Smoked ham

Susco

Why is this stuff so incredible expensive in Thailand? Well actually it is not only smoked ham, but salami is the same, for no apparent reason, since they are produced in Thailand.

The cheapest I have found so far is at foodland, black forest ham at 940 Baht/kg, and it tastes good, but still overpriced IMO and anything else is like 3 - 4000 Baht/kg.

In Europe you get good stuff for around 500Baht/kg, so why so expensive here, or do I look at the wrong places?

Does Black Forest ham come from a black forest? | Interesting Answers

6 hours ago, jastheace said:

small scale operations? supply and demand? chicken feet are overpriced in Brixton market IMO.

Seen the price of chicken feet in Thailand? They are about the same as chicken breast.

By the way, in Brixton the chicken have as many feet as in Thailand.

As far as I know: the stuff made in Thailand is not the real stuff. They use some "smoke aroma".

Proper smoking is difficult to impossible at tropical temperatures.

The black forest ham from the OP looks like the real stuff, imported.

So 940/kg is cheap(!) compared to other offerings.

The TGM "smoke aroma" stuff costs more.

You don't look at the wrong places.

Such products are burdened with excessive toll/tax.

Also I learned that import regulations/bureaucrazy have been exacerbated (tracking down to individual production animal), so that some importers have given up and only the most expensive stuff is left over.

Maybe a reaction to swine flu, another gift from our Chinese friends?

Genuine Parma ham starts at 3000/kg or so.

At Villa market they sell tiny amounts (80gr) of smoked ham for stunning prices.

All genuine western brands.

Best I found in Pattaya was at Friendship market.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Susco said:

Why is this stuff so incredible expensive in Thailand? Well actually it is not only smoked ham, but salami is the same, for no apparent reason, since they are produced in Thailand.

The cheapest I have found so far is at foodland, black forest ham at 940 Baht/kg, and it tastes good, but still overpriced IMO and anything else is like 3 - 4000 Baht/kg.

In Europe you get good stuff for around 500Baht/kg, so why so expensive here, or do I look at the wrong places?

Does Black Forest ham come from a black forest? | Interesting Answers

Make your own ham. 

Use a cure or brine. Hot or cold smoker is easy to set up.

Google is your friend.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Susco said:

Seen the price of chicken feet in Thailand? They are about the same as chicken breast.

By the way, in Brixton the chicken have as many feet as in Thailand.

thanks.

point i was making was.....

thailand has prohibitive import taxes, which makes the concept of 'thai' produced smoked products economical, however demand would still be fairly low. thai's like their chicken feet you see. so production would still be fairly small scale. in europe, this stuff is produced in huge smoke rooms at industrial levels. making the price in the occident seem reasonable.

hope the LCD display is still working well BTW.

Well, you could go to a supermarket in Europe and check how much Mama noodles cost and then complain why it's 50x more expensive than in Thailand.

It's niche product. There aren't so many foreigners with the love for salami and prosciutto in Thailand, so if you want it, you are expected to pay more.

Foodland used to have a dutch guy working for them that oversaw the salami production and under his reign the quality of dried stuff was at a level comparable to what you can buy in Europe. Wonder if he's still there. That's 20 years back...

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Well, you could go to a supermarket in Europe and check how much Mama noodles cost and then complain why it's 50x more expensive than in Thailand.

You just made that up, didn't you, because they are not sold at50x the prices. Maybe at double the price.

There have in the past been posted many examples here, where Singha beer is actually sold at the same price or cheaper in the UK and other European countries. I don't think Singha is produced anywhere else than Thailand.

I do understand that imported products are sold at a premium, but there is a difference between premium and greed.

At the prices which are charged here for smoked ham, and other products like cheese and salami,  I can have a friend buy 1 kg at a supermarket in Europe and send it by DHL to Thailand.

Now just take note, that supermarkets in Thailand don't buy at prices it is sold in the supermarket in Europe, neither do they purchase 1 kg and send it by DHL.

Next

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

You just made that up, didn't you, because they are not sold at50x the prices. Maybe at double the price.

There have in the past been posted many examples here, where Singha beer is actually sold at the same price or cheaper in the UK and other European countries. I don't think Singha is produced anywhere else than Thailand.

I do understand that imported products are sold at a premium, but there is a difference between premium and greed.

At the prices which are charged here for smoked ham, and other products like cheese and salami,  I can have a friend buy 1 kg at a supermarket in Europe and send it by DHL to Thailand.

Now just take note, that supermarkets in Thailand don't buy at prices it is sold in the supermarket in Europe, neither do they purchase 1 kg and send it by DHL.

Next

I think I have a photo somewhere. Original small Mama pack of noodles, Tom Yum flavour, at [deleted] in Slovenia was 9.95 EUR. That is over 350 baht. How much does it cost in Thailand?

Deleted name of supermarket chain as it now also exists in Thailand.... Defamation laws and such...

