Lintel

DrJack54

Hey Guys, below is 2 pics from inside and out to a patio area. You can notice gap between window and door. I wonder if this is required to support opening. The aim would be to remove window and door and replace with aluminium sliding patio door.

Any ideas very much appreciated.

Screenshot_20201226-214752.png

Screenshot_20201226-214703.png

Hmmm, you will have to remove some render at each end to be sure that the oversail is correct. But other than that, its almost certain that there is only one lintel supporting the wall above the window and door so you should be fine.

If the lintel is also the protruding concrete structure above the window, no way is it oversailing enough on the left hand side and you'd be well advised to put it right as part of your alteration.

For a span that size the oversail should be at least 150mm at each end if a normal re-inforced lintel has been used.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

Just found another pic. I took many when inspected townhouse however it was all very quick. This pic which is looking at the two adjoining homes (all identical) shows each has window. Guessing about 1800mm. My place has this added rear patio. It would seem previous owner just removed the window and replaced with 'half window' and doorway.

Screenshot_20201227-100602.png