Odds of a Brexit deal this year rise to 97% - betting platform Smarkets

snoop1130

Odds of a Brexit deal this year rise to 97% - betting platform Smarkets

625d8529d8ba72c00376cfd60f0c68cf.jpg

FILE PHOTO: EU flag are placed on broken glass and British flag in this illustration picture taken January 31, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The odds of a Brexit deal being sealed this year jumped to 97% on Thursday, data from betting exchange Smarkets showed, up nearly 40 percentage points from a day earlier, when reports first emerged a deal was likely.

Punters on the exchange were betting a Brexit deal was only 59% likely on Wednesday and less than 50% likely at the start of the week.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-24

59 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

FILE PHOTO: EU flag are placed on broken glass and British flag in this illustration picture taken January 31, 2020

You don't say .. I'd have never have noticed .. 

Is it a metaphor for this whole affair having become real pane in the bottle & glass .. 

• Like 1

Of course both sides will claim to have been successful in the negotiations, that was the main aim of both sides, a deal is good for the UK so lets take it for just that, if it also benefits the EU then as should be expected, no need to fight over the scraps to prove a point. Although I fully understand the oneupmanship will continue on Tvisa and in the political arena it was ever thus.

Personally as stated previously having a laugh over all the wasted words spouted surrounding 'if there is a no deal brexit' ????

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Of course both sides will claim to have been successful in the negotiations, that was the main aim of both sides, a deal is good for the UK so lets take it for just that, if it also benefits the EU then as should be expected, no need to fight over the scraps to prove a point. Although I fully understand the oneupmanship will continue on Tvisa and in the political arena it was ever thus.

Personally as stated previously having a laugh over all the wasted words spouted surrounding 'if there is a no deal brexit' ????

You forgot the waisted words of ‘I wanted a no deal Brexit’.

Which is fortunate, because those baying for a ‘no deal Brexit’ as recently as this morning would rather the rest of us forgot they had.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Weird, so this leave without a deal stuff was all smoke and mirrors. Whatever, if it stabilises the pound I'll be glad. It's difficult to plan your future when your main source of income could tank at any time, more than it has already that is. On the plus side, I doubt the pound could go much lower. Yeah, it actually worked to my advantage cos I had significant sums invested here in Thai baht, most of that has been used up. A slight rise in the pound/baht exchange rate would be very welcome, at this stage in my life.

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

I did a previous bet on those betting websites for the UK not to exit back in 2018 when Maybot was claiming that the deadline was some ridiculous date in October, and made a nice 100 GBP against silly Brexiteers thinking otherwise ????

How much did you lose yesterday?

Edited by evadgib

54 minutes ago, evadgib said:

How much did you lose yesterday?

I was betting that there would be a deal, after last week bluff and the Sunday ultimatum violated, I knew Boris would not go through a full hard brexit,

I should have placed a bet, but couldn't find on the bet exchange the odds and the payout I was looking for with at least 100% gains

Edited by GrandPapillon