to the end, the UK document says there was a “mutual compromise”. Frost had said that the UK should retain the right to close off access to European fleets if an annual negotiation over quotas did not result in a mutually satisfactory conclusion. Brussels was demanding greater assurances for its fishing communities.

The final deal provides for a transition period of five and a half years to allow new quotas to be phased during which European fleets will retain full access to waters, including the zone six to 12 nautical miles from the British coastline, an area the UK had wanted to retain exclusively for UK flagged vessels.

Edited by david555

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

Quote about the fishing agreement in the so called deal done (long list of that deal  .....this only about fishing hidden almost in the last lines down down ...)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/24/boris-johnson-to-claim-victory-in-brexit-talks-leaked-paper-reveals

On fisheries, the issue that dogged the talks right to the end, the UK document says there was a “mutual compromise”. Frost had said that the UK should retain the right to close off access to European fleets if an annual negotiation over quotas did not result in a mutually satisfactory conclusion. Brussels was demanding greater assurances for its fishing communities.

The final deal provides for a transition period of five and a half years to allow new quotas to be phased during which European fleets will retain full access to waters, including the zone six to 12 nautical miles from the British coastline, an area the UK had wanted to retain exclusively for UK flagged vessels.

Initally the EU asked for The EU countered by demanding unfettered access to UK waters for 14 years in return for giving back just 15 per cent of its quotas.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/12/23/brexit-dealwith-agreement-95-per-cent-else-needed/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Initally the EU asked for The EU countered by demanding unfettered access to UK waters for 14 years in return for giving back just 15 per cent of its quotas.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/12/23/brexit-dealwith-agreement-95-per-cent-else-needed/

I am only giving you the first technical's who slipped out in the latest news .... it is not boasting Vinny, i am no  Boris  ..... i just gave the quote .... calm down ...no worry's Vinny it is your U.K. waters  ....:wink:

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

When a Lion speaks to a Duck, he doesn't quack.

Which lion ? That old flee-skin in London ? 

The advantage of learning a few languages also gives you a better listening skills. Second, it gives you the opportunity to learn and experience other cultures a lot better. These both so many British lack.

Edited by puipuitom

2 hours ago, Susco said:

A SHADOW of an EMPIRE... They wish it was so much...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Opl said:

"Dieu est mon droit"

"Honi soit qui mal y pense"

British passport - Wikipedia Dieu et mon droit" la devise française des rois d'Angleterre

When you donot know French,.. ok, but that you are not even able to copy 4 words without a mistake ...

"Dieu est mon droit"...  No: "dieu et mon droit"  means in English: "God and my right".

see Dieu et mon droit - Wikipedia 

There must be another joke in, as I donot understand the second part ???? ""Honi soit qui mal y pense"  sorry, my French is not so good) Honi soit qui mal y pense - Wikipedia.

In current French usage, the phrase may be used ironically to insinuate the presence of a hidden agenda or a conflict of interest.

Edited by puipuitom

45 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

When you donot know French,.. ok, but that you are not even able to copy 4 words without a mistake ...

"Dieu est mon droit"...  No: "dieu et mon droit"  means in English: "God and my right".

There must be another joke in, as I donot understand the second part ???? ""Honi soit qui mal y pense"  sorry, my French is not so good) Honi soit qui mal y pense - Wikipedia.

In current French usage, the phrase may be used ironically to insinuate the presence of a hidden agenda or a conflict of interest.

Take it easy....it's Christmas...he's probably well merry.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Susco said:

Yes , we moved on from Empires and all that .

We dont seek World domination anymore .

Been there, done that , time to move on and to mingle with the rest of the world .

"Lesser" Countries will no longer accept being subordinates any more 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Modern French wording  "Dieu est mon droit" - this explains the typo.  But it's not incorrect - it's an other translation.

I have the reflex to write in modern French -  

This article below explains the motto "Dieu et mon droit" and  lists different translations, variants and usages 

Diderot's Encyclopédie lists the motto as Dieu est mon droit, which Susan Emanuel translated as "God is my right" 

Dieu et mon droit | Monarchy of Britain Wiki | Fandom

Same for " honi" which I first wrote "honni" as usual (modern French)  but corrected because it's here spelled "honi" (ancient)  -> in everyday life we use the expression meaning  "Shame on him who thinks evil of it"   

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2