Thai hospital banned from offer to sell COVID-19 vaccine

Jonathan Fairfield

12 hours ago, tgw said:

approved or not, the decision of which medicine can be administered to patients should ultimately be the doctor's.

In my humble opinion VERY DEFINITELY NO, ON ADVICE OF DOCTOR YES;  BUT FINAL DECISION WITH PATIENT

Just now, maddermax said:

What is frightening is the total lack of information from the Government on when they hope to roll out the vaccine for the public.

Thanks and let me RePost that. After lots of blather about how everything is going fine, going to be great. Now SILENCE. 

13 minutes ago, garzhe said:

Thailand has a contract with AstraZenica to purchase at cost. Have to wonder how much of that will find its way in to the private market to be sold at exorbitant prices.

"Influence" will be splashing around like shaving foam at a vaudeville custard pie fight to ensure that supplies reach the right (good) people.

There is money to be made here, lots of money.

"Happy days are here again"!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

A friend in the UK has just told me that it has been reported in the UK thatThailand has signed a deal to receive the Oxford vaccine. The production cost is £2.98 (120 baht) per dose. It remains to be seen how much the hospitals will rip us farangs off for it

Production cost.  What about transport cost?  The Nurse who gives you the jab, hospital facilities to make this happen, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

unbelievable !! the world has started vaccinations and all approved !!!  what is Thailand thinking of ???

Australia has ordered 50 million doses of the Pfiezer Vaccine and they will arrive in March 2021 and be FREE for all .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Personally, I'll take the vaccine at some point but will select the one the government endorses that would allow me to leave Thailand and return without all the hoops needed to get back in?

Hear hear... Absolute no brainer.

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

He wasn't talking nonsense, AstraZenica can be stored in the fridge so that the overheads are very low which makes it a cheap vaccine. However, the article was talking about Moderna, which I assume has to be stored at very low temperatures, which bumps up the selling price. Nothing like the hospital were hoping to charge though.

You assume wrong as Moderna vaccine can be stored in a normal freezer, so stop assuming and read more.

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What a fiasco.  Does this have anything to do with Thailands contract with Astrazenica and the wanting to build there own lab as well to create a vaccine.  If there is a vaccine that works shouldn't everyone have the option to choose,

Thailand already has a lab to produce the vaccine which is owned by the Crown property bureau, under the management of the King. The Financial Times  through an interview with a prominent doctor indicated that the AstraZeneca vaccine was already in production. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

You are posting nonsense, nothing unsual about that.

Yes, Moderna is 9 X the price of AZ.

Moderna 18 dollar --- AZ 1,78 euro

But......

18 dollar is about 600 baht - as compared to the 10.000 baht those  disgusting war profiteers ask.

You didn't read the article properly, it says for lower quantities the price is well over 30 USD, you need 2 shots. A hospital has to pay his doctors and other running cost too. Yes they make a profit but as you don't have actual knowledge about pricing it is not smart to be insulting. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The xenophobes are out in force again.

It has nothing to do with removing choices, it is about advertising control, which is common in most countries.

The hospital broke the law, end of story.

As usual you try to distort what is written.  How is anything I posted Xenophobic.  Choices of the Type of vaccine/manufacturer should be allowed. Now was it pure conjecture on my part having to do with the Astrazenica contract, probably.  But not Xenophobic.  Get a grip.

2 minutes ago, phartley58 said:

Give over.

What one does it's up to them. I only drink on celebrations like now .Red Wine , Never smoked in my life and I'm a retired senior citizen . Never had a illness in my life except for a cold. 

4 minutes ago, bikerbri said:

Thailand already has a lab to produce the vaccine which is owned by the Crown property bureau, under the management of the King. The Financial Times  through an interview with a prominent doctor indicated that the AstraZeneca vaccine was already in production. 

If so then why the recent articles indicating that Chula University was in need of donations to build a lab to work on a vaccine. Supposedly as Anutin said a long while back that they were working on a vaccine and it was only weeks away. Then silence until the AstraZeneca contract was touted.  

10 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

If Thailand is to  protect itself it will have to make vaccine free with no profit taking by hospitals. If hospitals use this to make money, the poor people will not be vaccinated. This means that no recovery for tourism, restaurants, factories, and agriculture.  

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

This is key. Tourism won’t recover unless there’s mass vaccinations in Thailand.

I don't need the vaccine for my own health and I wont be paying for one. There is a valid argument that I should have the vaccine for the health of others, in particular, the tourist industry.

It seems to me, the government should pick up the expense in the interest of protecting the health, welfare, and economy of it's citizens. But it's clear to me that my health and welfare are not a concern of the government.

So, in the event that the government fails to take adequate responsibility, the tourist industry is the next most logical benefactor. If it's not in the tourist industry's best interest for me to have a vaccine then we are all in agreement, I don't need the vaccine for my own health.

in my mind theres several questions -the most important.where did they get it from and how?then prosecution,they would need FDA approval to bring it in surely.surely its time to prosecute all these whores,the ones running illegally over the border,the uniformed ones and this crew,prostitution is rampant,ie i will sell myself

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, khunkarl said:

Why? What would the point taking a vaccine if still have to do quarantine? I as well wants to be sure getting vaccinated equals no quarantine. 

Because if you read thailand49's comment again I think you'll probably find that one all the "hoops" he mentions includes the need to quarantine. If having an approved vaccination takes that away, then as I said, it's a no brainer.... ???? 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Are there any facts, or history, to support such a claim?

My annual flu vaccine at Bumrungrad was 1,150 THB (June, 2020). In the U.S. it is ~ $40.

My doc said a vaccine should be avaiable here, 2H 2021, at a reasonable price.

I had ZERO flu vaccine shots for the last 30 years

and got flu ZERO times

good investment

• Like 1

11 hours ago, david555 said:

Is not the fault of the Banana republic ..... as our Embassy could be the one who could arrange vaccinations .... even more the foreign ministry of Belgium ...could remember us , not only for taxation 

As still we are taxable in Belgium ????????

There is a treaty between Belgium and Thailand to avoid double taxation....of course if you keep your legal residence in Belgium while staying in Thailand you will pay taxes in Belgium

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Are there any facts, or history, to support such a claim?

The economic principles of a perceived urgent need combined with limited supply & high demand ? It would already seem apparent that there is inequality in vaccine distribution be this on an individual, regional or a country basis. This sort of scenario lends itself to a grey market and price gouging. I would see this as quite different to your example of a common flu vaccine. 

Earlier in the thread information was shared showing that Belgium has secured 33.5m doses for population of 11.5m. Compare this with Thailand that presently has enough vaccines for 10m people from 70+m population. Several countries have already launched widespread vaccine programs, in Thailand we are expecting launch somewhere from April onwards. 

We will see in due course but it doesn’t take much to imagine quite a scramble here amongst those not covered in the quite limited vaccinations secured (to date) by the Thai government. 

This scramble will probably include me, as I expect vaccination (at least during the next 1-2 years, whilst we edge back to normality) might become an increasingly common requirement to be able to travel internationally. I would very much like to visit family and friends back home in 2021!

Edited by realfunster
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

And the Government are expecting people to cooperate in killing the virus. 

If Governments are supporting vaccine companies to develop a vaccine for  particular illnesses out of taxpayers money then that money should be returned it the vaccine is successful. 

2 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Yet another business seeking to profit from people's suffering.

And it's a hospital.

• Like 1