mig welder

jvs

I do not know if i posted this in the right place ,if i did please move it to where it is supposed to go.

I am looking for a Mig welder for light use,180 amp would be plenty.

Seen a lot for sale on different sites but have no idea what is good or bad.

Would like one with core flux so without the need for a gas bottle.

Seen some prices around 6000 Baht but also around 12000 and it looks like they pretty much

have the same features.

User experience please,

4 hours ago, jvs said:

Thai build over Chinese build?Inverter better then transformer?

The latter will make a big difference in the price i would think?

Try Googling the models/makes you are interested in. (You might do better searching in Thai) What do you plan on welding? Gasless don't do well with smaller gauge metals.

• Like 1

Lifetime of any type of welder depends of what you want to weld and the duty cycle.

Cheap models (even with inverter) will have it difficult to weld penetration welds on +10 mm materials and with weld endurances of 8h/day.

If you plan to weld thin carbon steel profiles occasionally you can go for these cheap local market models. But you need to check the spare parts availability in Thailand.

Most of these small models die due to electronic failure, overheating or start/stop (rolling) mechanism failure.

For (semi-)professional applications you should aim more expensive models.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 2:41 PM, stubuzz said:

The units above use Euro 3 torches which are readily available. However, note that Chinese branded welders often work below the advertised specs.

Does the Euro 3 spec not only refer to the connection to the welders and to to the consumables themselves? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, jvs said:

I do not know if i posted this in the right place ,if i did please move it to where it is supposed to go.

I am looking for a Mig welder for light use,180 amp would be plenty.

Seen a lot for sale on different sites but have no idea what is good or bad.

Would like one with core flux so without the need for a gas bottle.

Seen some prices around 6000 Baht but also around 12000 and it looks like they pretty much

have the same features.

User experience please,

HI @jvs

i have a 180a Mig welder which i purchased in Australia its a unimig. That was a few years ago that i bought it. you can buy the same now here. The brand is Jasic,

it sold by KTW online and they have a full range of spares available..========

it uses 5Kg spools which are getting easier to buy as of late, but the gassless wire isn't off the shelf most places in 5 kg spools.

you can change the gun very easily to one you like or a bit more heavy duty and its not to technical to use and the components used are all very generic in that tia of machine. so easily searchable and findable on Lazada, shoppee, and even more so on ali express.

As for the duty cycle its quite low,  but i think you will struggle to make it a problem unkless you have an abundance of prepped metal in front of you to weld. i use mine all day with no worries obviously i am not burning wire all day at a constant rate.

buy a decent helmet with 1:1:1:1 lens, and some decent gloves.

also dont be afraid of using C02 gas, personally i find it much easier and get a much better looking weld than with the gasless wire as i haven't quite worked out the difference in the way it lay down. i pay 600Bht for a large tank after buying the tank my self.

https://www.ktw.co.th/mig160-n219-เครื่องเชื่อมป้อนลวด

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shaemus said:

HI @jvs

i have a 180a Mig welder which i purchased in Australia its a unimig. That was a few years ago that i bought it. you can buy the same now here. The brand is Jasic,

it uses 5Kg spools which are getting easier to buy as of late, but the gassless wire isn't off the shelf most places in 5 kg spools.

you can change the gun very easily to one you like or a bit more heavy duty and its not to technical to use and the components used are all very generic in that tia of machine. so easily searchable and findable on Lazada, shoppee, and even more so on ali express.

As for the duty cycle its quite low,  but i think you will struggle to make it a problem unkless you have an abundance of prepped metal in front of you to weld. i use mine all day with no worries obviously i am not burning wire all day at a constant rate.

also dont be afraid of using C02 gas, personally i find it much easier and get a much better looking weld than with the gasless wire as i haven't quite worked out the difference in the way it lay down. i pay 600Bht for a large tank after buying the tank my self.

What are you welding that you se CO2? I liked it for galvanized, but for most other I liked either argon (Al) or an argon CO2 mix (steel & SS). 

Anyone going MIG is much better served getting a unit that will run gas. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, shaemus said:

HI @jvs

Thank you,just the kind of info i was looking for.I had not decided yet but this one may be the one.Can use both gas and coreflux and can use as a stick.Duty cycle 60%looks good also and 2 years warranty.

15 hours ago, jvs said:

Thank you,just the kind of info i was looking for.I had not decided yet but this one may be the one.Can use both gas and coreflux and can use as a stick.Duty cycle 60%looks good also and 2 years warranty.

