Is Bangkok a dangerous city?

1fortheroad

On 12/26/2020 at 9:24 AM, Neeranam said:

There are very dangerous areas, like all cities, that tourists don't see.

I've been mugged, pickpocketed, put in hospital after attacked by pool cue-wielding youths, a taxi driver with a wheel lever, etc

However, much safer than where I come from, Aberdeen. 

Why do you think all houses have metal bars on the windows? Crime by drug addicts is very high.

There are over 6 million registered guns here, for a reason -  self defense, especially if you drive overnight.    

When I was stuck in Europe this summer I did two month UK trip (I am from Poland) that ended in Aberdeen. This city has very uneasy vibe going on, especially at night when people are drunk.

Also on top of the bad weather, whole city is built from  grey blocks which gives depressing feeling.

I feel safer here in Bangkok at least when theres no propaganda on tv saying that white people brought the virus.

On the topic:

Can you long term residents tell us which neighborhoods are considered unsafe for expats and orThais? day or night. Not that I plan to venture far from where I live, I just like to read about big city districts.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 9:24 AM, Neeranam said:

There are very dangerous areas, like all cities, that tourists don't see.

I've been mugged, pickpocketed, put in hospital after attacked by pool cue-wielding youths, a taxi driver with a wheel lever, etc

However, much safer than where I come from, Aberdeen. 

Why do you think all houses have metal bars on the windows? Crime by drug addicts is very high.

There are over 6 million registered guns here, for a reason -  self defense, especially if you drive overnight.    

I’d like to hear those stories and what led up to them.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:21 PM, tgw said:

I've visited many different spots in Bangkok and I would say it's safe at any time of the day and night.

Not dangerous at all if you behave like a sane person, stay away from drugs, don't trust strangers and don't start arguments.

yes my thoughts too and true for most of thailand