Police checkpoints are back?

jackdd

Since the order to stop all police checkpoints was enacted (maybe two or three months ago?) I didn't see any more checkpoints at the usual spots.

Today when I was riding on the Superhighway, coming from Maya Mall, i encountered a police checkpoint on my side. They didn't stop me, so not sure if it's a common one and for what they check, or maybe a special one due to Covid, or new year.

Does anybody know if the order to stop all police checkpoints was rescinded, or if this checkpoint is just there for a special occasion?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jackdd said:

After being stopped at checkpoints in Thailand for probably several hundred times, only once was I accused of something which I didn't do. After explaining to him why he is wrong he waved me on.

So in more than 99% (based on my personal experience) cases if everything is in order they don't bother people.

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

My experience as well.  Hundreds of stops over the past few years, never a problem, never more than 30 seconds taken. Simply not a problem unless you are in violation of the laws.

You have actually been stopped several hundred times? Do you ave a sign on your car that says, "I am a rich farang"?

I have been here 18 years and been stopped maybe 6 times (always waved through)  and apart from only 2 single occasions (last year) the other times was when I had Thai people in my car.

6 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

You have actually been stopped several hundred times? Do you ave a sign on your car that says, "I am a rich farang"?

I have been here 18 years and been stopped maybe 6 times (always waved through)  and apart from only 2 single occasions (last year) the other times was when I had Thai people in my car.

I'm riding nearly only motorbike, the chance to get stopped is of course exponentially higher compared to a car.

It does of course depend a lot on where you live and where you drive/ride. My record here in Chiang Mai is 4 times in one day.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I'm riding nearly only motorbike, the chance to get stopped is of course exponentially higher compared to a car.

It does of course depend a lot on where you live and where you drive/ride. My record here in Chiang Mai is 4 times in one day.

But I don't only drive around where I live. In any event, if you get stopped near where you live so often - don't they recognise you by now? But to be fair, I have never ridden a motorbike at any time in my entire life

• Like 1

Last couple of weeks have setup near me in Phuket, They have changed the layout of some traffic lights where everybody turns left on a red light, not no more as you turn left the police are there the other day they stopped everyone, I was coming from the other direction so I could see what was going on, 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:44 AM, 4MyEgo said:

They are everywhere up here too, my wife says they are not police check points, more so for the long weekend to keep motorists safe, you know, the ones where everybody sits down under cover and gets smashed and eating Som Tum, while everybody drives through unchecked.

Yeah, I noticed them popping up in my province too but they won't stop or check any motorists just sitting there eating somtum and playing on their phones as you  said. Was the same last year around new year's eve. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 8:39 AM, PatOngo said:

They are not check points as such, they are cash collection points!

They aren't. They don't stop anyone and they don't do anything apart from playing on their phones. 

• Confused 1

On 1/1/2021 at 4:27 AM, jackdd said:

After being stopped at checkpoints in Thailand for probably several hundred times, only once was I accused of something which I didn't do. After explaining to him why he is wrong he waved me on.

So in more than 99% (based on my personal experience) cases if everything is in order they don't bother people.

It's hit or miss. Most of the time I've been waved through, sometimes they want a little tea money. In all they years I lived in Thailand I've only had police make things up to get cash 2-3 times, it's only a few hundred baht.

15 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Went through one checkpoint today -  they were only interested in what provinces I had been to... so, it was a covid check... 

I think there are 3-4 CV19 checkpoints.  One near Chaiyaphreuk and one on the 36.  I think there are a few more also.  More to come!  Especially with the restrictions on traveling from here to provinces with few/no covid cases.

29439.jpg

In addition to the BMA's latest order is the setting up of 14 checkpoints on in-bound roads to screen people returning home from their holiday.

The checkpoints are on major roads connected to other provinces. These roads are used by inter-provincial buses returning to the capital from Chaeng Wattana, Vibhavadi Rangsit, Suwinthawong and Bang Na-Trat.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

My experience as well.  Hundreds of stops over the past few years, never a problem, never more than 30 seconds taken. Simply not a problem unless you are in violation of the laws.

So all these posts about tea money collections are not true? I also have never had a problem at checkpoints in my 14 years here. So when the police are looking for tea money, anyone know how they actually go about it, or is this looking for tea money just a fallacy?

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Slight off subject but can you tell me if they have finished the road works yet on the 36 around Rayong ? thanks in advance.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Parts are absolutely horrible with some really dangerous areas.  As is typical here in Thailand.  Sadly.

But it's getting closer.  This has been going on for years, but it's a huge project.  The bad part is closer to where 36 merges with 3 down south.  Terrible.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

It's hit or miss. Most of the time I've been waved through, sometimes they want a little tea money. In all they years I lived in Thailand I've only had police make things up to get cash 2-3 times, it's only a few hundred baht.

Your last sentence. You mean that because it's only a few hundred Baht you give the police the money even though you know that they

only made things up? Welcome to the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

There is no way that if I knew everything was in order, or I had not broken any laws, I would ever give them any money, I would let them take me to the station first.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Your last sentence. You mean that because it's only a few hundred Baht you give the police the money even though you know that they

only made things up? Welcome to the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

There is no way that if I knew everything was in order, or I had not broken any laws, I would ever give them any money, I would let them take me to the station first.

I've been through checkpoints at least 100 times.  Probably way more.  And yes, I've paid.  Because I was speeding and I knew it.  If I was doing nothing wrong, NO problems.  Never.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1