UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

6 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

If the UK only tries to replicate the EU but with 1/5 of the weight what are the UK negotiating objectives?

Does the UK want to protect its beef industry when facing the largest beef exporter in the world? if it does, what is the give-and-take of this FTA?

In the end, do you think Global Britain can get more than the EU, how and when

You will have to ask UK Gov that question

15 minutes ago, kingdong said:

And what did the eu do for our farming industry? In the mid 80s a mate of mine came over from rhodesia and bought the equipment from a dairy farm for a song from an english farmer who were being paid by the eu not to milk their cows.

You never see a farmer on a bike.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Hi from France said:

what I understood is that British labs cannot certify goods sold in the EU anymore : British industries will have to ask a European Lab for the testing and certification of their products.

The chemicals/pharma industries, where there are many molecules to certify now have to jump through hoops. So multinationals are bound to change the location of their research centers?

Would multinationals not be multi national thus moving product between sites, what the difference between approving the product in Europe and having the product approved by Europe?

• Like 1

( Beyond the headlines, though, the deal covers hundreds of smaller issues.....nah ..... just details.... details...  Boris assures  ... :wink: )

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1376684/brexit-deal-news-eu-uk-trade-talks-boris-johnson-echr-courts-security-cooperation-spt

Brexit deal betrayal: EU reserves right to 'suspend deal' if UK drifts away from ECHR
THE EU reserves the right to suspend the Brexit deal if the UK drifts away from the European Courts of Human Rights, it has emerged.

By MARTINA BET
PUBLISHED: 08:43, Fri, Dec 25, 2020 | UPDATED: 09:09, Fri, Dec 25, 2020

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

( Beyond the headlines, though, the deal covers hundreds of smaller issues.....nah ..... just detais  details  Boris assures  ...)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1376684/brexit-deal-news-eu-uk-trade-talks-boris-johnson-echr-courts-security-cooperation-spt

Brexit deal betrayal: EU reserves right to 'suspend deal' if UK drifts away from ECHR
THE EU reserves the right to suspend the Brexit deal if the UK drifts away from the European Courts of Human Rights, it has emerged.

By MARTINA BET
PUBLISHED: 08:43, Fri, Dec 25, 2020 | UPDATED: 09:09, Fri, Dec 25, 2020

Trying to work out if you think this is a good, or bad thing, having the option of allowing UK parties access to the ECHR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

If the UK only tries to replicate the EU but with 1/5 of the weight what are the UK negotiating objectives?

Does the UK want to protect its beef industry when facing the largest beef exporter in the world? if it does, what is the give-and-take of this FTA?

In the end, do you think Global Britain can get more than the EU, how and when

It would appear the EU are not willing to risk it hence the 'deal'

• Like 1

The Guardian asked four people for their thoughts, with some pleased and others not.

Which one do you feel the closest to? 

• ‘It’s a complete failure’ Charles Turner from Leamington Spa, a sociology lecturer “This deal is a complete failure, it’s very simple. We won’t grow as fast as the rest of Europe, and I think by the first half of 2022, we’ll realise we’ll need a much closer relationship with the EU

• ‘I voted to leave and I’m pleased’ Ken Thompson, 75, from the east Midlands, who used to work for the military (..)  is happy about the deal but remains sceptical about the implications of Brexit, despite having voted for it. 

• ‘It’s no better than Theresa May’s deal’ Charles Lea, 73, from Lancashire, is exasperated. “This deal is a complete and an utter sellout. Right now, we’re still in the EU

• ‘I’m glad a no-deal was avoided, but I weep silently’ Teresa Curtis, 64, from Stockport, a retired midwife, health visitor and university lecturer, is glad a deal has been reached, but has strong reservations.“Whilst I certainly did not relish a no-deal scenario, I cannot see any benefit to the UK within this agreement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/25/a-step-forward-or-a-failure-britons-react-to-the-brexit-deal

Edited by Hi from France
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

It's been agreed that visas will not be needed for UK passport holders to visit the EU, but they will be limited to 90 days in any 180 days or 6 months. 

So is it going to be similar to a few years ago here where the IO has to check all the stamps and add up the days etc or rely on a computer system that will start a green/amber/red flag system on screen. 

Or maybe you will stick your passport in the auto gate and a big flashing sign will light up with

'NO ENTRY, GO BACK HOME'

????????

Nice idea for all the pensionarios having an own property in... Spain, Portugal, France etc.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Nice idea for all the pensionarios having an own property in... Spain, Portugal, France etc.

Not sure if they will re-think the idea on visas for those who own a place in the EU and do 6/6 months. As someone mentioned earlier on maybe 3/3/3/3 months or some kind of different visa.

14 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Those already living there can stay as long as they want , those who have holiday homes there can go for three months at a time , nothing has changed .

Those who have holiday homes there only stay for a few weeks or a few months 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

We, foreigners in Thailand cannot own land , cannot work at any job , need to have an income , need to jump through numerous ever changing hoops to get visas  , yes, we dont like that, that the way it is .

Thailand protects itself from foreigners , why shouldnt the UK do likewise ?

I had a job in Thailand for 14 years, quite legally and will do so again once my contract ends where I am currently resident. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes, that was my point

Sheesh...

For Countries to enter the Eurovsion song  contest these days, the Countries just have to show the contest live on National television .

Im not too sure about the 1950's and 60's .

Different World back then 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

For Countries to enter the Eurovsion song  contest these days, the Countries just have to show the contest live on National television .

Im not too sure about the 1950's and 60's .

Different World back then 

I know you do not have to be in the eu to enter the contest. That was my point...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1