U.S. House approves $2,000 coronavirus aid checks sought by Trump

webfact

Just now, placeholder said:

And I'm wrong. At least if the NY Times is right then I'm wrong. I wouldn't bet against them.

In the spring, that usually meant that neither of you was eligible for payments. Now, when two people are married and filing their taxes jointly and only one spouse has a Social Security number, they will be eligible for a single $600 payment. Each of their children with Social Security numbers would also be eligible for the $600.

Stimulus Deal Q&A: Second Check, Unemployment Insurance and More - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Sorry.

But it does say you can apply for the previous payment which you were denied. Which I was also wrong about. 

Excluded: Noncitizens who file taxes and aren't married to US citizens

The CARES Act made a Social Security number a requirement for a payment. While earlier proposals would've expanded the eligibility to those with an ITIN instead of a Social Security number because they're classified as a resident or nonresident alien, this group of people is again excluded in the final bill text.

Here's everyone who may qualify for the new $600 stimulus check - CNET

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

it’s difficult to understand as to why Trump held up the stimulus bill, demanded an increase and less pork and then did a complete 360 in a few days. The delay has been disastrous for his image and created friction in the party. Can’t see any political upside in that strategy. Was he tricked by Lindsey and McCarthy over the weekend golf session that the GOPs will take on his 2k proposal, cut pork and rescind section 230 after he signed the Bill. For sure the GOPs ain’t going to do all that after he signed. This may signal a intention from the party to pivot away from Trump. 

all part of trump's reality show makeover.

he's setting up the narrative where he's looking out for the working man while the democrats and the rino's are siphoning off their hard-earned money, giving pallets of cash to foreigners and special interests, letting big tech censor their freedoms.  he was winning!  he almost achieved peak-maga, but then the deep-state pounced.

Love seeing Mitch McConnell on the hot seat lol I perdict he will inflate his throat sack dig in and bury the 2,000$ like he’s done in the past he’s certainly in a bit of a pickle though lol gonna be fun watching him squirm 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tug said:

Love seeing Mitch McConnell on the hot seat lol I perdict he will inflate his throat sack dig in and bury the 2,000$ like he’s done in the past he’s certainly in a bit of a pickle though lol gonna be fun watching him squirm 

I'm not sure about that. Reportedly he surrendered on the $600 because of the Senate race in Georgia. He may be forced to surrender on this one as well for the same reason.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives voted 275-134 to meet President Donald Trump's demand for $2,000 COVID-19 relief checks on Monday

So 134 idiot Representatives still voted against this? How is that even possible? Hope their constituents will remember this come election time in two years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tug said:

He's on the way of doing that, but schumer made it difficult.

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/12/29/mcconnell-blocks-immediate-stimulus-checks-vote.html

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/stimulus-checks-senate/2020/12/29/344fa850-49d9-11eb-839a-cf4ba7b7c48c_story.html

McConnell blocks Senate Democrats’ initial attempt to approve $2,000 stimulus checks amid growing pressure on GOP leader to act

"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) on Tuesday blocked consideration of a House bill that would deliver a $2,000 stimulus payments to most Americans — spurning a request made by President Trump even as more Senate Republicans voiced support for the dramatically larger checks.

McConnell’s move was just the beginning of a saga that is likely to engulf the Senate for the rest of the week. Democrats are pushing for an up-or-down vote on the House bill, while more Republicans acknowledge a need for larger stimulus checks.

Those included calls from Georgia’s two embattled Republican senators — David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler — who find themselves in the midst of a tough re-election battle that will decide the fate of the chamber next week. GOP Sen. Deb Fischer of Nebraska also lent support Tuesday, declaring that “people are hurting and we need to get them more aid.”

The Georgia senators joined Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who endorsed the idea on Monday, and Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), one of its earliest proponents.

• Like 2

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/28/bernie-sanders-filibuster-delay-defense-veto-override-451697

Bernie Sanders to delay defense veto override in bid for $2,000 checks

The move could undermine Republican senators competing in the Georgia run-offs.

"Sen. Bernie Sanders will filibuster an override of President Donald Trump’s defense bill veto unless the Senate holds a vote on providing $2,000 direct payments to Americans.

“McConnell and the Senate want to expedite the override vote and I understand that. But I’m not going to allow that to happen unless there is a vote, no matter how long that takes, on the $2,000 direct payment,” Sanders said in an interview on Monday night. The Vermont independent can’t ultimately stop the veto override vote, but he can delay it until New Year’s Day and make things more difficult for the GOP.

Under Senate rules, Sanders has the ability to keep the chamber in during the holiday week and likely mess with the campaign schedules of Sens. David Perdue (R-Ga.) and Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.). Those two face Jan. 5 runoff races for control of the Senate against Democrats Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock, who are both campaigning on the $2,000 checks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, habanero said:

I see no reason why Expats should receive a stimulus check from the government for any amount. How can that possibly stimulate the economy of the United States? 

I think you either have to have a bank account in the US or a US address in the US to get the money.   Also, if you didn't file US income taxes with a US address you probably won't get one.   

