Video: Horror head on smash in Korat claims 4 lives as pick-up crosses lanes

webfact

Video: Horror head on smash in Korat claims 4 lives as pick-up crosses lanes

5pmVI.jpg
Picture: Sanook

Four people died and two were critically injured when two pick-ups collided head on on the northern section of the Nakhon Ratchasima ring road in the Soon Nern district of the north eastern Thai city yesterday.

Dash cam footage of a car following caught the moment when a blue pick-up crossed the central reservation into the path of a brown Nissan pick-up. 

Four people were in the blue Isuzu pick-up that had collided with the tail end of a car and another pick-up on the other side of the road with the driver losing control. They were all on their way to Isaan from Bangkok for the New Year holidays. 

A 56 year old woman called Chaluay died as well as three unnamed people - Thai men aged 38 and 30 and a woman aged 30.

Two people were thrown out of the brown pick-up suffering grievous injuries. The driver was pinned to the steering wheel and it took 30 minutes to extricate him. He apparently survived though details of who died in what vehicles were unclear from the Sanook report. 

A truck trailer also narrowly avoided plowing into the main debris.

Sanook said that the date on the dash cam footage was erroneous. 

Soon Nern police are investigating. 

Source: Sanook

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

His handicap was that he could not see this video before the accident. 

It has to become second nature, there's zero thinking time.

Anchoring up and keeping straight is still better than going left. If your ABS lets you steer, swerve towards the rear of the crossing vehicle (assuming it's still the right way round/up).

Look at one of the zillion Russian Dashcam videos on Youtube, invariably those who swerve towards the front of the crossing vehicle end up making contact.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bangyai said:

The really intuitive thing to do from the red pick ups point of view is hit the brakes hard.....full on and keep going straight. The other pick up would probably have then sailed past.

Right, except the brakes always fail so no point. They never seem to deviate to avoid crashes but this driver was an exception however he went the wrong way IMO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Right, except the brakes always fail so no point. They never seem to deviate to avoid crashes but this driver was an exception however he went the wrong way IMO

Actually he should have done the same thing and crossed onto the medium, anything is better than a collision

17 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Actually he should have done the same thing and crossed onto the medium, anything is better than a collision

That would have required some thought!

Edited by PatOngo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Terrible.  RIP to those killed.  However, I want to make a point here that I see a lot in crashes here.  The red pick up, when he sees the blue truck, turns his wheels left, not right.  Turning left sealed his fate, turning right would maybe have saved him.  Those who fly or sail will know exactly the point I'm making.   

I agree with what you say, normally staying straight or turning into the direction the vehicle is coming from is the right thing to do, if you can keep your senses focused, but that takes training.

However if you look at the moment of impact I think he would still have hit the pick-up crossing the central reservation.

A side comment, looking at the speed on this four lane stretch a flat central reservation is ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Something wrong on the date?

1FDEC350-CA1D-4B12-B0C4-897470BA2FF1.jpeg

My dash cam date is wrong too. Sick of resetting it.

As an aside, I just renewed my 5yr licence and 3 people failed the red, yellow, green eyesight test, but still got their licence. If you live in the same town, difficult to fail people.

• Like 1

Undivided  Divided medians....

Safety costs money.

Reading about statistics and the countless amount of drivers who fall asleep at the wheel..... thats not the construction or contractors fault.... thats the civil engineer(s) and the city planner who approved it....

A needless loss of life that will continue on all death corridors, all over the planet. ,