Cash-strapped Americans ask Mnuchin where their “stimmy” checks are

webfact

34 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thank you very much.  If all your living on is Social Security then it is definitely a meager amount.  Doing my fathers estate now as he passed 4 days before Christmas.  His SS income for the year was $17,100 so I guess as always a Tax return will need to be done as he also had a small pension.  Hopefully those living at the threshold for filing have no other necessary payments other than daily bills and food.  Additionally, I would hope that the money they have put away is in a tax free status to be pulled out when needed.  Again Thank you very much for the information.  I know that my children when going to college and working did not need to file, just never thought about it on the other end.

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thank you very much.  If all your living on is Social Security then it is definitely a meager amount.  Doing my fathers estate now as he passed 4 days before Christmas.  His SS income for the year was $17,100 so I guess as always a Tax return will need to be done as he also had a small pension.  Hopefully those living at the threshold for filing have no other necessary payments other than daily bills and food.  Additionally, I would hope that the money they have put away is in a tax free status to be pulled out when needed.  Again Thank you very much for the information.  I know that my children when going to college and working did not need to file, just never thought about it on the other end.

I had my father pass away earlier this year... Just be aware, Congress changed the law re inherited IRAs this past year, and now most non-spouses who inherit IRAs via will or POD accounts have to withdraw the funds and close the account within 10 years. No annual RMDs, but big penalties if the accounts are not closed out by the 10-year deadline. So that basically forces you to start taking the funds annually, unless you take larger lump sums that will send your tax bracket skyward. The only major exception to that are spouses, who still have longer times that they can keep inherited funds in tax sheltered accounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthedarkside said:

I had my father pass away earlier this year... Just be aware, Congress changed the law re inherited IRAs this past year, and now most non-spouses who inherit IRAs via will or POD accounts have to withdraw the funds and close the account within 10 years. No annual RMDs, but big penalties if the accounts are not closed out by the 10-year deadline. So that basically forces you to start taking the funds annually, unless you take larger lump sums that will send your tax bracket skyward. The only major exception to that are spouses, who still have longer times that they can keep inherited funds in tax sheltered accounts.

Thanks for the information. Thats good to know information.  I am dealing g with his attorney as he has all assets and instruments as well as the house in a family trust so its sheltered and goes to the grandkids after they turn 21. He was single.  His stimulus check of 600 dollars just deposited in his account as I started to write this post. Kind of ironic.