Adding a new socket.

stubuzz

I am looking for the best/neatest way to add new sockets. All cables are clipped to the wall and there is no give at all. My idea is to remove the cable from socket 2 and connect it to the new socket. Then, a new wire from the new socket to socket 2.

I have looked for inline connectors that could act as a spur but i have not found anything suitable.

Plug.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I am looking for the best/neatest way to add new sockets. All cables are clipped to the wall and there is no give at all. My idea is to remove the cable from socket 2 and connect it to the new socket. Then, a new wire from the new socket to socket 2.

I have looked for inline connectors that could act as a spur but i have not found anything suitable.

Plug.jpg

I think your idea is the cleanest and safest way to do it. If I was doing something like that, that's how I would do it also. 

• Like 1

Would an outlet strip work?  One of the new models with both AC and USB connectors?  Then use the cord to either plug into nearest outlet or remove plug and attach wire to outlet back if need the outlet itself.  Can cover the wire with plastic AC duct to make look good.  

Edited by lopburi3

I would just spur off the back of the nearest outlet in 2.5mm flat, it's not a ring so no need to maintain ring integrity.

If you do need to connect wires together (no room in the outlet terminals for 3 wires) then wire-nuts of the correct size are OK, some like to add a turn of tape as well for extra security, I don't bother. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would just spur off the back of the nearest outlet in 2.5mm flat, it's not a ring so no need to maintain ring integrity.

if it's not in the kitchen then yes, why not. will look neater too.

Edited by jastheace

10 hours ago, stubuzz said:

No, The new socket is for behind a TV.

By that you mean will be higher level than the two other outlets?  In that case probably better to cut the line directly above and use a junction box to cover.  Wire nuts or the much better (IMHO) type below can be used to connect wires.  If you unable to attach wire to wall plastic strips can be used (also you can use instant glue but not easy).  

image.jpeg.ea47c5af257c16220e75196424efb12e.jpeg

I have not used this type but should be exactly what you need.  Use one on each original wire.

Excellway pct-2 2pin colorful docking connector electrical connectors wire  terminal block universal electrical wire connector Sale - Banggood.com

https://shopee.co.th/(-Artglor-)-อุปกรณ์เชื่อมต่อสายไฟ-5-ชิ้น-Pct-222-Terminal-Block-Spl-2-3-Push-In-Ter-i.211496270.8500458976

Edited by lopburi3

Too late to edit again but this seems even better choice, and one piece, for connection.  The above type seems to have different models with that shown likely just to splice wire and the two red handle type to add circuits.  Shopee seems to sell both types on same page but did not seem to have the 2 connection available.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-2-4-2-6-1-pc-mini-fast-wire-connector-universal-wiring-cable-connector-push-in-conductor-terminal-block-i905024826-s1829996444.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.174.1af7602756zH6w&search=1

1 ชิ้น เทอร์มินอลต่อสายไฟ ข้อต่อสายไฟ ตัวจั๊มสายไฟแบบ แบบเข้า 2 ออก 4 หรือ เข้า 2 ออก 6 1 pc Mini Fast Wire Connector Universal Wiring Cable Connector Push-in Conductor Terminal Block

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

Like this?  You would need a crimper and probably not the collection.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pvc-straight-butt-connectors-electrical-crimp-terminals-wire-cable-i229717868-s351499425.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.33.15383f05u0krjt&search=1

56 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

That kind and others of the same type as individual packs  are available from places like Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu etc

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That kind and others of the same type as individual packs  are available from places like Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu etc

I would keep them for low voltage/high amperage DC rather than AC where they have no insulation rating and insulation is easily damaged during crimp (most of us would not use a professional unit set up properly).  Would never use for more than one wire as even then connection is often too loose.  Crimpers are for professionals.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Too late to edit again but this seems even better choice, and one piece, for connection.  The above type seems to have different models with that shown likely just to splice wire and the two red handle type to add circuits.  Shopee seems to sell both types on same page but did not seem to have the 2 connection available.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-2-4-2-6-1-pc-mini-fast-wire-connector-universal-wiring-cable-connector-push-in-conductor-terminal-block-i905024826-s1829996444.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.174.1af7602756zH6w&search=1

1 ชิ้น เทอร์มินอลต่อสายไฟ ข้อต่อสายไฟ ตัวจั๊มสายไฟแบบ แบบเข้า 2 ออก 4 หรือ เข้า 2 ออก 6 1 pc Mini Fast Wire Connector Universal Wiring Cable Connector Push-in Conductor Terminal Block

An even better version would be this one as you can include the PEC. The search term is “fast connector” on Lazada.