Happy to help.

Check the range out it might be worth buying a machine that has slightly more amps so if you decided you wanted to burn a larger wire you could do that. my machine apparently is capable of using 1.2mm wire but i have't found the correct drive roller yet, which is a subject you might find usefull to learn about if you dont allready know as you will need a selection of rollers if you are changing wires regularly my machine came with enough rollers to get me started..

happy welding, and there is a youtube channel called weldingtipsandtricks which is excellent.

Shaemus

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shaemus said:

Happy to help.

Check the range out it might be worth buying a machine that has slightly more amps so if you decided you wanted to burn a larger wire you could do that. my machine apparently is capable of using 1.2mm wire but i have't found the correct drive roller yet, which is a subject you might find usefull to learn about if you dont allready know as you will need a selection of rollers if you are changing wires regularly my machine came with enough rollers to get me started..

happy welding, and there is a youtube channel called weldingtipsandtricks which is excellent.

Shaemus

I used to weld a lot when i was younger,mostly stick in the old days.

Later i used a mig a lot but always in a welding shop so the quality of the machine was nothing i even thought about.Looking forward to getting one and doing some projects.

I went for the Sumo brand for both TIG and MIG both have worked very well and no probs so far after about 2 years> I bought them from Siam Global Group https://www.sgb.co.th/ They have heaps of spares and consumables.The MIG can also do Stick and TIG (scratch start).Both welders are 200 amp models.

DSC02096.thumb.JPG.174ab43330a80abc2a16d13591db1ac7.JPG

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I went for the Sumo brand for both TIG and MIG both have worked very well and no probs so far after about 2 years> I bought them from Siam Global Group https://www.sgb.co.th/ They have heaps of spares and consumables.The MIG can also do Stick and TIG (scratch start).Both welders are 200 amp models.

DSC02096.thumb.JPG.174ab43330a80abc2a16d13591db1ac7.JPG

Do you remember how much you paid for the mig welder?

2 hours ago, shaemus said:

Happy to help.

Shaemus

Or roller sets you can flip. We ran 0.9 hard wire and 1.2 flux core (for stainless) so we would just change out the gun, clean and flip the rollers in the feed. 

We always trained our guy on stick for a couple days before moving them to production (MIG).

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a welder today,Jasic 160 amp mig welder.

160 amp will be plenty for the work i want to do and i think i got a very good deal.

Ordered online from the Jasic website,cheaper and more goodies then any where on Lazada

or Shopee.

Will get it in two or three days.

A friend gave me an empty gas bottle so i will fill that up and good to go!

1 hour ago, jvs said:

I ordered a welder today,Jasic 160 amp mig welder.

160 amp will be plenty for the work i want to do and i think i got a very good deal.

Ordered online from the Jasic website,cheaper and more goodies then any where on Lazada

or Shopee.

Will get it in two or three days.

A friend gave me an empty gas bottle so i will fill that up and good to go!

Congratulations, when you get it some pictures and a report will be nice

• Like 2

Got the welder today and i must say much better then expected!

It came with 5 kilos of flux core wire so i will use that up and after get normal

welding wire and use the gas.

Setting it up was not difficult and i had to adjust the settings a little bit to get going.

The first few bead are a little rough but the later ones are much better i think.

Still has a little bit of slag but not like arc welding.Sputters a little bit but i hear that is somewhat normal for flux core wire.

Starting some projects next week and number one will be a cart for the welder and the gas bottle.

It also came with a heated gas gauge but there is no need to heat the gas if things don't freeze up?

IMG_20210129_133808.jpg

IMG_20210129_133834.jpg

IMG_20210129_140808.jpg

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

The heated regulator/flow-meter is for CO2 which will freeze up if you are welding continuously for a while.

20/80 CO2 Argon does not freeze up fast i think and that is what i will be using.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:54 AM, Yellowtail said:

What are you welding that you se CO2? I liked it for galvanized, but for most other I liked either argon (Al) or an argon CO2 mix (steel & SS). 

Anyone going MIG is much better served getting a unit that will run gas. 

If buying a mig welder get one that wil take a co.2 bottle ( i assume thailand uses co2 for draught beer) check out a bar that uses gas bottles for its draft beer see if you can buy a bottle off them and when its empty take it back cross his palm and swap it for a full one.mate of mine runs a w.m club thats where i get mine,bought a gauge and adapter and made up a welding trolley with angle iron and wheels off a supermarket trolley.