Worst case scenario: 18,000 daily new COVID cases by mid January

webfact

Worst case scenario: 18,000 daily new COVID cases by mid January

TVBN.jpg

Thailand could see 18,000 daily new COVID-19 cases by Jan 14, according to Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

In his daily media briefing Dr Taweesilp shared some projections of how COVID-19 cases could soar in a matter of weeks without the necessary control measures being adhered to.

Dr Taweesilp gave three projections, with the worst case scenario being 18,000 daily new cases by January 14th.

This would only happen without any control measures in place in order to contain the spread of the virus.

Thailand would see 8,000 daily new COVID-19 cases even with moderate control measures, while 1,000 new daily new cases even with intensified control measures, similar to those implemented earlier in the year.

According to Dr Taweesil, Thailand is currently undergoing moderate control measures.

Based on the projections shared on Tuesday, it should be expected that daily new case numbers in Thailand look set to rise.

The news comes as officials in both Bangkok and Chonburi on Monday issued orders placing restrictions on entertainment venues deemed ‘high risk.

Meanwhile, Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health have created a new acronym to help remind people of steps they can take to help reduce the spread of the virus.

DMHTT.jpg

The acronym is DMHTT:

D - Distancing 

M - Mask Wearing 

H - Hand washing 

T - Testing 

T - Thai Cha-na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-29

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dcnx said:

They don’t have the capacity to test that many people per day. 

Back in July it was reported that Thailand had 209 test centres throughout the country. Should we reach the projected level of 18,000 per day, which I very much doubt, that will average out at 82 tests per centre per day.

I'm sure they can cope.

Sorry, I can't post the reference of the source because it was in the Bangkok Post, but it's easy enough to find.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, time2093 said:

What a bunch of bull......This is from the same wise man doctor that said Thailand would likely see 250,000 cases by last summer.......Typical Thai scare tactic, just add a few zeros to any figure and call it worst case scenario.

{ am trusting you do understand these estimates and the previous ones are done on several types of modelling of events, possible  behaviours of public, control matrix and measures and public education, and are nowhere near an exact science.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Back in March, the government directed the response centrally on the advice of the CCSA, and as far as I'm aware they never ignored or over-ruled it. They delegated certain decisions to the provincial governors, but they usually did the least that could be expected of them, you may remember that at one stage there seemed to be a small competition between some of them as to who could impose the harshest restrictions.

Now they seem to have delegated everything to provincial level and sidelined the CCSA, which is presumably why we're getting all these dire forecasts from them. The CCSA has shown that it's competent and capable of handling the situation, at least in the early stages of an outbreak, so why on earth isn't Prayut listening to them any more? We need doctors and scientists leading the response, not corrupt local politicians with all their business friends pressuring them not to shut anything down.

I like your post. But I dare suggest that, after 9 months of one of the worst economic downturns the government is taking a course that favours business at the expense of human lives. And they probably factor in somewhere the sad reality that those will die a most likely to belong to the poorer classes of the country. Many who have lost their jobs after the first lockdown might now lose their lives or their loved ones.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

How do you know there wasn't? Very low testing = very low cases. I'm astounded people still think the previous numbers of infected are true and was the actual total number of infected people in Thailand. It doesn't make sense. They are now saying around 11.5% are positive. The last number of tests in Thailand I remember seeing all those months ago was in the mid 200,000's so more than likely 20,000+ positive. As I've said in another post, covid outbreak in AN AREA of Sydney. 400,000 tests in the last 2 weeks.

This makes sense: Zero tests, zero infections found. 

So you think in a media frenzy country like Thailand 200,000 or even 20,000 positive cases wouldn't make any wave. Hospitals would keep a tight lid on things if they see those type of numbers visiting their ER. Fact is Thailand did do a good job containing the virus and catching it quarantine unlike the the west.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMO there will be no stopping this Outbreak now.

Along with what appears to be some kind of self inflicted Death Wish upon the nation.... there is the population of Thailand to actually deal with.

And these people really dont like being told what to do, or adhere to laws.

Hang on to your Hats, its gonna be a rough ride.