61229B12-3E0E-46AE-B577-D3A0A23EC35B.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I would keep them for low voltage/high amperage DC rather than AC where they have no insulation rating and insulation is easily damaged during crimp (most of us would not use a professional unit set up properly).  Would never use for more than one wire as even then connection is often too loose.  Crimpers are for professionals.

I certainly do not use that kind and other crimp terminals for more than a single cable into them, or for that one, into each end. But though I’m no professional I’ve been using crimp terminals for the last 40 years, yes I’ve had a failure or 2 when I started but not for years now. 

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

oo late to edit again but this seems even better choice, and one piece, for connection.  The above type seems to have different models with that shown likely just to splice wire and the two red handle type to add circuits.  Shopee seems to sell both types on same page but did not seem to have the 2 connection available.

I saw these on Amazon, but the reviews claim that they do not have any safety markings.

31 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I saw these on Amazon, but the reviews claim that they do not have any safety markings.

- Rated voltage 450V - Rated current 32A

If you mean UL type stamps these are clones from China of a patented product (much more expensive) so likely can not be obtained.  If check YouTube you will find that test just as good as the name brand.  I can also say they are a very tight and strong connection.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-2-4-2-6-1-pc-mini-fast-wire-connector-universal-wiring-cable-connector-push-in-conductor-terminal-block-i905024826-s1829996444.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.80.1ed02287BSOtrS&search=1

Edited by lopburi3

Don't use any intermediate connection wire directly to the new socket from '!' perhaps using the cable currently going to '2' as you suggest and use 2.5 flat cable from the new to  '2'  most hardware shops have plastic ducting you could use ... the easiest have sticky backs ..you peel off the covering paper put the duct where you wish it to be then clip .. if necessary it can be beneficial to drill through the plastic base .... I find putting a piece of wooden chopstick into the drilled hole is perfect for clipping

11 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

The low melt solder / heat shrink sleeve type might be less hassle

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500pcs-Waterproof-Solder-Seal-Sleeve-Heat-Shrink-Wire-Connectors-Butt-Terminals/333633358304?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4dae1909e0:g:hrMAAOSw-e1f3B-s&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACkBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkCrLl8erj3ATP5raQxjc%2F%2BzqYeKhlyPsLlzovcxEeOpdC44JZdPCH3dN18vLP4SkLFqx9PpNOIrleU3Yu%2FczTDvJ%2BqB3gLr%2Fp4MAb%2FNsXEjYmZDgoBxzo9uNkVJOBxX7mOERlCwE6S18T0yA%2BdTzgXHv350bQy3WVAPacvOi0kL2rkDQQ%2Fw3jSzp5x%2F2ESJiXDikt4bcZuT7nCJO%2FQmrSPV1ynAkn3VQb%2FU4smXBW2MuD7KBxd60KXkLwI79R5jz1BCTI7r06tdZxyRcSQ8Vuh3ZM05786Pb%2F6BUivaLPOE1fhb%2Fbp4fwNlF18aeNaZnrig7BapS93eRhjPtCNWP4BnKHm6fd6PNgY1UEaDRhk4uNitCuCBjInM2umBaO8jOuVZ354QpLOpEWnUFRlI%2F%2BOY9hTtZD9xxwaG%2FXo5fWPLPV3HAXkyjSGrJBcoqJsx8uD%2F5u0DQ7kH2VRCRCkmuAOKYvvUVDinV2ir%2FfcBtRvcdSA0m%2BPZvr%2FDhQqsvFUOh1kR7Kx1h%2BDGYTGnZ8hTsje%2FT1aAMtFrEX0sXfAjZ61A8VE14knbJyor5o6MvUeITpYxOvUFilnWxvl%2FcV5bQE%2FKOa4w1JBUZURd9RtF3RKFB3f1kCqfdvqpOv10%2BeHALU6vathebAmlWrZF5dP7whaQqe4O1YGYthHMmYssEr8La5bAwH8P3Kevz8X%2F7JoB%2F2YwBKF8R3%2FHJsW1Ho6R%2FJiNeQ%2FVhcvdGMtRK8wFj35dILn2Mk7eARlEEVU7wcXCV1CfBAhgrYsR2nTqehDuqKjaAS52v4bJcT6lUD4B1zNy%2FcvjnLaEHDi4IO0helkkyF|cksum%3A333633358304cfa1664054d84b368dd54fc5959bd38e|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524