Thai hospital banned from offer to sell COVID-19 vaccine

Jonathan Fairfield

18 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

I merely quoted the production cost per dose. Thais will more than likely get it for free but the farangs will be charged, that was the point of my post. If you want to work out the overheads then be my guest, let us know when you arrive at a figure.

Makes sense.  This is Thailand. The citizens should get it for free.  If we want it for free, we'll have to head back to our home country.  Me?  I'll pay the money not to have to do that.  Not that big of a deal.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Makes sense.  This is Thailand. The citizens should get it for free.  If we want it for free, we'll have to head back to our home country.  Me?  I'll pay the money not to have to do that.  Not that big of a deal.

You're missing the point again, i'm the foreigner here and so wouldn't expect anything for free. I'll pay whatever they ask, i simply posed the question "i wonder how much they'll rip us off for"?

And yes, it's not a big deal

37 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

You're missing the point again, i'm the foreigner here and so wouldn't expect anything for free. I'll pay whatever they ask, i simply posed the question "i wonder how much they'll rip us off for"?

And yes, it's not a big deal

Rip you off? Wow....

On 12/27/2020 at 8:51 PM, ThailandRyan said:

What a fiasco.  Does this have anything to do with Thailands contract with Astrazenica and the wanting to build there own lab as well to create a vaccine.  If there is a vaccine that works shouldn't everyone have the option to choose,

No, I think it has more to do with one hospital hoping to cash in on the crisis and being caught and stopped before they set off a dangerous trend. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 8:51 PM, ThailandRyan said:

What a fiasco.  Does this have anything to do with Thailands contract with Astrazenica and the wanting to build there own lab as well to create a vaccine.  If there is a vaccine that works shouldn't everyone have the option to choose,

It is up to the Thais to decide what is good for their people...

• Haha 1

Idiots and politics. If everybody in Thailand got the immunization then the government could fully open the door to tourism (traveler's insurance would be the only prerequisite). If somebody brought COVID here, no big deal,  everybody here would already be immunized. So the economy is losing billions because idiots are squabbling over who's going to get the contract. This plainly shows that they just don't care about anything more than their back pocket. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

No, I think it has more to do with one hospital hoping to cash in on the crisis and being caught and stopped before they set off a dangerous trend. 

Yes, it seems greedily looks like crisis cash in. 

News I have read touts the cost of doses at between 20 and 40 dollars per dose, depending on which vaccine they use. 

I thought that Thailand was going to make the vaccine free to locals, and to foreign people staying in the Kingdom. 

Read this in the Thai press. 

But I have no doubt that doses will be exploited by the greedy hospitals. 

Just as quarantine hotels exploit foreigners. 

We are at the cusp of a new wave of exploitation, expect many varieties of ways to exploit and wreck the land of no more smiles. 

On 12/28/2020 at 3:30 AM, phartley58 said:

Because if you read thailand49's comment again I think you'll probably find that one all the "hoops" he mentions includes the need to quarantine. If having an approved vaccination takes that away, then as I said, it's a no brainer.... ???? 

Fasten your seat belt...

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/can-i-avoid-the-14-day-quarantine-in-thailand-if-ive-been-vaccinated

• Like 1

A majority of these comments are senseless.  You are in Thailand.  Just like the regulations through immigration, we being visitors will have to follow the rules established by the government.  If you don't like this process with the vaccine or chose the one you want, depart and go back to your home country and follow their rules there to get your vaccinations.

That private hospital was trying to get ahead of the game and make 500%+ profit from the unsuspecting public.  ($330 vs $64 for 2 shots as advertised by Moderna)  The government should whack them good.

2 hours ago, fvw53 said:

...also the many thousand illegal's waiting to obtain immigrant status will also get it for free and they don't pay taxes ....but they can become infected and infect others 

It was still not a free lunch because Timothy Taxpayer paid for it. 

On 12/30/2020 at 12:59 AM, fceligoj said:

A majority of these comments are senseless.  You are in Thailand.  Just like the regulations through immigration, we being visitors will have to follow the rules established by the government.  If you don't like this process with the vaccine or chose the one you want, depart and go back to your home country and follow their rules there to get your vaccinations.

That private hospital was trying to get ahead of the game and make 500%+ profit from the unsuspecting public.  ($330 vs $64 for 2 shots as advertised by Moderna)  The government should whack them good.

Strange.

First you say "if you don't like it, go home".

Next you comment on Thai style (buddhist style? banana republic style?) profiteering......better return to your home country!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, YetAnother said:

hahaha;so thai; next step fakes

I thought these were the fakes.They give 95% effectiveness against severe symptoms if infected where as only 2% will develop severe symptoms if infected but without the vaccine?

For those who are still flying back and forth... probably better to get your preferred vaccine at home.   Dubai is open now if you want to do it there (and ASQ on the way back).   Will probably wait until Singapore opens to non business travel and get my Pfizer shot there unless the Astra Zeneca one is available here first by some chance.  (and of course, be sure to call ahead to your preferred private hospital to confirm availability)

Edited by Heng

On 12/28/2020 at 2:50 AM, StevieAus said:

think you will find that most Western countries have a regulatory authority that has to approve new drugs Thailand is no different.

Yes but will it be offered for free ? 
In most European countries everyone can be vaccinated without any costs,  the government takes the bill.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balo said:

In most European countries everyone can be vaccinated without any costs,  the government takes the bill.  

well regardless free or not I just dont want to grow a 3rd nut

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, balo said:

And where do YOU think the government gets the money to pay that bill? ????

You can buy it cheap in India soon....I'm sure other countries are going to follow along with this.  Easy way to make money.  And a huge demand.

https://www.ft.com/content/224b13fb-1d7d-4250-a6c6-1535b30496bc

Covid vaccines will be available for private purchase in India

Manufacturer says shot will be for sale for $8, raising likelihood of secondary market

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 11:35 PM, balo said:

It will probably be free for Thai people, why would you expect it to be free for non Thais nothing else in the health system is free if you are not Thai.

Are you suggesting that if I visit a European country as a non citizen or approved resident it will be provided free.

Somehow I doubt it as every other medical service has to be paid for, I know from experience.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Are you suggesting that if I visit a European country as a non citizen or approved resident it will be provided free.

Some countries have reciprocal arrangements. For example Brits get Medicare in Australia and Aussies get access to the NHS if they are in the UK.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:52 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Some countries have reciprocal arrangements. For example Brits get Medicare in Australia and Aussies get access to the NHS if they are in the UK.

Only for emergency treatment ( as defined) you certainly don’t get vaccinations most other countries charge for treatment.

36 minutes ago, maddermax said:

Visited a public hospital and a private hospital in Pattaya. Neither has any plan to offer the vaccine and have no knowledge of the Government plans. Worrying!

I think we'll know a lot more in a few months. Just be patient.