How to buy in Thailand: laptop North American version without Thai keyboard

wn78

During my last stay in Thailand I had a scare when I thought my laptop went bust (it didn’t in the end).  I want to prepare for such eventuality in the future.  If it breaks or gets stolen, I will need to replace it within 2-3 days because I need it almost daily.  I will need a North American version of a laptop, with English keyboard only, without Thai lettering, and with flat-prong adapter. Amazon US site refuses to ship a laptop to Thailand.  If I pop into a mall in BKK, they only sell local versions with Thai letters.  I checked Lazada, and I also see only local versions online.  Is there an online retailer in Thailand, or better yet, serving the entire SEA region, where I can get a North American version of a specific laptop and have it shipped to me express within 2-3 days?  I need it to be a reputable retailer that will sell me a brand-new item that will come with warranty and return policy in case of a defect.  I will be looking for Asian brands, such as Asus, Acer, or Lenovo, but I need a North American model, or any English-lettering only model (I can get by with the wrong adapter type and replace the adapter later).

All Aliexpress laptop have querty laptop  , many with backlight .

I had same problem with those double system (Thai/western ones)... making Confusion by typing

I bought Chuwi one from them 

https://store.chuwi.com/products/chuwi-aerobook-plus

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

i once went shopping for laptop in thailand with the same requirement, it took me few weeks to find only one kind of model , HP , with only english letters. i bought it just for that reason, and it was a mistake. the machine

broke down quickly.

i think that all APPLE shops in thailand have only english laptops in stock. but i do not like apple.

otherwise, your only option is to fly to hong kong or singapore and buy there the only english laptop, allmost in every shop.

Edited by SCOTT FITZGERSLD
  • Like 1

When I go to Amazon and do a search on laptops the whole first page has various makes and models that ship to Thailand. I didn't check any further and did not check the keyboard layout. Perhaps if you are doing the search from the US it doesn't show it also ships to Thailand. There will be a message "This item ships to Thailand" underneath the item.

• Like 1

If that special type of laptop is that important , and you are scared not finding a replacement in time, I would suggest to carry a spare special laptop with you. On top of that, while installing my O.S., I have the option ( in Ubuntu even I am forced to select my type of keyboard) . I have to specify american , as the @ # are the indicators to are write of wrong for me.

Edited by ardsong
  • Thanks 1

Im typing on a thai pc and also  bought a netbook back in the day-Acer, both have thai letters+english,

but I dont even notice the thai keys....or could be a handy way of learning thai alphabet  

Or could be a way to share my pc should a thai cutie need to check her facebook! ????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wn78 said:

During my last stay in Thailand I had a scare when I thought my laptop went bust (it didn’t in the end).  I want to prepare for such eventuality in the future.  If it breaks or gets stolen, I will need to replace it within 2-3 days because I need it almost daily.  I will need a North American version of a laptop, with English keyboard only, without Thai lettering, and with flat-prong adapter. Amazon US site refuses to ship a laptop to Thailand.  If I pop into a mall in BKK, they only sell local versions with Thai letters.  I checked Lazada, and I also see only local versions online.  Is there an online retailer in Thailand, or better yet, serving the entire SEA region, where I can get a North American version of a specific laptop and have it shipped to me express within 2-3 days?  I need it to be a reputable retailer that will sell me a brand-new item that will come with warranty and return policy in case of a defect.  I will be looking for Asian brands, such as Asus, Acer, or Lenovo, but I need a North American model, or any English-lettering only model (I can get by with the wrong adapter type and replace the adapter later).

I just bought my daughter a Acer Laptop for Christmas and it has an english and Thai letter keyboard and also it had the 3 flat prong plug that is standard use in North America. I bought it at JIB

3 hours ago, FredLee said:

When I go to Amazon and do a search on laptops the whole first page has various makes and models that ship to Thailand. I didn't check any further and did not check the keyboard layout. Perhaps if you are doing the search from the US it doesn't show it also ships to Thailand. There will be a message "This item ships to Thailand" underneath the item.

