Thoughts on OS Big Sur 11.1

Andy from Kent

Last night while sleeping the Air downloaded  the latest Apple OS called Big Sur.        I figure it's a good move to keep up to date on  updates so I set it for automatic updates

This time however it seems everything is just a little bit different and it'll  take me a while to get used to.

Any thoughts on  Big Sur?

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

. It could be good for your usage I’ve got it on an external so not a daily user.

Not quite sure what this means?    Anyway, what is your  review of the Big Sur so far?

AS I say, it seems  so many  things have undergone at least a subtle change icluding the icons at the top and the functions they perform.

One  very positive matter is the volume controls which were  previously  acting up seem to have gone through a healing process.

Maybe I should take the tour offered by Apple.????

21 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Not quite sure what this means?    Anyway, what is your  review of the Big Sur so far?

AS I say, it seems  so many  things have undergone at least a subtle change icluding the icons at the top and the functions they perform.

One  very positive matter is the volume controls which were  previously  acting up seem to have gone through a healing process.

Maybe I should take the tour offered by Apple.????

I have several external disks with different versions of the OS on them. Also a few different computers. The one that is running 24/7/365 (apart from PEA power cuts) is on Snow Leopard. The one that can run Big Sur has either Sierra or High Sierra  on its internal disk, I have external disks with Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina & Big Sur. I occasionally boot into the different Systems to run the system update to keep them as current as they can be. 

So since I have only run Big Sur for enough time to update itself and other programs my usage is probably in minutes or a couple of hours (not days or weeks) and I was probably just waiting for updates to download or entering registration data so yes there are some differences, but since I don’t use it on a day to day basis I have no review to give. 

On 12/24/2020 at 6:28 PM, Andy from Kent said:

Last night while sleeping the Air downloaded  the latest Apple OS called Big Sur.        I figure it's a good move to keep up to date on  updates so I set it for automatic updates

This time however it seems everything is just a little bit different and it'll  take me a while to get used to.

Any thoughts on  Big Sur?

Haven't been able to update due to MacBook Air not having enough free space!

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I have several external disks with different versions of the OS on them. Also a few different computers. The one that is running 24/7/365 (apart from PEA power cuts) is on Snow Leopard. The one that can run Big Sur has either Sierra or High Sierra  on its internal disk, I have external disks with Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina & Big Sur. I occasionally boot into the different Systems to run the system update to keep them as current as they can be. 

So since I have only run Big Sur for enough time to update itself and other programs my usage is probably in minutes or a couple of hours (not days or weeks) and I was probably just waiting for updates to download or entering registration data so yes there are some differences, but since I don’t use it on a day to day basis I have no review to give. 

May I ask you. do you have a MacPro?

I have a MacPro 5.1, also with different start-up discs but experience slow startup problems with many apps, also when switch from 1 to another HD it can sometimes take-up 2-3 minutes to start up.

I get bored and for that reason today I bought a second hands Macmini 3.6 Ghz 2018 to start up quickly. It has installed Big Sur, and it looks like not bad.

9 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

May I ask you. do you have a MacPro?

I have a MacPro 5.1, also with different start-up discs but experience slow startup problems with many apps, also when switch from 1 to another HD it can sometimes take-up 2-3 minutes to start up.

I get bored and for that reason today I bought a second hands Macmini 3.6 Ghz 2018 to start up quickly. It has installed Big Sur, and it looks like not bad.

No, I’ve never had the money or need for one. As to startup speed using a moderate sized SSD will reduce that immensely, also stripping out the startup processes should cut down the time as will running 7,200 rpm drives and a NVME SSD will give a significant speed boost over a SATA drive SSD.

17 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No, I’ve never had the money or need for one. As to startup speed using a moderate sized SSD will reduce that immensely, also stripping out the startup processes should cut down the time as will running 7,200 rpm drives and a NVME SSD will give a significant speed boost over a SATA drive SSD.

Thanks for the answer.