Thai hospital banned from offer to sell COVID-19 vaccine

Jonathan Fairfield

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

War profiteers.

Disgusting.

I agree BUT as farangs how else are we going to get it? We will be last on a very very long list and if you need it to travel and do business you need it.

• Like 1

No one who doesn't have their head in the sand about Thailand should be surprise.  I read back when they announced their agreement with AstraZ  private hospital are free to obtain their own source with that news my assumption with my coffee buddies here private hospital will be charging foreigners in the range of 5000-10,000 baht.

I've not seen anything of Pfizer or Moderna requesting FDA permission from Thailand, maybe their leaders are trying to monopolize by only endorsing AstraZ and controlling distribution?  Wasn't there something here on T.V. there were plans for May and it would be free for locals.

Personally, I'll take the vaccine at some point but will select the one the government endorses that would allow me to leave Thailand and return without all the hoops needed to get back in?????  I'm waiting for the Johnson and Johnson in January since it only requires one shot?

• Like 1

I have already said this in a previous post, first there will be the private hospitals in BKK offering vaccines for astronomic charges. After that some clinics here and there will be offering fake vaccines that are only plasma. Next will be the black market and dark guys in dark sois selling "real" vaccine. And then there is utter chaos.... as usual.

And don't forget the online vaccine market:)

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

No one who doesn't have their head in the sand about Thailand should be surprise.  I read back when they announced their agreement with AstraZ  private hospital are free to obtain their own source with that news my assumption with my coffee buddies here private hospital will be charging foreigners in the range of 5000-10,000 baht.

I've not seen anything of Pfizer or Moderna requesting FDA permission from Thailand, maybe their leaders are trying to monopolize by only endorsing AstraZ and controlling distribution?  Wasn't there something here on T.V. there were plans for May and it would be free for locals.

Personally, I'll take the vaccine at some point but will select the one the government endorses that would allow me to leave Thailand and return without all the hoops needed to get back in?????  I'm waiting for the Johnson and Johnson in January since it only requires one shot?

Good advice. Don't panic keep your own body immune up to scratch to fight the virus germ. That's what it's there fore. Eat the right food. Smoking and drinking doesn't help.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

greed & profits in time of pandemic, so THAI

So human.  As a foreigner, I doubt we'll get it here for free anyway.  It's going to cost money just like the other jabs we get.  I'd love to be able to sign up for a jab now.  It would make the future more certain for me.

11 hours ago, tgw said:

approved or not, the decision of which medicine can be administered to patients should ultimately be the doctor's.

I think you will find that most Western countries have a regulatory authority that has to approve new drugs Thailand is no different.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Anyone else believe that is just robbery in daylight? Regardless of the hospital mark up?

They will be selling hundreds of millions and that is the best price they can come up with per dose?

Gonna be several billion people a bit short of the payment needed.

This should be free to all, paid for by their governments, especially in those countries dependent on tourism.

With hospitals heavily penalised for further up pricing it in the private sector.

Not only Thai hospitals are at it once again with 1000% mark up but would appear owners of pharma will be worth into trillions , so will supply chain , so will distribution , so will hospitals. While majority slip into “poor” from middle class, some minority will amass wealth beyond calculator abilities 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand has signed an advance deal for AstraZeneca’s potential COVID-19 vaccine, but has not set rollout plans for any vaccine yet.

Has their been a misunderstanding about scheduling, distribution and uh, payment? They were really talking it up, then as other countries roll out the vaccine and start vaccinating people, suddenly SILENCE descends here in LOS. Add to that a hospital that wants to sell a vaccine gets jumped on by the Government.

Why is this not surprising. ????

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I have already said this in a previous post, first there will be the private hospitals in BKK offering vaccines for astronomic charges.

Are there any facts, or history, to support such a claim?

My annual flu vaccine at Bumrungrad was 1,150 THB (June, 2020). In the U.S. it is ~ $40.

My doc said a vaccine should be avaiable here, 2H 2021, at a reasonable price.

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

As the first governments begin vaccine rollouts around the world, questions have been raised over how the limited supplies are prioritised and whether people will be able to pay to jump the queue.

That will be a given here i LOS, the chosen gods will get it free while those that are privileged will follow.

9 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Ahem, I think yes, for example this very discussion topic...

Well, this effort was shut down.

And, obviously, I meant examples other than this one.

If this is your only example, I'm not sure you're predictions carry much weight?

22 minutes ago, BestB said:

Not only Thai hospitals are at it once again with 1000% mark up but would appear owners of pharma will be worth into trillions , so will supply chain , so will distribution , so will hospitals. While majority slip into “poor” from middle class, some minority will amass wealth beyond calculator abilities 

And just another item adding to 'the rich get richer and the poor get poorer'.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What a fiasco.  Does this have anything to do with Thailands contract with Astrazenica and the wanting to build there own lab as well to create a vaccine.  If there is a vaccine that works shouldn't everyone have the option to choose,

The xenophobes are out in force again.

It has nothing to do with removing choices, it is about advertising control, which is common in most countries.

The hospital broke the law, end of story.

• Like 2