Police checkpoints are back?

jackdd

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Guess with a lot of bars and other establishments???????? closed they need to make up their income. 

As about app 95% of Thaivisa posters say they have never had any problem with the police at a checkpoint, just

what do they do to get their tea money?

13 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Parts are absolutely horrible with some really dangerous areas.  As is typical here in Thailand.  Sadly.

But it's getting closer.  This has been going on for years, but it's a huge project.  The bad part is closer to where 36 merges with 3 down south.  Terrible.

Thanks for that I'll continue to drive through Rayong then to the new 7. People were undertaking on the unmade sections flat out throwing stones up all over the place. 

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As about app 95% of Thaivisa posters say they have never had any problem with the police at a checkpoint, just

Well I got fined for not having my new tax on the windscreen B300, it was on the dash, didn't have a new sticky thing with it, i had just that day brought the car, my wife tried to explain they asked her who is your father? she told them he is dead! well then came the reply 'that'll be B300 ':cheesy:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

They get their tea money from all the people who ride without Helmet, without driving license or who didn't pay tax.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

They get their tea money from all the people who ride without Helmet, without driving license or who didn't pay tax.

That's a good answer, maybe that is why that on my motorbike road trips I rarely see any checkpoints on the highways, mostly in towns, and I never do road trips on national holidays for obvious reasons.

I don't think the police would get a lot of tea money from highway checkpoints, but that is just an opinion.

18 hours ago, natway09 said:

If you drive from Tak to Mae Sot you will automatically get stopped 3 times but they are very pleasant & 

NEVER a hint of paying anything

Happened to me a few years ago, as natway09 said very pleasant, they explained to me they were looking for illegal immigrants who had crossed the border.

Funny though 3 stops going towards the border and only one coming away?.

It seemed checkpoints in Pattaya were always designed to cite tourist for helmet, DL and sometimes DUI infractions to generate revenue and or bribes.  The checkpoints seemed to ignore Thai's who commonly have no license at all and in many cases no helmet. Thais also appeared to be the primary drunk and reckless drivers hence all of the accidents in area all over Thailand most of which involving only locals

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Your last sentence. You mean that because it's only a few hundred Baht you give the police the money even though you know that they

only made things up? Welcome to the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

There is no way that if I knew everything was in order, or I had not broken any laws, I would ever give them any money, I would let them take me to the station first.

Who's said I was scared? and scared of what?  Most of the timed I'm waved through. If they start their <deleted> I play it our for a few minutes it they start pushing back and wasting time I just give them the 200B as I dont have time for that <deleted>, I'm not going to a police station over 200B not worth my time!

On 1/2/2021 at 12:09 AM, kenk24 said:

Went through one checkpoint today -  they were only interested in what provinces I had been to... so, it was a covid check... 

What Province? No inter-provincial shoppingI just went to BicC to pick up a few items.

My record in Chiang may 3 times a day. Everything in order carry on ka pom.

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

Who's said I was scared? and scared of what?  Most of the timed I'm waved through. If they start their <deleted> I play it our for a few minutes it they start pushing back and wasting time I just give them the 200B as I dont have time for that <deleted>, I'm not going to a police station over 200B not worth my time!

You certainly gave that impression in your post,  two hundred bt is a bit different from, in your words, a few hundred bt. Yes, if it was two hundred bt I would just give it to them, but only if they threatened to take me to the station.

22 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You certainly gave that impression in your post,  two hundred bt is a bit different from, in your words, a few hundred bt. Yes, if it was two hundred bt I would just give it to them, but only if they threatened to take me to the station.

I have been stopped many times on M/C ....then just held up my Cards and waved through. One time they stopped me and wanted my drivers license, which I had left at the hotel. I was in the wrong. The cop then showed me a card in English that said "Pay the police officer B500". I said no in Thai and told him to get on the back of my motorbike and we will go to the police station together. A bit more discussion and then he says B 100?  Okay, I replied. A fair deal when I was in the wrong.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Teak said:

I have been stopped many times on M/C ....then just held up my Cards and waved through. One time they stopped me and wanted my drivers license, which I had left at the hotel. I was in the wrong. The cop then showed me a card in English that said "Pay the police officer B500". I said no in Thai and told him to get on the back of my motorbike and we will go to the police station together. A bit more discussion and then he says B 100?  Okay, I replied. A fair deal when I was in the wrong.

You sure did the right thing refusing to pay the 500Bt, I never thought of asking to take them to the station, I will keep that in mind if I am ever asked for money from them. I am not scared to stand up to them, the same applies to IOs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am not scared to stand up to them, the same applies to IOs.

Yes it is highly recommended that you stand up to them as often as possible causing them to loose face.  This is a great way to make life easier for yourself and improve the general harmony of the community.  Just like everywhere it is best to <deleted> off the police whenever possible.

46 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Yes it is highly recommended that you stand up to them as often as possible causing them to loose face.  This is a great way to make life easier for yourself and improve the general harmony of the community.  Just like everywhere it is best to <deleted> off the police whenever possible.

It definitely is what everybody should do. If the officer loses face several times while trying to extort/scam his victim, he might stop doing this.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

If they lose face then that's just too bad, I will not be pushed around by anyone, police or IOs, and will always stand up to them as  long as I know that I am in the right.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:49 AM, possum1931 said:

If they lose face then that's just too bad, I will not be pushed around by anyone, police or IOs, and will always stand up to them as  long as I know that I am in the right.

Yes. Very wise. You re not going to be "pushed around". Sure. Go ahead. Reminder. You re a Foreigner living as a guest in Thailand. You think you have "rights"? Good for you!!!!!

7 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Yes. Very wise. You re not going to be "pushed around". Sure. Go ahead. Reminder. You re a Foreigner living as a guest in Thailand. You think you have "rights"? Good for you!!!!!

Correct but remember that Possum is a macho man who thinks being pushed around is someone asking him for a small amount of money.  If he had ever really been pushed around he might have a bit more sense and few less teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EL159 said:

I am a human being and I expect to be treated like one, no matter where I am, I am not a "guest" in Thailand, more like a criminal the way myself and most other expats who live here are treated.

There are some however, who are members of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

FWIW, I returned to Chiang Mai on Wednesday having driven from Surin. I went through 3 of the so called 'hot zone' Providences and was not stopped at a checkpoint the entire way.

Did you drive in the night? Usually the checkpoints stop work at about 4pm, because as we all know, people can't bring covid with them after 4pm.

• Haha 1

Came up from Lamphun yesterday.  We've got CM plates on the car.
Two Covid checkpoints.  One at the HW11/HW121 intersection.  Cars with CM plates waved through - others stopped.  Then again at HW11/HW1141 intersection.  Again cars with CM plates waved though and others stopped. And yes, they had cars pulled over all over the place.

Nice to have Chiang Mai plates.

Edited by connda