Energy Commission increases solar energy purchase rate to 2.2 Baht

Energy Commission increases solar energy purchase rate to 2.2 Baht

Praphorn Praphornkul

2c8e5abcfcce2781bd1816552dbfd3db_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Among benefits to the public from the government, and as part of efforts to foster energy stability, the National Energy Policy Commission (NEPC), chaired by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, has decided to increase the energy purchase rate for households while expanding solar energy to schools and hospitals.

The decision comprises two parts, the first being a hike to the rate at which energy produced by households is sold back to the state form 1.68 baht per kilowatt to 2.2 baht, with a purchase target of 50 megawatts starting January 1st, 2021 and to continue for 10 years on account of new participants in the program as well as to encourage investment in solar energy.

The second part of the decision involves expanding solar energy purchases to schools, educational institutions, hospitals and agricultural irrigation systems. Power generated by such entities will be bought at a rate of 1 baht per kilowatt with a target of 20 megawatts from schools, 20 megawatts from hospitals and 10 megawatts from irrigation systems over the course of 10 years. It is expected that a combined purchase quota of 100 megawatts across all projects will trigger 3 billion baht in investment in solar energy production.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-12-27

• Like 1

2.2 baht is a complete joke.

A regular solar panel at 80W would take 12 hours to produce a single KWh and that is at 100% efficiency of which most panels are nowhere near.

seeing as the cost of electricity in the home is around 4.5 baht, the obvious thing is the home to consume that power rather than sell it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

2.2 baht is a complete joke.

A regular solar panel at 80W would take 12 hours to produce a single KWh and that is at 100% efficiency of which most panels are nowhere near.

seeing as the cost of electricity in the home is around 4.5 baht, the obvious thing is the home to consume that power rather than sell it.

Isnt most panels today 250+w ? And dont you usually have 10 to 15 of them? Since solar power is generated real time there is no way to optimally consume the generated power within the household without investing in batteries.. feeding back to grid and get some money for it seems like a good option.. getting half price from retail is standard..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have 5 (2x330+3x340 = 5kwh/day), and they provide half my needs,  reducing my electricity bill  to around 600bht/month.

I keep  thinking about adding another 2-3, but worry the PEA would notice the meter spinning back in the day ....... shhhhhhh

Interesting, do you have a schematic how to hook it up to the grid?

1 hour ago, Henk Langeweg said:

Interesting, do you have a schematic how to hook it up to the grid?

no schematic ....... but the white 2.5mm dual core goes to the panels (connected in series), and the mains lead (provided) plugs in the nearest mains socket in the house. Some day I'll get around to mounting it on the wall.

Suoer 1000w GTI 2,500bht from Lazada, 340w panels 3,000bht each from Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/suoer-grid-tie-inverter-1000va-gti-d1000b-i1330154723-s3319062846.html

IMG_20201227_154310.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I have one of those digital meters.

I guess feeding into the net will not work on those?

They don't go backwards, but provided you never generate more than you're using at any time you can still reduce your bill.

Otherwise you're going to need a hybrid inverter and batteries to store excess solar production for use when the sun is sleeping.