I'm fed up

Pravda

I sympathize, and it is why I never stayed long time in Chiang Rai area. On another thread there was discussion of Bangkok vs. Phuket on cost. Not mentioned in cost comparison is cost to health and to sanity of not being able to breath. It can be very bad in ChaAm Huahin too when they are burning. The only suggestion I can make is to relocate during the time of year when pollution is very bad. It isn't so bad in the south, with Phuket, Surat Thani, Hat Yai somewhat better.  When you live in big city you will choke on factory and  motor vehicle fumes.  If the  shutdown happens, you may be in for a month of less pollution.

We seem to be getting an AQI of around 130 in the afternoon in Pattaya on most days now, and it's very hazy but at least there's no obvious odour of smoke of traffic pollution. I'm still getting my daily walk along the beach and haven't suffered any side-effects of the murky air yet, anyway.

As an example of how bad it is, this is a picture I took yesterday from Jomtien of Koh Larn. If you look hard enough you can make it out in the smaze, but it should be crystal clear, not looking like that.

IMG20201223130227.thumb.jpg.3391cd02c7756ed731e4c97911d8b7ac.jpg

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

We seem to be getting an AQI of around 130 in the afternoon in Pattaya on most days now, and it's very hazy but at least there's no obvious odour of smoke of traffic pollution. I'm still getting my daily walk along the beach and haven't suffered any side-effects of the murky air yet, anyway.

As an example of how bad it is, this is a picture I took yesterday from Jomtien of Koh Larn. If you look hard enough you can make it out in the smaze, but it should be crystal clear, not looking like that.

IMG20201223130227.thumb.jpg.3391cd02c7756ed731e4c97911d8b7ac.jpg

You are correct.i live at cosy beach.

Its hard to see koh Larn sometimes.

The air doesnt smell at all..

I should know..ive never been a smoker,dont have sinus problems and come from one of the cleanest countries in the world.

I would quickly notice if the air was smelly..

3 hours ago, timendres said:

It is not just you. When I walk out of the purified air of my office, it smells like a bonfire is burning nearby.

Thats probably because there is one Burning nearby.

Burning all the Plastic Waste and Styrofoam from the Weeks takeaway Food and Drink.

I hang out on the river, often, when in bkk/Nonthaburi.. Quite a few swear by the breeze there.. that helps the pollution, too.  Also, you don't get the heat island effects like you do in Sukhumvit, Silom, Lad Prao, etc.. 

7 hours ago, Pravda said:

I love Thailand, I really do, but I have been whinging and whining about bad air since last year. Then the covid happened, lost a lot of income but thinking I'd have to leave the country and never to return put me into major depression. I convinced my wife to buy a condo and we will be staying. 

But when I made this somewhat life altering decision I completely forgot about bad air I was whinging and whining  last year. 

Can anyone else actually smell the filthy air or is it just me? It almost smells like a factory. I have xiaomi on full (the noisiest level). It does the job, but I can't have it run like this at night. 

I'm outta here! 

Information missing in this Post

You have not listed your location. 

Edited by OffshoreMig

2 hours ago, DuiDui48 said:

Are you sure your photo is from Thailand...because never ever seen a beach as clean as the one on the photo..;-)

Hua Hin beaches are like this most of the time. Especially now with few tourists.

As for the air pollution in Bangkok: I've been there several years and have a problem with items made of leather, vinyl and rubber Disintegrating. My office chair, headphone ear pillows, the rubber gasket on my laptop, a pair of expensive dress shoes, the liner of my motorcycle helmet etc. Not sure of the cause? I think maybe air pollution but a friend thinks it is caused by a bacteria?

Edited by onekoolguy
add to response

5 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

Hua Hin beaches are like this most of the time. Especially now with few tourists.

Having been to both recently, dog piles are a serious problem at HH, and Jomtien, as is the soi dog problem, itself. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

Having been to both recently, dog piles are a serious problem at HH, and Jomtien, as is the soi dog problem, itself. 

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

I walk the beach most mornings between the Hilton and Market Village and have not noticed much of a problem? Not near as many soi dogs around as there used to be?

1 hour ago, onekoolguy said:

My office chair, headphone ear pillows, the rubber gasket on my laptop, a pair of expensive dress shoes, the liner of my motorcycle helmet etc. Not sure of the cause? I think maybe air pollution but a friend thinks it is caused by a bacteria?

Are they stored in an area that has humidity or moisture? When I moved into my condo it had a shoe cabinet so I put several shoes and sneakers inside. I few months later I opened it and they were all covered with dust and mold. I was able to rub 3 of them clean, but had to throw out 3 others. The other side of the cabinet faces the shower and I suspect that moisture seeped in to contributed to mold growth. 

9 hours ago, Pravda said:

I love Thailand, I really do, but I have been whinging and whining about bad air since last year. Then the covid happened, lost a lot of income but thinking I'd have to leave the country and never to return put me into major depression. I convinced my wife to buy a condo and we will be staying. 

But when I made this somewhat life altering decision I completely forgot about bad air I was whinging and whining  last year. 

Right now it is showing 157aqi, but I swear to god I have a much worse reaction than last year. This time I can literally smell the filthy air and my sinuses are shut even I'm squirting steroids into my nostrils. 

Can anyone else actually smell the filthy air or is it just me? It almost smells like a factory. I have xiaomi on full (the noisiest level). It does the job, but I can't have it run like this at night. 

I'm outta here! 

So what's the problem hey, if you don't like it where you are now ,,,,,,Move ,,,,,

Down South here we don't have those Dirty air problems  or any other serious problems . 

Some people they have problems Wherever they live. 

Sometimes it depends on how fussy one is.

• Like 1

I've lived on Sukhumvit road in Bangkok for 12 years and have never noticed the air being bad, I certainly can't smell it unless a particularly dirty truck goes past while I'm walking.  You must be extra sensitive I guess.   

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pravda said:

Right now it is showing 157aqi, but I swear to god I have a much worse reaction than last year. This time I can literally smell the filthy air and my sinuses are shut even I'm squirting steroids into my nostrils. 

I'm outta here! 

I am not saying that you are wrong, maybe I'm missing something, but what does the noise level on a smartphone have to do with

filthy air?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am not saying that you are wrong, maybe I'm missing something, but what does the noise level on a smartphone have to do with

filthy air?

Dude, it's air filter 

Edited by Pravda
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love Thailand,

when I made this somewhat life altering decision I completely forgot about bad air I

I'm outta here! 

Well, you definitely seem like a confused person.

On the big picture of life, we should just be thankful we are not in some ICU unit saddled to a ventilator.

Lot worse things in life then some bad air that you can escape if you want.

Merry Xmas.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, you definitely seem like a confused person.

On the big picture of life, we should just be thankful we are not in some ICU unit saddled to a ventilator.

Lot worse things in life then some bad air that you can escape if you want.

Merry Xmas.

Ventilator is exactly where I'm headed if I continue breathing this filth. 

And how can I escape it?