Do pools and gyms have to close again?

DUS

Hi,

Going to the pool in our condominium this afternoon, I was greeted by a poster on the door announcing the gym´s and the pool´s closure from 31 Dec onwards. When I asked downstairs in the office why we have to close the facilities, I was told there was an announcement earlier today by either the government or the governor that hotels, condominiums etc have to close those facilities in order to help prevent the spread of Covid 19. Well, I couldn´t find any such new announcement so I wonder if you guys heard something? Maybe this is just an arbitrary and voluntary decision by someone on our committee and they are "hiding" behind a legal requirement that doesn´t actually exist?

DUS

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, are you close to any of the Bangkok cases? it may be a local gov decision that only applies to a specific area if you are in an outbreak area.

Asoke

Nonthaburi Moo Baan gym still open as of this morning. As usual, I was the only patron so little risk of infection but they had the staff attendant budiky spraying things and wiping down handles to the effect of choking me while on the treadmill. If Covid doesn't get me the cleaning spray might!

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2020 at 5:39 PM, DUS said:

Hi,

Going to the pool in our condominium this afternoon, I was greeted by a poster on the door announcing the gym´s and the pool´s closure from 31 Dec onwards. When I asked downstairs in the office why we have to close the facilities, I was told there was an announcement earlier today by either the government or the governor that hotels, condominiums etc have to close those facilities in order to help prevent the spread of Covid 19. Well, I couldn´t find any such new announcement so I wonder if you guys heard something? Maybe this is just an arbitrary and voluntary decision by someone on our committee and they are "hiding" behind a legal requirement that doesn´t actually exist?

DUS

Legal begal needal who cares?  it never stops amazing me around the world how people think because somethings legal its safe...  australians are the worst being a super nanny state....  do you not understand that the goverments have no idea what they are dealing with and how to do it and then fund it and so on?  and u just wanna go to the gym?  plastic and metal surfaces hold the virus long time... ENJOY

• Confused 2

16 hours ago, tonray said:

Nonthaburi Moo Baan gym still open as of this morning. As usual, I was the only patron so little risk of infection but they had the staff attendant budiky spraying things and wiping down handles to the effect of choking me while on the treadmill. If Covid doesn't get me the cleaning spray might!

If you are the only patron, and you die, they won't have to clean. Think about it. 555

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, pjmorton said:

Our gym in Khonkaen has a similar announcement on the door, a bit confusing because the notice said they would close December 31 to Jan 2. However, on the 28th they were already closed. 

20201228_181039.jpg

That sign just says the facilities are closed for the New Year holidays - it doesn't say anything about Covid or government restrictions.

On 12/28/2020 at 5:39 PM, DUS said:

Hi,

DUS

Worked out in the condo gym and swam in the pool afterwards as always today.

there is no closure order from the government your juristic office lied to you 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Worked out in the condo gym and swam in the pool afterwards as always today.

there is no closure order from the government your juristic office lied to you 

Well, you are absolutely spot on!

It turned out that one over keen Thai lady on the committee (who used to be the juristic person and then chair of the committee for many years (in the past)), single-handedly decided that it would be a good idea to close down the facilities. When I spoke to members of the committee they were not aware of any such decision and convened a quick meeting, deciding to leave the pool and gym open until any official requirements by the government or the governor force their hands. Result!

• Like 1

It seems Condo buildings close the pools in Thailand VERY easy...I still dont get how a chlorinated swimming pool could be any danger to anyone......Its just fine to go shopping, loads of people around but a few people in a swimming pool.....Well.....We just cant have that....

On 12/30/2020 at 3:31 PM, DUS said:

Well, you are absolutely spot on!

It turned out that one over keen Thai lady on the committee (who used to be the juristic person and then chair of the committee for many years (in the past)), single-handedly decided that it would be a good idea to close down the facilities. When I spoke to members of the committee they were not aware of any such decision and convened a quick meeting, deciding to leave the pool and gym open until any official requirements by the government or the governor force their hands. Result!

I thank providence and good planning  almost every day that I don't live in a condo.   Most of them sound like concentration camps,  with small cells called condo rooms, run by Gestapo like committees who change the rules on a whim. In my case, my house, my rules. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I thank providence and good planning  almost every day that I don't live in a condo.   Most of them sound like concentration camps,  with small cells called condo rooms, run by Gestapo like committees who change the rules on a whim. In my case, my house, my rules. 

Such problems do not occur in the 250 sqm condo that I have owned and lived in for 20 years. Good planning and maybe a bit of luck.

• Like 1

I'm in Pattaya (Jomtien) and was surprised today (Jan 2) when I arrived at my gym and found the building locked with a sign "Closed as of January 1st until Further Notice Due to Covid-19 Restrictions"

Well, apparently Pattaya and neighbouring Banglamung in Chon Buri province are now classified as “highly controlled” areas with an emergency order shutting down bars, parks, schools and non-essential businesses.

Of course, authorities are using the "until further notice" wording and not giving any indication of how long this will be in effect!  Damn...here we go again!

Anyone heard anything at all from a qualified source how long this might be in effect, even if it is just a guesstimate?

This is the BMA announcement:

http://www.bangkok.go.th/main/page.php?&140-News&type=detail&id=744

Relevant points are:

2) "strictly comply with"....and then:

2.14 indoor exercising place

2.15 swimming pools

So, they are not closed, but they must follow protocols.

Arguably your condo gym is a Fitness Centre 1.20, or 2.14 indoor exercising place.

1.20 is "temporarily closed" 2.14 is not, providing there is strict compliance, as detailed.

Having gone through such a palaver with residents last time we are being more flexible. Personally, I will not use the gym, but I will swim, as is my wont.

Edited by samtam

2 hours ago, Jajazazajaja said:

My condo gym and pool have been closed until 31st Jan. they can’t wait to close things down here tho, they love to make a big show of doing things. 

Do you live in Bangkok?  Who said it was 31st January.  I'm just trying to get a credible idea of how long this lockdown might last even though I know there's no way to be sure of it.  It just helps to see light at the end of the tunnel if you know what I mean.