I understand your point, but it gets pretty difficult to dictate how people spend it.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

The US gov spends billions on things I don't agree with.  There are rich folks who paid less taxes than I do.  And here you're worried about $2k being sent to a few American expats?  Seriously?

The vast majority of these funds will go to people who don't really need it.  Like, retired expats.  The US economy grew at some 33% last quarter.  Only certain industries are hurting (restaurants, travel, etc).  The rest of the economy is doing OK, and some sectors are booming.

Focus the funds on those without jobs.  Those who are waiting in lines at food banks.  A sight I've never seen in all my years. 

25,000 in line here.  Just one of many in the US now.

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/11/16/people-need-get-food-turkeys-dallas-food-bank-drive-thru/

25,000 people in need get food, turkeys at Dallas food bank drive-thru

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Another Trump success for people to complain about

I agree that Trump played a major part in getting this approved by the House. Now it only needs to get approved by the Senate, which is where it hit a snag.

Trump also succeeded in putting the GOP in a terrible bind here, so one more good thing he accomplished.

Complaining, far from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I thought I read that this time those would be paid.

I think you’re right—but long overdue. First stimulus checks for expats went to unmarried American taxpayers and those married filing jointly with their Naturalized American/Thai wives.  But nothing for American taxpayers with non-citizen ITIN Thai wives, if they filed jointly.

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Another Trump success for people to complain about

The proposed stimulus cheque is not means tested and will cost the economy nearly $480 billion in more debt. IMO to pay someone earning more than the national average salary is purely vote buying and as someone posted likely to go into saving account. If trump was actually interested in the welfare of the less fortunate, should have raised the stimulus amount for the unemployed / poor, rather than extra cash for people earning above the average annual salary in a State.

36 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The proposed stimulus cheque is not means tested and will cost the economy nearly $480 billion in more debt. IMO to pay someone earning more than the national average salary is purely vote buying and as someone posted likely to go into saving account. If trump was actually interested in the welfare of the less fortunate, should have raised the stimulus amount for the unemployed / poor, rather than extra cash for people earning above the average annual salary in a State.

Actually, it is means tested.

$600 stimulus check qualifications: Income limit, age, more - CNET

$600 SECOND STIMULUS CHECK INCOME LIMITS

AGI to receive full amount AGI to phase out of payment Down from
Single tax filer Under $75,000 $87,000 $99,000
Head of a household Under $112,500 $124,500 $146,000
Married, filing jointly Under $150,00 $174,000

$198,000

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, it is means tested.

$600 stimulus check qualifications: Income limit, age, more - CNET

$600 SECOND STIMULUS CHECK INCOME LIMITS

AGI to receive full amount AGI to phase out of payment Down from
Single tax filer Under $75,000 $87,000 $99,000
Head of a household Under $112,500 $124,500 $146,000
Married, filing jointly Under $150,00 $174,000

$198,000

Thanks for the info. I understand the average annual wage in the US is approx $52k, why would someone earning more than the average wage be eligible for a stimulus cheque? Semis to me a purely political move by trump / Dems

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Thanks for the info. I understand the average annual wage in the US is approx $52k, why would someone earning more than the average wage be eligible for a stimulus cheque? Semis to me a purely political move by trump / Dems

What advocates (maybe even Trump, although probably not) realize is that unless you make payment cover a sizable majority, it will go nowhere. Only a scrooge or political Kamikaze (look in the dictionary under "McConnell") would oppose it. 

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Well, at least it's a move done on behalf of the majority of Americans.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Drake said:

What advocates (maybe even Trump, although probably not) realize is that unless you make payment cover a sizable majority, it will go nowhere. Only a scrooge or political Kamikaze (look in the dictionary under "McConnell") would oppose it. 

McConnell has blocked the additional monies in the Senate. Putting aside the politics, understandable in the sense the extra payment was not targeted specifically for the unemployed / low income workers, but a scattergun approach costing approx $475 billion. The extra cost could have been aimed at those who are in a desperate state e.g. those who are only receiving unemployment benefits. In Australia the unemployed were receiving an extra $1000 per month. now slowing reducing as Covid comes under control and more work becomes available. There is a program in Australia named JobKeeper, link below, it will provide an insight to another more focussed approach.

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeeper-payment/

On 12/30/2020 at 6:24 AM, Isaan sailor said:

I think you’re right—but long overdue. First stimulus checks for expats went to unmarried American taxpayers and those married filing jointly with their Naturalized American/Thai wives.  But nothing for American taxpayers with non-citizen ITIN Thai wives, if they filed jointly.

If your wife has permanent residency, (Green Card) then you qualify for you and your spouse. If no permanent residency, then what do you expect? Should the U.S. start handing out checks at the border?

4 hours ago, habanero said:

If your wife has permanent residency, (Green Card) then you qualify for you and your spouse. If no permanent residency, then what do you expect? Should the U.S. start handing out checks at the border?

To your point, I don’t expect a non-resident wife to qualify for stimulus (although we do pay US taxes based on both of our incomes here and in the US).

My concern lies with the total disqualification of both joint filing taxpayers—as happened with the first stimulus payment.