lunch buffets in major CM hotels open these daze ?

orang37

Not a buffet but .............

I'd go to Huay Tung Tao lake and sit in one of the huts over the water (restaurant No9 has really good food).

Entrance fee, free for over 60s, 50bht foreigner, 20bht Thai.

You'd need to eat and drink a lot to get near 2,000bht (this lot  was about 450bht).

IMG_20201118_120128.jpg

IMG_20201118_120906.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Smiles said:

Sizzler has very good salad buffet bar. Lots of warm food too. Just order one main dish and the buffet salad bar is yours for as much as you can eat.

Not a bad idea, but Sizzler has priced their main dishes off the charts; my last experience eating there with friends, we agreed the quality of the entrees were not that good, and, were over-cooked.

Your mileage may vary if you like boring America food ????

• Like 1

As a Pest Exterminator  working in commercial kitchens for many years I have seen what goes on  and the poor hygiene and bugs /vermin there .If the customer could see this they would never eat there but the restaurant side looks so nice and clean .

2 hours ago, wavodavo said:

As a Pest Exterminator  working in commercial kitchens for many years I have seen what goes on  and the poor hygiene and bugs /vermin there .If the customer could see this they would never eat there but the restaurant side looks so nice and clean .

Confirmed as someone who has been cooking in various venues for over 30 yrs.....and the buffet..sigh.....

Let compare it to the soup of the day aka "i need to get rid of this item, make a soup".....buffets are bulk sales so they order in quantity, thus cheaper and mark it up..usually the cheaper-heavy items go at front of the line to slow you down...the good stuff is usually replaced slower..You may see a roast but of course the bigger it is to cook the cheaper per pound....small shrimp unpeeled slows one down...fat items and proteins fill you up such as cheese, dairy, creams added in....look at ration of quality food compares to rations of "filler" foods...remember they are out to profit, pay staff and production costs, etc......buffets that dont make profit dont stay open....

Lastly the spoons, or tongs.....take a look around the room and count heads eating, think they all washed their hands?...well they all touched those tongs-spoons..which in most cases are never cleaned..all day--into night

As someone who has cooked all my life ..do I go to buffets?.......absolutely not...esp during a pandemic!!

No one needs that much food and most feel they have to gorge themselves to compensate for the cost of it

But as the Thais say  Up to you...the lesson is repeated until its learned..chok dee.....also holding temps/food

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not a buffet but .............

I'd go to Huay Tung Tao lake and sit in one of the huts over the water (restaurant No9 has really good food).

Entrance fee, free for over 60s, 50bht foreigner, 20bht Thai.

You'd need to eat and drink a lot to get near 2,000bht (this lot  was about 450bht).

Thanks, A great idea !  I don't know why my message yesterday thanking you was deleted;

cheers, ~o:37;

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't forget to have a stroll around the King Kong straw animals at the end of the lake after lunch, no extra charge.

P_20181122_094400.jpg

It  appears there is a damsel in distress with the beast on the right..a good selfie oppt gone bad

Have no fear cutie Im on my way(lighter in hand to slay the beast of straw)...Oh my hero! The end ????

18 hours ago, orang37 said:

Not a bad idea, but Sizzler has priced their main dishes off the charts; my last experience eating there with friends, we agreed the quality of the entrees were not that good, and, were over-cooked.

Your mileage may vary if you like boring America food ????

You can go to Sizzler and just have the salad bar, during the week only 139 Baht, couple of soups on there maybe some pasta 

Edited by ChipButty

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 3:46 PM, Smiles said:

Sizzler has very good salad buffet bar. Lots of warm food too. Just order one main dish and the buffet salad bar is yours for as much as you can eat.

I'm surprised they don't make you wear a hazmat suit to get near the salad bar.   Almost.  Hand gel, Gloves, masks, maybe best to just go with the hazmat suit.
Did it once.  They're off my list forever.  Worst meal of my life. 
I now go to place that know don't treat their customers like plague-ridden lepers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, connda said:

I now go to place that know don't treat their customers like plague-ridden lepers.

As  well as appreciating  your viscerally vivid  imagery,  I am  left  wondering where the place you  go  now ... is ????

cheers, ~o:37;