Smoked ham

Susco

On 12/31/2020 at 2:36 AM, jastheace said:

small scale operations? supply and demand? chicken feet are overpriced in Brixton market IMO.

Brixton Market? Chicken Feet and fish heads are very reasonably priced there due to lack of demand. My Asian friends tell me such item are cheaper in Brixton than back in Asia.

10 minutes ago, Nout said:

Brixton Market? Chicken Feet and fish heads are very reasonably priced there due to lack of demand. My Asian friends tell me such item are cheaper in Brixton than back in Asia.

Actually not just that. Chicken feet are bio waste and meat producers had to pay to have it disposed. I know of a guy who is a millionnaire, who gave them 50% discount on collecting stuff, then froze it and sent it to China, where he sold it. So he got paid for taking it, and paid for selling it. Not sure who supplies chicken feet to Thailand. Maybe there's your potential business idea...

35 minutes ago, Susco said:

That is the stuff Europeans ate during WW1 because they didn't have anything else, and Brits today still think it's a delicacy, but is not even remotely related to the kind of ham which is the subject of the topic.

You are a Brit aren't you?

WW2. Originally from USA. Spiced Ham was the original name. Changed to Special Processed American Meat.

It still has that nostalgic taste. Something for which I am not an apologist.????

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

WW2. Originally from USA. Spiced Ham was the original name. Changed to Special Processed American Meat.

It still has that nostalgic taste. Something for which I am not an apologist.????

Didn't know it was invented in the US, but UK is the only country in Europe that seems to eat it, which tells me something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food)

Europe

United Kingdom

After World War II, Newforge Foods, part of the Fitch Lovell group, was awarded the licence to produce the product in the UK at its Gateacre factory, Liverpool,[34] where it stayed until production switched to the Danish Crown Group (owners of the Tulip Food Company) in 1998.[35]

The United Kingdom has adopted Spam into various recipes. For example, recipes include Spam Yorkshire Breakfast, Spamish Omelette, and Spam Hash.[36] Spam can also be sliced, battered and deep-fried into Spam fritters.[37]

Me as a European had never heard about it until I arrived in Thailand, and read about the Brits considering it a delicacy.

Other suggested buying it if a nuclear strike was ever to happen, to take into the bomb shelters, as it lasts decades

I bought it once in Tesco, and threw away the tin before finishing it

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nout said:

Yes. Correct. They are cheap due to lack of demand. Some other places can not give them away. At 10 pence per kilo, IMO, they are overpriced. See what I did there......

Edited by jastheace

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Didn't know it was invented in the US, but UK is the only country in Europe that seems to eat it, which tells me something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food)

Europe

United Kingdom

After World War II, Newforge Foods, part of the Fitch Lovell group, was awarded the licence to produce the product in the UK at its Gateacre factory, Liverpool,[34] where it stayed until production switched to the Danish Crown Group (owners of the Tulip Food Company) in 1998.[35]

The United Kingdom has adopted Spam into various recipes. For example, recipes include Spam Yorkshire Breakfast, Spamish Omelette, and Spam Hash.[36] Spam can also be sliced, battered and deep-fried into Spam fritters.[37]

Me as a European had never heard about it until I arrived in Thailand, and read about the Brits considering it a delicacy.

Other suggested buying it if a nuclear strike was ever to happen, to take into the bomb shelters, as it lasts decades

I bought it once in Tesco, and threw away the tin before finishing it

SPAM similar to PEK pork (Polish). not just in Britain. Also package as different guises in other countries. Hardly considered a delicacy. handy to keep in the cupboard for when the decent stuff runs out, that's it. Corned beef however, that's a different story, lol.

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Actually not just that. Chicken feet are bio waste and meat producers had to pay to have it disposed. I know of a guy who is a millionnaire, who gave them 50% discount on collecting stuff, then froze it and sent it to China, where he sold it. So he got paid for taking it, and paid for selling it. Not sure who supplies chicken feet to Thailand. Maybe there's your potential business idea...

There was a guy in California who got paid to get rid of the rinds/peels of oranges and lemons from processing plants.  Shipped them to Japan (?) where they would candy them.  $$$.

My wife here in the U.S. has noted the increase in price for things like cow stomach, chicken feet and pig ears over the last 30 years or so.  Too many immigrants now who like that stuff.  They also pick clean the second-hand stores for clothes and such. 

As for ham, bacon and Spam:

• Thanks 1