The only problem with that is due to the presence of a battery, the item is classed as dangerous goods, and hence the freight cost is eye-watering.

I once tried to return a defunct Kindle under warranty to Amazon, the freight was more than the Kindle was worth, about 4000 baht.

• Like 1

I bought my Lenovo on Amazon US. Many supplier DO ship to Thailand. They DID have an import handling/tax/shipping fee but even after that it was 30% cheaper than in Thailand, and I got the US keyboard. In fact: Amazon refunded some of the tax fee as they hold as a (highest guess) deposit and refund the rest.

It DID state (and arrive in) 5-7 days though - so might be too long to wait for you but maybe other supplier faster.

My tablet is a ultra portable tablet/PC (Chuwi Minibook) that runs full Windows with 16GB RAM/256GB SSD and 8 Inch screen, that is my back up emergency, should the main one die on travels.

Cheers!

I found that there are lots of notebooks available that have English letter predominantly.  As to the plug just buy an adapter.  Ordering from anyone is going to take days if not week.

Zeer rangsit has an awesome selection and you can get a great deal.

If not give me a shout I have a laptop that I brought from Canada that I can sell you.  10 years old though.

10 hours ago, wn78 said:

I read you said you'd tried BKK Malls but with no luck?! Fortune IT Mall is pretty good (Pratunam area BKK) Can get there by the khlong boat if you're staying along Sukhumvit road. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "flat prong adaptors"? If you're talking about the power cable then an adaptor can be gotten for everything there.

A short motocy ride to the khlong boat station (if you're along Sukhumvit road or thereabouts), a short walk once you get the end of that river section.

English keyboards are coming out of their ears there, so you won't have any trouble buying one of every price-point imaginable. If you don't mind paying more then the big Central group malls have the designer range of laptops e.g. $3000 Lenovo's. and of course the Apple stores are there too. You can get repairs there for anything you can imagine, and you can politely barter a bit too if you see a model you want. 

• Like 1

It's very easy to find items on Amazon that can be shipped overseas. On the main page, click on the "deliver to" box that is left of the search bar. On the drop down, you can add an overseas "ship to address". Using this address, will only show the products that can be shipped. 

I did a quick check on shipping costs to Thailand. On a Asus Vivo priced at $520, the shipping fees were near $75, with arrival Jan 5-13.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

What duties and taxes are payable once it arrives in Thailand though ?  And what is the procedure for having it cleared and paid ?

I assume you are referring to ordering from Amazon. They will charge you Thai tax/duty upon purchase. Consequently it will fly through Thai customs and the postie will deliver it direct to you without incident. As myself and other have noted, Amazon often overcharges for duty and you'll probably get a small refund a month or two later.

To be honest, I was initially furious when Amazon started charging THAI duty upfront, but after trying this a few times it works out better than my previous schemes to get it ordered and delivered via some other means and then usually having it get held up in customs and then having to go down to the airport and pay the duty in person and collect it. Yes, there's a chance you can once in while sneak something past Thai customs and save a few bucks, but frankly, it's not worth the hassle anymore. Amazon makes it so convenient now. BTW, don't forget what you're NOT paying when ordering from Amazon - state/local sales tax, which can be 10% or more. When you factor that in, you're not really paying much more in Thai duty usually.

12 hours ago, wn78 said:

Why not order from Dell or Asus Thailand online. I selected a model with both languages but the QWERTY is American. 

15 hours ago, wn78 said:

Bought a spare laptop  from lazada a couple months ago English/western keyboard only. 

PUBG GTA V BF V Gaming notebook 1st hand notebook genuine notebook gaming notebook gaming notebook 15.6 inch ips LED Laptop AMD Ryzen 7 2700U 3.8GHz Radeon Vega 10 cu / RAM 8 / 12GB / 512GB Send mouse Lenovo

Just had to change the input language  from Thai To English/American/Australian.

