China to leapfrog U.S. as world's biggest economy by 2028: think tank

rooster59

2020-12-26T034242Z_2_LYNXMPEGBP007_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-ECONOMY-GDP.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People look at the skyline of the Central Business District in Beijing, China, April 16, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter

LONDON (Reuters) - China will overtake the United States to become the world's biggest economy in 2028, five years earlier than previously estimated due to the contrasting recoveries of the two countries from the COVID-19 pandemic, a think tank said.

"For some time, an overarching theme of global economics has been the economic and soft power struggle between the United States and China," the Centre for Economics and Business Research said in an annual report published on Saturday.

"The COVID-19 pandemic and corresponding economic fallout have certainly tipped this rivalry in China's favour."

The CEBR said China's "skilful management of the pandemic", with its strict early lockdown, and hits to long-term growth in the West meant China's relative economic performance had improved.

China looked set for average economic growth of 5.7% a year from 2021-25 before slowing to 4.5% a year from 2026-30.

While the United States was likely to have a strong post-pandemic rebound in 2021, its growth would slow to 1.9% a year between 2022 and 2024, and then to 1.6% after that.

Japan would remain the world's third-biggest economy, in dollar terms, until the early 2030s when it would be overtaken by India, pushing Germany down from fourth to fifth.

The United Kingdom, currently the fifth-biggest economy by the CEBR's measure, would slip to sixth place from 2024.

However, despite a hit in 2021 from its exit from the European Union's single market, British GDP in dollars was forecast to be 23% higher than France's by 2035, helped by Britain's lead in the increasingly important digital economy.

Europe accounted for 19% of output in the top 10 global economies in 2020 but that will fall to 12% by 2035, or lower if there is an acrimonious split between the EU and Britain, the CEBR said.

It also said the pandemic's impact on the global economy was likely to show up in higher inflation, not slower growth.

"We see an economic cycle with rising interest rates in the mid-2020s," it said, posing a challenge for governments which have borrowed massively to fund their response to the COVID-19 crisis.

"But the underlying trends that have been accelerated by this point to a greener and more tech-based world as we move into the 2030s."

(Writing by William Schomberg; Editing by Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-27

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

A few things to consider here. First of all Xi won Trump's insane trade war, hands down. Trump was knocked out cold, 2 minutes into the first round. He simply does not know how to negotiate his way out of a paper bag. And he was likely outclassed by 60 or 70 IQ points. Which is not hard. 1

Second, in general, Asia is on the ascent, while the West, and especially the US, is on the decline. For a few decades, but worse now, than before.

I look at the US, and I see the Western Roman empire circa mid 5th century, prior to Odoacer marching into Rome. 

Trump simply precipitated the inevitable decline. Whether or not the CCP remains in charge is irrelevant to China's growth and dominance. I don't like it. But, it is what it is. I predict in 50 years or so, the US will only be the 4th or 5th biggest world power. 

Though I welcome criticism aimed at improving the US or anywhere, your Trump laser focus is blinding. Look at China's trade surplus and think, 1) Obama, 2)Trump, 3) corona virus.  Can you see the three trends?

https://www.cfr.org/blog/falling-trade-rising-imbalances

China Trade Surplus (Monthly Annualized)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rabas said:

Though I welcome criticism aimed at improving the US or anywhere, your Trump laser focus is blinding. Look at China's trade surplus and think, 1) Obama, 2)Trump, 3) corona virus.  Can you see the three trends?

https://www.cfr.org/blog/falling-trade-rising-imbalances

China Trade Surplus (Monthly Annualized)

A trend which is not related to Trump as the US trade deficit with China has not decreased under Trump (incl. In 2019 before Covid)

Edited by candide

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sending China back to the stone age would require a major nuclear war.

It might only require a couple more CoV-SARS-2 mutations. As the rest of the world approaches 100 million cases, the mutations start coming fast. Of course, we may all be in the stone age by then.

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is no easy solution.

Agree. But the world needs to find one.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Spreading Covid 19 to the world has given them a good head start! So let's all just sit back and watch them take over! ????

The Americans did that in 1918 with the Spanish Flue, from Kentucky. Killed somewhere between 2.5 - 5 % of world population. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

2020-12-26T034242Z_2_LYNXMPEGBP007_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-ECONOMY-GDP.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People look at the skyline of the Central Business District in Beijing, China, April 16, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter

LONDON (Reuters) - China will overtake the United States to become the world's biggest economy in 2028, five years earlier than previously estimated due to the contrasting recoveries of the two countries from the COVID-19 pandemic, a think tank said.

"For some time, an overarching theme of global economics has been the economic and soft power struggle between the United States and China," the Centre for Economics and Business Research said in an annual report published on Saturday.

"The COVID-19 pandemic and corresponding economic fallout have certainly tipped this rivalry in China's favour."

The CEBR said China's "skilful management of the pandemic", with its strict early lockdown, and hits to long-term growth in the West meant China's relative economic performance had improved.

China looked set for average economic growth of 5.7% a year from 2021-25 before slowing to 4.5% a year from 2026-30.

While the United States was likely to have a strong post-pandemic rebound in 2021, its growth would slow to 1.9% a year between 2022 and 2024, and then to 1.6% after that.

Japan would remain the world's third-biggest economy, in dollar terms, until the early 2030s when it would be overtaken by India, pushing Germany down from fourth to fifth.

The United Kingdom, currently the fifth-biggest economy by the CEBR's measure, would slip to sixth place from 2024.