Edited by tomazbodner

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

I think I have a photo somewhere. Original small Mama pack of noodles, Tom Yum flavour, at [deleted] in Slovenia was 9.95 EUR. That is over 350 baht. How much does it cost in Thailand?

Deleted name of supermarket chain as it now also exists in Thailand.... Defamation laws and such...

I don't really care about your apologist drivel. Nissin Noodles in carrefour are 0.95 Euro. Now please, find another thread to post your apologist drivel

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

I don't really care about your apologist drivel. Nissin Noodles in carrefour are 0.95 Euro. Now please, find another thread to post your apologist drivel

If you say so. Take some calming herbs. All this posting is making you very tense.

This is importer of Italian/Spanish meat products: https://www.jagota.com/products/subdepartment/0103-mediterranean

Contact them if you're willing to buy a large quantity at a lower price: https://www.jagota.com/contactus

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Susco said:

You seem to be getting a bit hot under the collar. I appreciate that the 50+ price is unusual. However, you have quoted prices of what you want as about double (500bht and 940 baht). You then quoted 3-4000 baht but offered no examples.

It is much the same with Thai products in other countries. Here in UK my wife and daughter pay 45p for Mama noodles. That is about 20 baht. Compare that with 7 baht in Thailand.

Is that greed? No it is not. It is mostly expences accrued by the importer.

I once questioned prices in Thailand with a guy who imports. This is what he said "If something in the UK is £1 in a supermarket, ie 100 pence, by the time it gets to Bangkok the value is numerically the same in Thai baht. So a product for 100p has a value of 100baht by the time it arrives in Thailand. 

This is before any retailer has added their margin.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I once questioned prices in Thailand with a guy who imports. This is what he said "If something in the UK is £1 in a supermarket, ie 100 pence, by the time it gets to Bangkok the value is numerically the same in Thai baht. So a product for 100p has a value of 100baht by the time it arrives in Thailand. 

This is before any retailer has added their margin.

Presumably Thai retailers don't source from UK supermarkets.

Making your whole argument fallacious.

I could also add in another point.

Apples sourced in China are sold for 50% more in China than they are in Thailand.

You can't assume all imported products are more expensive than in their country of origin.

Edited by BritManToo

45 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You seem to be getting a bit hot under the collar. I appreciate that the 50+ price is unusual. However, you have quoted prices of what you want as about double (500bht and 940 baht). You then quoted 3-4000 baht but offered no examples.

You're avin a laff, don't you.

Why do I need to quote examples? Everyone living in Thailand, and not being an apologist, knows that 3-4000 Baht prices are real.

By the way, if hadn't ignored KhunBenq's post, you would have noticed that he confirmed it starts at 3000 Baht

51 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

It is much the same with Thai products in other countries. Here in UK my wife and daughter pay 45p for Mama noodles. That is about 20 baht. Compare that with 7 baht in Thailand.

I never claimed that in the UK they apply the same greed as in Thailand.

52 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Your example may be true for cheap products, 1 pound products, which may be 2.5 Pound by the time they arrive here.

But 10 pound products are not 25 pound by the time they arrive here, and for sure not 100 pound.

If you want another example. A 250 Gram President Camembert cheese is 1.25 Euro in Belgium ( import from France ).

The very same cheese is here 515 Baht

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Presumably Thai retailers don't source from UK supermarkets.

Making your whole argument fallacious.

I could also add in another point.

Apples sourced in China are sold for 50% more in China than they are in Thailand.

You can't assume all imported products are more expensive than in their country of origin.

My post and comparisons were in relation to the products the OP was speaking about. Namely, products from our homelands that are produced produced in our homelands. The price comparisons were in relation to what one would pay in that nation.

With this in mind, your suggestion that my argument is fallacious is inane.

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:
11 minutes ago, Susco said:

But 10 pound products are not 25 pound by the time they arrive here,

Your original post suggests that they are.

See you are an apologist.

Where did i claim that the items are 2.5 times the price by the time they arrive here?

What is suggested in the OP, and in my previous reply to you, is that the greedy supermarkets in Thailand sell them at TEN times the price they cost in the country of origin. I'm sure you understand the difference between cost and sales price.

Here is the excerpt from the OP again, for you only.

anything else is like 3 - 4000 Baht/kg.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Since the OP seems to be complaining about the price, this may be a good alternative.

Spam comes in smoked hickory and is about 5 bucks a can.

You can order it online.

Enjoy!

0c6bb001785522f22f0ed52185dabd1c.jpg_q80_.webp

Edited by bkk6060
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Since the OP seems to be complaining about the price, this may be a good alternative.

Spam comes in smoked hickory and is about 5 bucks a can,  hopefully meets your budget. 

You can order it online.

Enjoy!

0c6bb001785522f22f0ed52185dabd1c.jpg_q80_.webp

That is the stuff Europeans ate during WW1 because they didn't have anything else, and Brits today still think it's a delicacy, but is not even remotely related to the kind of ham which is the subject of the topic.

You are a Brit aren't you?

• Sad 2