Is Bangkok a dangerous city?

1fortheroad

2 hours ago, TSF said:

Just as long as you keep your mouth shut, mind your own business, don't try and socialize with Thai males, (especially when they're drinking) you'll be OK. 

I disagree , like anywhere in the World , dont argue with drunk people and just walk away if the mood starts to get unpleasant 

All depends on what area, Bangkok is huge city.  with slums,tourists areas, high scale upper class areas, cheap apartment complex, housing projects often all in same area.

Bangkok in general is safe. But also not every crime is reported to the police and news, like this recent incident, thai man robbed/bag snatched a korean person, he admited he targeted foreigners, but mostly koreans and Japanese. And he done it a few times. Crimes against tourists/foreigners is not as rare as you may think. Especially during high season.

Most crimes in Thailand are not reported at all.

Edited by ta158
Wrote wrong
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why is it unlikely?

Do I have to give you the name of the guy and do you want to see the hospital bill or what would convince you?

There are some crazy drug addicted people out there who want their next shot.

Don't you hate being called a liar? I know I do

• Like 1

In general, it's safe but there is a low crime rate (not zero crime rate)

It's not dangerous but there are lots of Thai people who would like to overcharge foreigners.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 4:57 PM, varun said:

Very dangerous. 

The moment you give in to "welcome welcoomme", "you buy me dink" or "hansum man",

it's all downhill from there

The moment you response to 'want masat?'

It depends on what part of city and what time. It will take you some time to figure it out, but till that time just watch around. In fact it is not a bad idea to watch around yourself all the time. You won't lose anything by doing so. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 2

13 years Lower Sukhumvit never saw a single incident even when the street bars were open and drunks everywhere at 5am. The lady boys also disappeared with the street bars, shutting them down was a brilliant move. 

There was a movie called Bangkok dangerous. Title made up to fit the movie.

ITS VERY safe 

There are very dangerous areas, like all cities, that tourists don't see.

I've been mugged, pickpocketed, put in hospital after attacked by pool cue-wielding youths, a taxi driver with a wheel lever, etc

However, much safer than where I come from, Aberdeen. 

Why do you think all houses have metal bars on the windows? Crime by drug addicts is very high.

There are over 6 million registered guns here, for a reason -  self defense, especially if you drive overnight.    

In my opinion you have to take the same precautions when walking around late at night or early A.M.in any city in the world .Dont stagger around in a dark alley drunk with your wallet hanging out of you back pocket , keep your wits about you if you are gonna approach suspect characters better to cross the street to avoid them , if you do meet them keep walking and dont make eye contact...IS Bangkok safe ..?? YES If you want an ununsafe city try Manilla..especially around Malate even during the day its not safe.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:21 PM, tgw said:

I've visited many different spots in Bangkok and I would say it's safe at any time of the day and night.

Not dangerous at all if you behave like a sane person, stay away from drugs, don't trust strangers and don't start arguments.

Perhaps all the posters who said that BKK is not safe could explain why they say it isn't safe.

Safe. 

But if you cross the line with attitude and behaviour with a fellow Thai that takes objection - the consequences will be vastly different to the consequences you may face in your own home town. Expect violence, pain, and 5-10 fellow Thai's around you taking turns to snap your leg off - all because you objected to a taxi fare / bar payment. 

All cities are dangerous to a point, you just have to be street smart. Your background helps.

I've worked in most of the major financial cities in the western world ( all European ones, BKK, Singapore, Joburg, Cape Town, Sydney, New York and many more)

In Dublin I had 2 people working for me mugged in separate incidents, one was robbed by threats with a HIV needle, one robbed of her purse walking down the street next to the Princess hotel in one day.

In Joburg I had an Irish guy phone me up to get him out of there as somebody had shot at his car 

In Rome a 6 foot 5 guy mugged.

In both Turin & Zurich again muggings after a few beers

I, myself in New York if I hadn't noticed what was going on and planned my escape.

Happens everywhere, you just have to keep your wits about you - even when drunk.

BKk is certainly no worse in my experience than the others cities I've lived/worked.

I personally don’t feel it is more dangerous than anywhere else but still wary.

A previous poster above was talking about soi 22 and I remember the news about the Scottish lady who died after having her bag snatched in sukhumvit soi 22. 

A friend (Thai) had an attempted bag snatch and we were recently warned at work (from the local police) about a Thai man who had been conducting a series of sexual assaults in our area.

This can happen everywhere though and I feel safer here than I ever did in London.