However, despite a hit in 2021 from its exit from the European Union's single market, British GDP in dollars was forecast to be 23% higher than France's by 2035, helped by Britain's lead in the increasingly important digital economy.

Europe accounted for 19% of output in the top 10 global economies in 2020 but that will fall to 12% by 2035, or lower if there is an acrimonious split between the EU and Britain, the CEBR said.

It also said the pandemic's impact on the global economy was likely to show up in higher inflation, not slower growth.

"We see an economic cycle with rising interest rates in the mid-2020s," it said, posing a challenge for governments which have borrowed massively to fund their response to the COVID-19 crisis.

"But the underlying trends that have been accelerated by this point to a greener and more tech-based world as we move into the 2030s."

(Writing by William Schomberg; Editing by Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-27

it has already happened.

Western GDP calculations are completely blown up because of overpriced services industry and social/labor costs.

When France decides that every car driver must have a yellow jacket in his car, it causes a bigger rise in GDP in France because the imported vests are sold with a significant sales margin as well as heavily taxes, but exported at a cheap price from Chin, so it is only of very little help to China's GDP.

But really, France's economy has been weakened in the process.

If you want to compare the power of economies, compare industrial production using an equal valuation for the output.

Edited by tgw
  • Thanks 2

The ruling regime in the PRC is a disgrace. Sadly it will go from strength to strength given the support of apologists in the West. This goes way back to the late 1940s when Washington amazingly switched support from Chiang Kai Shek to Mao Tse Tung.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

The Americans did that in 1918 with the Spanish Flue, from Kentucky. Killed somewhere between 2.5 - 5 % of world population. 

Ya think maybe the the world was a slightly different place then. Perhaps communications were slightly less sophisticated? There was no CDC. It wasn't even known what caused the Spanish Flu. 

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A few things to consider here. First of all Xi won Trump's insane trade war, hands down. Trump was knocked out cold, 2 minutes into the first round. He simply does not know how to negotiate his way out of a paper bag. And he was likely outclassed by 60 or 70 IQ points. Which is not hard. 1

Second, in general, Asia is on the ascent, while the West, and especially the US, is on the decline. For a few decades, but worse now, than before.

I look at the US, and I see the Western Roman empire circa mid 5th century, prior to Odoacer marching into Rome. 

Trump simply precipitated the inevitable decline. Whether or not the CCP remains in charge is irrelevant to China's growth and dominance. I don't like it. But, it is what it is. I predict in 50 years or so, the US will only be the 4th or 5th biggest world power. 

I fear war will come well before that can happen. Tbf it’s already started just without the boots on the ground. 

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Thanks 1

A million Uyghurs locked up, possibly way more......and COVID 100% started in China.  This country has likely sent to death tens of tens of millions of people.....comparable to Russia, only.  This is a country that will arrest you for having bad friends on your social network, or buying alcohol.....your "social score" drops, and you cannot fly anywhere.  

and yet the TVF posters love China because it means they are against Westerners.

I do believe the average human to be of a very, very, very low IQ

However, 2021 will be the year of a few smart people asking questions.

• Like 1

Per Capita,  China is a green a Country.  Per capita China has had far fewer covid cases.

Per capita,  blah  blah  blah.   Meanwhile, here in Canada our leader wants to charge us all more money on carbon tax because Canada produces so much of the world pollution.   Well actually not at all, but per capita  I guess we do, since Canada has only a little more than 30 million population.   I hate per capita  studies, and graphs etc.  I also hate going more broke because of our stupid leader and his rich guy,  green idea.

Geezer

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Per Capita,  China is a green a Country.  Per capita China has had far fewer covid cases.

Per capita,  blah  blah  blah.   Meanwhile, here in Canada our leader wants to charge us all more money

on carbon tax because Canada produces so much of the world pollution.   Well actually not

at all, but per capita  I guess we do, since Canada has only a little more than 30 million

population.      I hate per capita  studies, and graphs etc.  I also hate going more broke

because of our stupid leader and his rich guy,  green idea.

Geezer

You sound like you have a distaste for facts. So a conservative I presume. Here are a couple just to mess with you. China  manufactures more electric vehicles than any other country on earth. Two American companies, GM and Tesla, are leading builders of EV in China. The 2  jurisdictions in Canada, B.C. & Quebec, that were first to bring in a carbon tax have also had the best economies. The province that refuses to diversify away from oil and gas production, The State of Alberta, has the worst. Shale fracking destroyed the tar sands. Live with it. 

P.S.: Trudeau's federal gov nationalized a pipeline so it can be expanded to export tar sands. Rene Kenny bought into a pipeline that is going to have it's expansion plans stopped by Biden.

Edited by pegman

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Questions such as why is the right wing so concerned about the human rights of Muslims in China but not so much in the rest of the world. Crocodile tears?

You are confusing people not wanting terrorists, of any race, blowing up world trade centers and valuing freedoms for people of all races.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed

China has been the biggest economy in the world long before US. Not surprised that it will happen again even without factoring in the pandemic. US economy has been on a steady decline with falling R&D especially in AI and robotics in contrast with China large investments on technology. India will catch up with US in 25-30 years.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rabas said:

You are confusing people not wanting terrorists, of any race, blowing up world trade centers and valuing freedoms for people of all races.

In fact, the Uighurs have committed terrorist acts. It's only a tiny fraction of the population. Which is exactly the case with other Muslim terrorists as well. So why the discrepancy?

• Thanks 1