UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure if you’ve figured it out yet but tariff free S.American beef will decimate UK beef farming.

If you ask @luckyluke and his man on the street  do you want to pay more for a product built into the price protection for the producer  or do you want to pay for a product based on what is costs excluding any price protection

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If you ask @luckyluke and his man on the street  do you want to pay more for a product built into the price protection for the producer  or do you want to pay for a product based on what is costs excluding any price protection

Personally it can vary for me, I like the Belgian Herve cheese,, but certainly the Stilton.

When buying I don't care if it is protected or not, I never bought because of the " nationality" of the product, I buy the product for what it means to me.

I will never buy something which I don't like, even if it is Belgian.

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are a number of problems with your simplistic argument.

The fist is, what is the actual cost of production?

S.American beef produced at the cost of destroying the Amazon Forrests both for grazing and cattle feed production is naturally cheaper than beef raised on UK farms.

The second is food security, wiping out UK farming isn’t such a bright idea given the outcome of the UK then being dependent on imported food (a strange kind of sovereignty).

There are other arguments around the impact of job losses in rural communities and the whole question of who actually benefits from the price cut, the consumer or the food industry?

But don’t bother your head with all that, stick with simplistic arguments that don’t challenge your world view.

The EU doesn't seem bother about your concerns when it comes to how does the EU opening  up new car markets without incurring tariffs charges

What is the new South American beef deal that will affect Ireland?

Mercosur deal has been accused for ‘selling out’ Irish farmers

The South American bloc gets access to EU markets in eight years with its beef, poultry, sugar and ethanol. Brazilians expect tariffs on orange juice, instant coffee and fruits to be zeroed. 

The Irish Farmers’ Association was unequivocal in its condemnation of “a backroom deal with big business and kowtows to the likes of Mercedes and BMW in their drive to get cars into South America”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/what-is-the-new-south-american-beef-deal-that-will-affect-ireland-1.3942932

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You do know what the word ‘Deal’ means don’t you.

Incidentally, you first argue the UK can have a  deal with S.American for beef (this being a bonus of Brexit).

You then produce evidence that the UK would have soon to have got access to tariff free S.American beef as a member of the EU., but you frame that as a bad thing.

Your arguments are all over the place.

No I welcome a Uk deal with S.American for beef and any other  products they supply such as , poultry, sugar and ethanol. orange juice, instant coffee and fruits.

I was merely pointing out to you that your beloved EU doesn't share your concerns

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/what-is-the-new-south-american-beef-deal-that-will-affect-ireland-1.3942932

Edited by vinny41
forgot url
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

No I welcome a Uk deal with S.American for beef and any other  products they supply such as , poultry, sugar and ethanol. orange juice, instant coffee and fruits.

I was merely pointing out to you that your beloved EU doesn't share your concerns

I see you’ve been at the Google again.

Let’s wait and see what the UK’s  post Brexit trade deals do to British farming.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

what I understood is that British labs cannot certify goods sold in the EU anymore : British industries will have to ask a European Lab for the testing and certification of their products.

The chemicals/pharma industries, where there are many molecules to certify now have to jump through hoops. So multinationals are bound to change the location of their research centers?

If your are unable or unwilling to  provide a link to support your post , your claim should be considered suspect or misleading

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

what I understood is that British labs cannot certify goods sold in the EU anymore : British industries will have to ask a European Lab for the testing and certification of their products.

The chemicals/pharma industries, where there are many molecules to certify now have to jump through hoops. So multinationals are bound to change the location of their research centers?

4 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-comply-with-reach-chemical-regulations

note that I already shared on this forum the video and script of hearings of the UK parliamentary commission about REACH they were pretty clear

The reach link doesn't cover your post "what I understood is that British labs cannot certify goods sold in the EU anymore : British industries will have to ask a European Lab for the testing and certification of their products"

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You mean like the EU - Mercosur FTA agreement EU seems to have no issues  sacrificing its farmers in return for new car markets

you need to give us more details

As I remember there were Brazilian beef import mainly.

Brazil was the world's largest exporter of beef, providing close to 20 percent of total global beef exports, outpacing India, the second-largest exporter

Now one of the main beef producers in the EU was ....the UK. 

The UK exported 84,789 tonnes of fresh and frozen beef in 2019. Exports are mainly to the EU (90%)

so do you suggest importing beef from Brazil is less of a problem now the UK is not a member?

Does the "free-from-shackles" UK want to have a FTA with Brazil (or does it have one already)?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So there you have it, something additional that UK businesses need to learn and comply with.

Are you trying to help your arguments or what?

If I see a post that is providing misleading or incorrect information I post the latest information provided by the UK Government

by  utilizing a little known tool on this forum called Google

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

you need to give us more details

As I remember there were Brazilian beef import mainly.

Now one of the main beef producers in the EU was ....the UK. 

so do you suggest importing beef from Brazil is less of a problem now the UK is not a member?

Does the "free-from-shackles" UK want to have a FTA with Brazil (or does it have one already)?

No the UK doesn't have a FTA with Brazil at the moment but they have indicated they are seeking one similar to the EU FTA

Brazil to seek a Mercosur-UK trade deal similar of agreement with EU

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-trade-britain-idUSKBN1ZU32X

Edited by vinny41
forgot url

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If I see a post that is providing misleading or incorrect information I post the latest information provided by the UK Government

by  utilizing a little known tool on this forum called Google

All well and good, but you post UK Government information that reveals additional requirements on British businesses.

Your reliance on google has already been noted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1