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Bought a spare laptop  from lazada a couple months ago English/western keyboard only. 

PUBG GTA V BF V Gaming notebook 1st hand notebook genuine notebook gaming notebook gaming notebook 15.6 inch ips LED Laptop AMD Ryzen 7 2700U 3.8GHz Radeon Vega 10 cu / RAM 8 / 12GB / 512GB Send mouse Lenovo

Just had to change the input language  from Thai To English/American/Australian.

Was that just a lucky find?  I don't see a way to specifically search or filter such laptops on their website.

4 hours ago, lagavulin1 said:

Why not order from Dell or Asus Thailand online. I selected a model with both languages but the QWERTY is American. 

I checked Acer Thailand, they carry only local versions, which makes sense for them.  I will check Asus to see if they allow English only.  I want English only, no Thai letters.  

5 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

It's very easy to find items on Amazon that can be shipped overseas. On the main page, click on the "deliver to" box that is left of the search bar. On the drop down, you can add an overseas "ship to address". Using this address, will only show the products that can be shipped. 

Great tip!  I was able to find the same laptop I own now that can ship to Thailand.  It’s Amazon Global Shipping and it adds about 20% to the cost with tariffs, about $200 for my price range.  But the main problem it still takes up to 2 weeks, and who knows there maybe be more delays, and I will not want to wait that long….unless I can rent a loaner in BKK for 2 weeks while I’m waiting???  Need to investigate a loaner option.

17 hours ago, bendejo said:

If you care to travel to Malaysia the laptops there have English-only keyboards.  Prices are within 10% of what you'd pay in Thailand (last I looked).  There are IT malls all over the place, but I'd recommend a big town like Penang or KL.  I would think Singapore would have them also.

Another way would be to buy one in Thailand and then have the keyboard replaced.  I did this once when some jackass spilled coffee on my machine (ahem!) and managed to salvage it by replacing the keyboard.  I think it was a Compaq.  Cost around 700b for an OEM keyboard, an official Compaq replacement part keyboard was about double that price.  If you care about having a warrantee this may void it, though.

Thanks on the Malaysia tip.  Although I would not want to travel just to get a laptop, and a roundtrip trip to Malaysia might cost the same as getting an inexpensive throwaway temporary laptop in BKK as another option.

Also:  There is Amazon Singapore, but it would not ship to Thailand, so it seems even more restrictive than Amazon US… I did not check other online retailers in Singapore or HK yet.  The main thing, I will need fast 2-3 day shipping.

9 hours ago, jonnit said:

thanks, but standard stickers would not work because they would cover the keyboard backlight. I could cut a little square out of each sticker to cover the Thai letters only, but it’s such a PITA and would make annoying bumps on each key…..

10 hours ago, camble said:

I just covered the Thai characters with strips of black tape

A felt pen could help (if the color is abrasion resistant).:smile:

It would not resort to overseas shipping just for the keyboard layout.

If at all: order a replacement keyboard overseas (never found one on Thai domestic sites).

You could also try to contact the manufacturers service point in Thailand and ask about it.

They obviously have pure US layout.

I learned it the expensive way: my Lenovo keyboard is very expensive as the keys can be illuminated. 2900! Baht (after water ruined the original).

And guess what: the US only keyboard was spoiled by US/Thai stickers :cheesy: (ridiculing the illumination function BTW).

(just saw this in post above)

I removed them and all good.

I said goodbye to my German keyboard layout (used for decades) as even more difficult to find. Not to speak of other languages.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Consider getting a Thinkpad; they have a lot of replaceable (even user replaceable) components, including the keyboard (about $20 in Asia). I think the keys may even be replaceable individually. Some models also have an LED above the screen to light the keyboard. I've come to prefer this to a backlit keyboard; those don't light up things nearby, like the cup of coffee you then spill onto your laptop, forcing you to buy another backlit keyboard...