Fairy Washing Up Liquid

bluesofa

First, I'm sorry it's not food by any stretch of the imagination. I couldn't think where else to ask about it though.

Does anyone know if it might be available here?

My sister-in-law brought us two bottles when she came to visit from Finland a year ago. I had forgotten how good it was, having got used to the low quality Thai equivalent for years.

I see the bottles we have are called 'Fairy Platinum'.

Now having nearly finished the second 500ml bottle, I'm wondering if I can buy it here?

I live in Udon. I did look at the Tesco Lotus website, but couldn't find it there.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, you're right. I see in the UK it's £1.50 for 625ml at Tesco.

Unless someone comes up with a better price, looks like Fairy's off my christmas card list.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There's nothing wrong with Thai washing up liquid, all I do is check the viscosity in the bottle to see if it has been watered down. The vast majority of washing up liquids are nonionic surfactants.

Way back when, I worked as a trainee chemist for Unilever. I can remember the total cost base for many of their soap and detergent products was 80% advertising.

I also remember the rivalry between Rinso and Persil. Identical soap powder products, coming off the same production line, just going into different packaging. Yet there were housewives who would swear blind one was better than the other.

Marketing, marketing.

I can only say from my experience that Fairy seems much better at getting the grease and dirt off plates and cutlery. Plus one litre (two bottles) has lasted just over a year.

Can you expand in basic terms what you said about checking to see if it is watered down?

Do you mean there's some way to get the Thai washing up liquid to perform on a par with Fairy?

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

2 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Sounds fairy'nuff Mr Sofa you can have your own home " bubbles " then   .. I can relate to that .. but don't be getting in a lather about it .. soapfully someone can send some in the post to you .. 

I never realised washing up liquid was so interesting until I just researched it but by all accounts there is Platinum aaa'nd Platinum with Lemon ????.. 

Choices and decisions to be made then Mr Sofa ..

This is the one we have at present, all the way from sunny Finland:

image.png.904b27b507acf4c2c189b97837bd4a37.png

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for replying.

Unless someone comes up with a better price, looks like Fairy's off my christmas card list.

Fairy is great in Swindon and bloody cheap but will leave a large carbon footprint on your Udon dishes ???? 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I can only say from my experience that Fairy seems much better at getting the grease and dirt off plates and cutlery. Plus one litre (two bottles) has lasted just over a year.

Can you expand in basic terms what you said about checking to see if it is watered down?

Do you mean there's some way to get the Thai washing up liquid to perform on a par with Fairy?

There are three types of detergents, cationic ( pretty rare ), anionic, and nonionic. They all function by lowering the surface tension of water from 72 dynes/cm. In the case of nonionics, 35 dynes/cm. Anionics, 25 dynes/cm. Nonionics are usually clear viscous liquids. Anionics are soaps and sulphonates, not clear liquids, more like pastes.

If I see a bottle of dishwashing liquid that sloshes around like water when I shake it, It's probably been watered down. Selling water is a very popular pastime with some manufacturers.

You get what you pay for. Just use more of the Thai liquid, two tablespoons instead of one.

I suspect the Fairy stuff has been tweaked by incorporating a sulphonate into the base nonionic. Does it look hazy at all? Any manufacturer that has a product that performs better will add a premium.

We used to test the performance of various dishwashing liquids by soiling plates with 2.5 ml of tallow, then washing the plates with 5 litres of water at about 60 degrees C with 50 mL of liquid detergent. The best performers got to 25 plates before they stopped being effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

There are three types of detergents, cationic ( pretty rare ), anionic, and nonionic. They all function by lowering the surface tension of water from 72 dynes/cm. In the case of nonionics, 35 dynes/cm. Anionics, 25 dynes/cm. Nonionics are usually clear viscous liquids. Anionics are soaps and sulphonates, not clear liquids, more like pastes.

If I see a bottle of dishwashing liquid that sloshes around like water when I shake it, It's probably been watered down. Selling water is a very popular pastime with some manufacturers.

You get what you pay for. Just use more of the Thai liquid, two tablespoons instead of one.

I suspect the Fairy stuff has been tweaked by incorporating a sulphonate into the base nonionic. Does it look hazy at all? Any manufacturer that has a product that performs better will add a premium.

We used to test the performance of various dishwashing liquids by soiling plates with 2.5 ml of tallow, then washing the plates with 5 litres of water at about 60 degrees C with 50 mL of liquid detergent. The best performers got to 25 plates before they stopped being effective.

Fairy is green, but not translucent. The cost of getting it here from abroad makes it too expensive.

The Thai washing up liquid we've always bought in the past is...(to avoid naming names here) the one in a yellow bottle which appears to have something to do with light rays from our sun. Is that one you think is OK, or does it have too much water content?

Alternatively, if you can suggest good ones and bad ones, please pm me if you would be so kind.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for replying.

There is a fairly similar one available at most Makro supermarkets in a 5 litre plastic bottle. It comes in a yellow (smells like lemon) or blue plastic bottle and works very well.

On 12/28/2020 at 2:39 PM, Lacessit said:

The vast majority of washing up liquids are nonionic surfactants.

Well of course I am well aware of that - but would appreciate some expert advice on how to open those plastic sacks of nonionic sufactants which you get in Big C for 18 Baht without getting it all over the kitchen worktop!

Does anyone remember "OMO"? Urban legend has it that a packet left in the kitchen window would reassure the milkman that the "old man was out"!

Incidentally, I am surprised that the LBGT pressure groups have not managed to ban the brand name "Fairy Liquid"!

I shall now stop burbling, and retire to my man cave...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nout said:

Shouldn't this be on the women's forum?????

Washing up is a chap's job also in this liberated , equalised  world that we now enjoy .. 

And this is the latest in a line of fine topics raised by Bluesofa .. though does not appear to be garnering the same sort of response as his 7/11 bread one awhile ago which I personally found highly informative and thoroughly entertaining .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1