Price for covid test

bluesofa

Given the recent development regarding the domestic transmission of the virus: If an expat non-Thai is suspected of having covid, I assume they must be required to undertake a test, and what it likely to be the price?

I don't know if expat private health insurance covers paying for covid testing? Mine only covers in-patient treatment, not as an out-patient (which I am guessing the covid test is?)

What might the price be for a separate policy specifically to cover covid if required?

From what I've read, Thais all appear to be covered and receive free testing and treatment.

I did do a google search on this forum, but it didn't find any results.

From what I have seen the test is around 4,000 b at private hospitals.

Most hospital websites have info and the cost listed.

I have Aetna insurance and they will pay for one Covid test if it is requested by a medical practitioner.

I do not understand people asking about whether their insurance covers Covid.

If a person is sick, they put you in the hospital which will obviously be covered via inpatient coverage as an infection/medical condition.

I have not seen a "Covid exception" announced by insurance companies that your treatment will not be covered.  If so, it must be lousy insurance.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

From what I have seen the test is around 4,000 b at private hospitals.

Most hospital websites have info and the cost listed.

I have Aetna insurance and they will pay for one Covid test if it is requested by a medical practitioner.

I do not understand people asking about whether their insurance covers Covid.

If a person is sick, they put you in the hospital which will obviously be covered via inpatient coverage as an infection/medical condition.

I have not seen a "Covid exception" announced by insurance companies that your treatment will not be covered.  If so, it must be lousy insurance.

The reason I asked if insurance covered covid was because I've seen companies offering cover apparently just for covid - unless I've misunderstood that?

It just seemed odd that someone living here might need covid insurance on it's own.

I'm with AIA, although I haven't asked them if my in-patient insurance covers me for covid.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
8 hours ago, Elkski said:

This is terrible that they are charging so much.   I won't say anything else. 

I bet the unelected "PM" and his Generals will have their noses in the trough.

Would the noses be through a cloth or N95 face mask though - or more likely nothing?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

6000 bht was test price I seen at Bangkok hospital in samui .Government hospital cheaper I would assume.

I paid 7K three weeks ago, but it did include a quick medical exam, for all that was worth. 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 8:09 PM, bluesofa said:

The reason I asked if insurance covered covid was because I've seen companies offering cover apparently just for covid - unless I've misunderstood that?

It just seemed odd that someone living here might need covid insurance on it's own.

I'm with AIA, although I haven't asked them if my in-patient insurance covers me for covid.

No, you have not misunderstood. I have COVID insurance with Roojai, 14 day qualifying period ( for obvious reasons ), yearly premium 850 baht. It covers me for 100,000 baht expenses if I am hospitalised with COVID. If I cark it with the same condition, my GF gets 1 million baht. I've already warned her not to sneeze or cough near me, I might take it the wrong way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have COVID insurance with Roojai, 14 day qualifying period ( for obvious reasons ), yearly premium 850 baht

I see this on the Roojai website.  Unfortunate they do not go as high as the 100,000 USD coverage required to re-enter the country. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

No, you have not misunderstood. I have COVID insurance with Roojai, 14 day qualifying period ( for obvious reasons ), yearly premium 850 baht. It covers me for 100,000 baht expenses if I am hospitalised with COVID. If I cark it with the same condition, my GF gets 1 million baht. I've already warned her not to sneeze or cough near me, I might take it the wrong way.

Does it cover you for an out-patient covid test?

This high price for foreigners and low price (or free) for Thais is ridiculous to the point of being sheer madness. With the covid pandemic now spreading throughout Thailand it's not the time for Us & Them. We're all part of the population. If anyone has covid symptoms it is in the best interest of Thailand to get that person tested, and if positive get that person quarantined and treated regardless of their nationality and visa status.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:15 AM, Elkski said:

This is terrible that they are charging so much.   I won't say anything else. 

I will, typical of Thailand money comes before all other aspect of society's needs; even in a crises!