Lawyer or Agent to assist with Marriage extension - Mae Sai or Chiang Rai area

Tuvoc

Hi,

In February I'll be doing my very first 12 month extension based on marriage.  For the first one I'm thinking of using an agent or lawyer to assist, to make sure it is all done correctly.  Everything fully legal of course, the 400k is in the bank etc, I'm not trying to do anything dodgy, but for my first experience with immigration I'm a bit apprehensive especially as my wife isn't great with bureaucracy . Does anyone have a recommendation of someone they've used or know of, and approximate cost ? We're in Mae Chan, in between Mae Sai and Chiang Rai so they both work equally well.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Standard procedure when I go to town anyway.

Wifey may not be as well educated as you in some ways but when it comes to dealing with other Thais she's several levels of competence above us.

Another good idea for first timers is to do a dry run (drop in for a chat) several weeks ahead, get all the ducks in a row ahead of time.

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sceadugenga said:

Another good idea for first timers is to do a dry run (drop in for a chat) several weeks ahead, get all the ducks in a row ahead of time.

I certainly wouldn't leave it until the last minute that is for sure. I'd start the process early in the 30-day window.

Yes I suppose my wife and immigration will have all the discussions about whether the documentation is complete and satisfactory, and will guide her as to what is needed. I will study all the forms myself of course.

13 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

We're in Mae Chan, in between Mae Sai and Chiang Rai so they both work equally well.

chiang rai immigration does retirement extension only on monday and wednesday.

i think, for marriage extension it would be the same ...

for my retirement extension i never ever take my wife with me ????,

but for your marriage extension you won't have a choice ... ????

• Like 2

To answer the OP's original question, I've not heard of any agents here doing this type of visa for people anyway.

Just get your list of documents required, when in doubt... take it, copy everything twice.

They wanted every stamped page in the passport copied this year, last year I only seem to have to done the current visas etc.

Most people get something wrong on ocasions, it's no big deal you just go back and do it over.

A friendly officer told us one year, "if you're married to a Thai and you meet the requirements there's no way that you're going to leave here without a visa".