I'm kicking myself: Scottish first minister sorry for mask error

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

where were the 60% at the referendum

You must remember that in 2014, we were repeatedly told that an independent Scotland would be out of the EU. This influenced a lot of people to vote to remain in the UK.

Academic research has been published which shows that a narrow majority of Scottish-born voters voted for independence in 2014, however a significant majority of English and Welsh people who were resident in Scotland at the time voted to keep us in the UK. The same goes for EU nationals. Those votes in favour of the union were sufficient to overturn the majority Scottish vote.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Of course I don't and nor do I pretend to. 

At the moment, entirely academic, but absolutely none of the business of those who will not, when it comes to pass, be involved.

Of course, leaving the UK is not in our hands. We need the permission of English and Welsh MPs to even ask the question, what with the vast majority of Scottish MPs obviously ready to enact referendum legislation if it was granted. If only the UK was as democratic a union as the EU...

The only way it might come to pass in our lifetime is for ???????????????????????????? , ???????????????????????????? and Northern Ireland to be included. Had ???????????????????????????? (or should I say ????????) done so in 2014 you'd be 'oot the noo!'

(Merry Christmas RR ????)

Edited by evadgib

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The only way it might come to pass in our lifetime is for ???????????????????????????? , ???????????????????????????? and Northern Ireland to be included. Had ???????????????????????????? (or should I say ????????) done so in 2014 you'd be 'oot the noo!'

(Merry Christmas RR ????)

I’m not sure if you noticed but you just rephrased what Ruamrudy said.

You even reposted his comment to ease recognition of your parroting his arguments.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure if you noticed but you just rephrased what Ruamrudy said.

You even reposted his comment to ease recognition of your parroting his arguments.

He hasn't called for a ????????-wide neverendum but probably will if ???????????????????????????? loses again ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

On 12/23/2020 at 7:48 PM, billd766 said:

She made a mistake and admitted it. It is not the end of the world.

That is a lot more than many politicians would do.

Nobody is perfect.

I don't even like her or her policies though I do support her 100% with this.

Seeing as how she was photographed, and that photo appeared in a national newspaper, she could hardly deny it, now could she?

She said "briefly" but no one knows what her idea of briefly is of course.

Joins a long list of politicians and politically connected who simply don't think the rules they make for others apply to themselves. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

If you think that both incidents are equivalent in terms of the actual events and each individual's subsequent response to them then your judgement must be called into question. 

Nice that you throw in a bit of stereotyping at the end there. 

And your judgment isn't the universal standard and is equally questionable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Seeing as how she was photographed, and that photo appeared in a national newspaper, she could hardly deny it, now could she?

She could have held a press conference in which she gave the most feeble excuses for breaking the rules.

She said "briefly" but no one knows what her idea of briefly is of course.

Probably less time than a 50 mile round trip on one's spouse's birthday takes.

Joins a long list of politicians and politically connected who simply don't think the rules they make for others apply to themselves. 

At least she has admitted her error and apologised for it; as have many of the politicians, such as Stephen Kinnock and Robert Jenrick, caught breaking the rules; plus others such as the Prime Minister's father. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, 7by7 said:

She could have held a press conference in which she gave the most feeble excuses for breaking the rules.

Probably less time than a 50 mile round trip on one's spouse's birthday takes.

At least she has admitted her error and apologised for it; as have many of the politicians, such as Stephen Kinnock and Robert Jenrick, caught breaking the rules; plus others such as the Prime Minister's father. 

But, but, but....................................what about, but, but.

All she had to do was apologies and say she made a mistake. No need to qualify it with "briefly".

She wouldn't hold a press conference because she wants it swept away. Accountability has never been one of her strong points.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

But, but, but....................................what about, but, but.

All she had to do was apologies and say she made a mistake. No need to qualify it with "briefly".

She wouldn't hold a press conference because she wants it swept away. Accountability has never been one of her strong points.

She did apologise, she did say it was a mistake. It was, by all accounts, a brief mistake.

So why are you making such a big fuss about it?

Correct; she didn't hold a press conference and spout a load of pony about an eye test in a feeble attempt to excuse her action.

Instead she made a public apology, with no excuses, in the Scottish Parliament. 

'I was in the wrong' over Covid rules breach - Sturgeon

Addressing MSPs at Holyrood, the first minister said she wanted to express "how sorry I am for my breach of rules that I ask all of us to follow".

Ms Sturgeon said: "I want to be clear that regardless of the circumstances, I was in the wrong. There are no excuses.

"These rules do apply to me, just as they do to everyone else, and the rules really matter.

"I am kicking myself very hard - possibly harder than my worst critic ever could - but more importantly I'll be making sure I don't drop my guard again."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2020 at 5:47 AM, Baerboxer said:

An independent Scotland would be out of the EU - fact. Scotland has never been a EU member because the UK is the sovereign nation, and the former EU member which chose to leave. An independent Scotland would be free to apply for membership and follow the criteria all applicants must follow. The EU made that very clear.

Please supply links to the academic research you mention. 

Sorry for the late reply - Merry Christmas.

https://blogs.sps.ed.ac.uk/scottishreferendumstudy/files/2015/03/Scottish-Referendum-Study-27-March-2015.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2020 at 5:59 AM, Baerboxer said:

All of your posts, and this is a good example, are tinged with your constant denial of reality, expresses in your choice of wording.

It is the British parliament, the government of the UK, that gives permission. They are the elected government of the UK which consists of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

It is not a trading bloc of countries, that is morphing into a closer union. Nothing like. So pretending the UK and EU are organizationally similar, claiming both are countries, is simply false equivalence.

But of course it suits your agenda to deny reality. 

As for democracy, it isn't democratic for a small minority to dictate they have the right, whenever they fancy, to tell the vast majority how it's going to be and make hugely significant decisions that affect the majority. 

More and more, Scottish nationalists look like spoilt children who throw their toys out of the pram when they can't get their own way. Some of the biggest history revisionists ever.

That is your perspective, but while we may both hail from the same island, we do not, regardless of how emphatic you feel to the contrary, come from the same country. We each come from countries which have, by dint of historic accident, ended up in an unequal union. 

I would much prefer that we both respected each others' rights to self determination and reached an amicable and cooperative future which addressed the concerns of all sides. It is not too much to ask, is it?

• Like 2