Samui New Year's Eve. Functions and Fireworks.

With the reduction in tourists due to COVID,  does anyone know if and where there will be firework displays tomorrow night? Also any parties? Not much info on the net.

I know Ark Bar usually has a big display, but will they this year?

TIA

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

I know Ark Bar usually has a big display, but will they this year?

133361558_10157397418381442_905014170269

พี่น้องชาวสมุยและนักท่องเที่ยว ขอเชิญมานับถอยหลังขึ้นปีใหม่พร้อมชมดอกไม้ไฟบานสะพรั่งบนท้องฟ้ายามราตรีด้วยกันในวันที่ 31 ธันวาคมนี้ ขอความร่วมมือลงทะเบียนไทยชนะก่อนเข้างานกันด้วยนะครับ แล้วพบกัน...

Samui brothers and tourists invite you to count down to the new year together with the fireworks in the night sky together on 31 December. Let's join the Thai registration team to win before going to the event. Let's meet...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

...does anyone know if and where there will be firework displays tomorrow night?

Normally numerous of the many star resorts will arrange parties and fireworks, including the Koh Phangan FMP, but yes, this year many are closed due to COVID-19.

Only few of the many-star resort in Chaweng are open, and apart from Ark Bar, I know that Green Mango Club has party New Years Eve as always, and I presume both Hush Club and Paradise on the beach will have events or just partying that night...

132359198_4180686281960802_8761425926666

HUSH Club...

“Love like there is no midnight! Trust the magic of new beginnings”!
???????? ???????????? ????ℝ???? ???????????????? ????????
???????????? NYE PARTY ???? ????????
????@????????????????????_????????????_????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????
@hushbarsamui
#????????????????????’???? #????
???????????? - ????????????????....
????ᗪᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕOᗪE????????
Men In Black | Ladies In Gold
????????????????????????????????????????????????
Complimentary NYE
???????? Tipples n Popcorn ????????
Reservations:
FB Nikky Noodles
???? 0847716948

See more on Facebook HERE.

Often the northern bays, i.e. Bo Phut/Fisherman Village and Maenam, are great spots for watching firework, due to the high number of many star resorts and a great view to Phangan and Haad Rin's Full Moon Party; the latter is not held this year. However, a number of the many-star resorts are still open so I will expect some level of firework, even it might not be as much as usually...

wIMG_0247_Happy-New-Year_notext-w1024.jpg.a7de729693dfe7783c1bff2da8c6e83d.jpg

I'll stay in Maenam Bay hoping for some firework – there might be available parties with dinner etc. at some of the resorts or open restaurants – whilst the nightlife in Chaweng's club-area use to be open till late, if you need to party through all night...????

• Like 1

I have just heard that certificates have been given for organised events that have been registered.

Fireworks are allowed for the events that requested them.

(Of course, this could all change tomorrow, depending on how our beloved leader feels when he gets out of bed.)

I went for a short walk on Chaweng beach  today. As khunPer says, the Ark Bar is advertising a party.

Also I asked in the Elephant  Beach Bar next door, and they too are open, with a NYE dinner first, (reservation only), and a party afterwards from 10pm or 11pm. Not quite sure.

Chi also, but last year was "No children." and will probably be very pricy.

I have never thought of it before, but one place that must have a fantastic view of the fireworks is the Jungle Club.

• Like 1

Usually fireworks are done for tourists only. Locals would never do that for themselves. The best fireworks came always from the top hotels. Because there the NYs gala dinner has a hefty price, guests are expecting top standards, great dinner, good shows and a great firework finale.

You could see that best right at the middle of Chaweng beach at the beach. Malibu area. Not Jungle Club, because too far away and below. At Malibu/Chaweng Buri area you know easily where the best fireworks are coming from, who started and who starts. From the Nora Buri/Anantara all the way to the Vana Bell/Sheraton. Best imho Amari and Centara Grand.  

So...no tourists, no fireworks. Only a few medium class tourists, only a few medium fireworks etc. Only a few hippies. only a guy with a fire bowls. It`s interlocked.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, phetphet said:

Chi also, but last year was "No children." and will probably be very pricy.

I have heard (from someone who goes there) that Chi has dropped the entrance fee.

Still pricey drinks though. Same as for all hotel bars.

Six Senses have dropped the cocktail prices at their beach bar tonight. All cocktails 199 baht++.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

The GF has told me that the mayor has said no more than fifty people in gatherings tonight. Seems an odd number number.

Anyone heard of this?

30 was figure I seen. Chi have also advertised social distancing, masks,temp checks and hand sanitizer. Sounds pointless if you ask me . 

46 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

7A969903-6DD7-4673-BEF5-867D2084E167.png

14 days quarantine for arrivals from Bangkok... pretty bad for any business still functioning. A few hotels in the north area of Chaweng are now opened, probably will close again.

38 minutes ago, gearbox said:

14 days quarantine for arrivals from Bangkok... pretty bad for any business still functioning. A few hotels in the north area of Chaweng are now opened, probably will close again.

Makes you wonder if you came out of ASQ today and were heading to Phuket/ samui then would they tell you to quarantine for 14 days ! ????

19 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Makes you wonder if you came out of ASQ today and were heading to Phuket/ samui then would they tell you to quarantine for 14 days ! ????

Exactly what I'll be up to in early February, hopefully these restrictions would be lifted by then.

• Like 1

Just came back from Phuket , they checked all the cars off the ferry .. I was pulled to one side and asked where I had driven from and had to show my passport which they photographed .

I explained that I lived here , they hesitated but then waived me on ... I wonder if they sent anybody back , you would have thought they would have checked in Donsak before boarding .

And this press release ... not sure how it effects planned events for tonight 

PRESS RELEASE: The Tourism Authority of Thailand would like to provide the latest update regarding the Royal Thai Government’s latest announcement on the ban of gatherings nationwide https://tatnews.org/2020/12/tat-update-thai-government-imposes-ban-on-gatherings-over-new-year-2021-holidays #PressRelease #ThaiTravelNews #Thailand #AmazingThailand #COVID19

2 hours ago, churchill said:

And this press release ... not sure how it effects planned events for tonight 

I think the order from the Governor of Surat Thani that ronaldo0  posted gives  the most accurate information for now. Parties can go ahead with limited numbers of 50 and attendees must wear masks and  follow social distancing rules. 

I think I might order a pizza and stay home.