Social Distancing - Are airlines doing enough?

Ludite

On 12/24/2020 at 2:17 AM, Ludite said:

Airport managements in Thailand seem to be doing a good job trying to keep passengers socially distanced e.g. at gate lounges seats are clearly marked for social distancing but are the airlines doing the same? Proper social distancing could be critical in minimising the spread of Covid and particularly the new highly transmissible variant of the virus that is spreading fast in the UK.

On a flight to Chiang Mai today on a major domestic airline, at a time when there are worrying concerns about a resurgence of infections in different parts of Thailand, passengers were seated close together without any apparent concern for social distancing. There were three in our row,  my partner and I and a Thai while across the aisle just one person sat in a row of three. In fact there was uneven seating throughout the aircraft. With more care passenger seating could be more evenly spaced.

On arrival at Chiang Mai all passengers on board our aircraft were off loaded onto just 2 busses. On our bus there was less than half an arm’s length between passengers, hardly social distancing. This lack of social distancing by airlines needs to be addressed.

Planes that are not full of passengers have to be loaded so as to balance the weight evenly throughout the cabin particularly for take off and landing.

• Like 1

Made me laugh the last two flights I was on in Thailand and international out to uk. All the sanitizer , masks etc . Seat spacing in departure area with every second seat crossed out . Yet in these seats you had people sitting back to back and then when I got on the plane every seat was taken ???? . Pointless exercise for show !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

To add to the other replies, airlines are struggling badly - if you want them to have every other seat empty would you be prepared to pay double for you flights?  If not quit complaining.

I flew to Chang Mai today on Bangkok Airways and thought they did a good job.  The flight was maybe 85/90% full and they had spread people out as best they could but I was sat in a full row - not a problem.

On boarding they gave you a squirt of hand sanitiser.  Before take-off they went down the aisles offering squirts of sanitiser.  On exiting they were offering squirts of sanitiser.  And after landing everyone was told to remain in their seats.  Once the doors were open they called five rows at a time (starting from the front, obviously) to get their belongings and exit.  After the five rows were done they called the next five.  Everyone complied.  No bus.   Of course then everyone ends up in the same luggage hall but easy to find space if you need.

Coupled with that when we checked in in Bangkok we were given a printed QR to scan and fill out before boarding.  You needed to enter flight details (including return), seat numbers, ID numbers, phone numbers, address in Chang Mai and any dependents with you.  Once done you get an sms sent to you.  At CM you were not allowed to exit the baggage area until you could show the SMS.  So I would say they are taking it seriously and doing as much as can be expected.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:

You have a couple of options ...

Dress up in a full plastic rain suit, including booties, wear a cloth face mask and a plastic face shield.

Charter - if coming from the USA, Van Nuys to BKK, about $200,000.00 USD

Or quit worrying about something that is odds-on never going to happen. Take sensible precautions and get on with your life.

Stress is a Killer

How about first class tickets? Do they have first class tickets in those flights?