UK parliament approves Brexit trade deal with EU as both sides look to future

webfact

53 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Not a landslide for Brexit, but it was by a clear majority.

quote "3 hours ago, puipuitom said:
"As the British voter overwhelmingly in a land slide voted for" was always told by the Brexiteers, as.. there is a Brexit.

Good luck."

quote from the OP.

"Parliament's lower house voted 521 to 73 in favour of the deal."

That result isn't a landslide? It is about 86% and if that isn't enough of a landslide please tell me what is?

However, puipuitom is a hard Remainer so anything below 100% for him is not a landslide.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jesimps said:

Why panic buying? It isn't a no-deal Brexit.

Because every business that trades with Europe has a lot of homework to do before midnight, and due to the puerile brinkmanship on both sides, no time to research and prepare to comply with a 2000 page agreenent.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, candide said:

It seems to be a good deal for the EU. EU manufacturers can go on exporting products without tariff and UK export of services to the EU will not be as easy as before. UK is kept as a peripheral actor with no more influence on EU's decisions.

A large share of fishing rights is protected for some time and we will still be able to use Netscape! ????

Maybe we got fed up with having to do what Brussels told us to do... now we get to tell them where to go !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Because every business that trades with Europe has a lot of homework to do before midnight, and due to the puerile brinkmanship on both sides, no time to research and prepare to comply with a 2000 page agreenent.

But not every business in the UK trades with the EU.

Those that do are usually large companies who employ people to research the "What if" situations and should have done most of their homework already.

• Like 1

While it lasted, Brexit mess brought big volatility and made me really good profits this year, a lot more than I expected???? I was hoping it would drag into next year but, oh well, good time always come to an end. 

Edited by sitti
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I am not sure that recipients are self nominated. But I agree - you have to take your hat off to the man. That he and a small minority of the UK electorate were able to cause so much reckless damage is remarkable. 

Farage never really thought he'd win and get Brexit. He thought he'd got a nice number for life as MEP and then juicy pension. 

He was like a fish out of water when he realized they'd won and quickly found out as to being clueless.

Small minority at the core but some how they managed to persuade enough people to be a small majority. Which again demonstrates the problems with absolute majorities without any tolerances on massively important votes. 

But his family have their German EU passports, thanks to his wife; and he supposedly was off to the US. Although now his mate Trump is out, maybe that's off. 

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

quote "3 hours ago, puipuitom said:
"As the British voter overwhelmingly in a land slide voted for" was always told by the Brexiteers, as.. there is a Brexit.

Good luck."

quote from the OP.

"Parliament's lower house voted 521 to 73 in favour of the deal."

That result isn't a landslide? It is about 86% and if that isn't enough of a landslide please tell me what is?

However, puipuitom is a hard Remainer so anything below 100% for him is not a landslide.

I think the poster you're answering was referring to the actual Brexit advisory referendum being by a small majority. Not this vote in parliament.

Clearly, this deal has been overwhelmingly accepted by parliament. Unlike the Theresa May, "this is the best deal, the one and only deal, which can't be changed" which was thrown out; and changed!

• Like 1

Are the UK completely out the E.U now ?

No more discussions or negotiations or ratifications or votes or anything ?

Is this the day that the Pound collapses , 800 000 are thrown out of work , food shortages , fields going unharvested , starvation , no drugs coming in from the E.U and the health system will collapse , millions of non British people being forced to leave the UK .

Is today the day ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Is this the day that the Pound collapses , 800 000 are thrown out of work , food shortages , fields going unharvested , starvation , no drugs coming in from the E.U and the health system will collapse , millions of non British people being forced to leave the UK .

Is today the day ?

Can you tell me who said that would happen (if anyone said it at all) within a day of brexit being completed with a trade deal in place?

Links included please. 

Edited by Bluespunk

18 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Is today the day ?

What's that sky still doing there?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Can you tell me who said that would happen (if anyone said it at all) within a day of brexit being completed with a trade deal in place?

Links included please. 

Those were the things the Anti-Brexiteers were claiming .

Thats just from my memory , cannot provide a link to that 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Those were the things the Anti-Brexiteers were claiming .

Thats just from my memory , cannot provide a link to that 

Ah huh, unless you can back up this then the only conclusion is you are making it up. 

I do not recall anyone saying anything like that you claim was said about what would happen in the event of an exit with a trade deal in place. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah huh, unless you can back up this then the only conclusion is you are making it up. 

I do not recall anyone saying anything like you claim was said about what would happen in the event of an exit with a trade deal in place. 

Those were the predictions BEFORE the actual vote , scare mongering by Remainers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Yeah right, that is what was said would happen one day after an exit with a trade deal in place. 

LOL

Those were the predictions of what would happen if we left the E.U.

We have now left the E.U and I was asking whether the predictions came true 

• Haha 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

Those were the predictions of what would happen if we left the E.U.

We have now left the E.U and I was asking whether the predictions came true 

Yeah right, sure you were. 

Lol

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

I put three question marks in my post (and I missed a few out as well , although they were quite clearly questions being asked )

Not sure how you can dispute that I was asking a question 

I’m asking you who said those things would happen in the event of an exit with a deal in place. 

I suspect the answer is no one did. 

Just giving you the opportunity to explain who said those exact things would happen  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

I’m asking you who said those things would happen in the event of an exit with a deal in place. 

I suspect the answer is no one did. 

Just giving you the opportunity to explain who said those exact things would happen  

bomber said so  

26 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Is today the day ?

I think that's enormously exaggerated, not really to be stick to the letter.

I didn't believe Mr. Johnson  : " I'd rather be dead in a ditch than ask for Brexit delay" was to be taken stick to the letter,  and indeed it wasn't.

Problems, annoyances will occur, no doubt, they will occur in Europe too.

However there is on both side a desire to carry on.

And circumstances will of course be different, but the E.U and the U.K. will still have to deal together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I think that's enormously exaggerated, not really to be stick to the letter.

I didn't believe Mr. Johnson  : " I'd rather be dead in a ditch than ask for Brexit delay" was to be taken stick to the letter,  and indeed it wasn't.

Problems, annoyances will occur, no doubt, they will occur in Europe too.

However there is on both side a desire to carry on.

And circumstances will of course be different, but the E.U and the U.K. will still have to deal together.

The "dead in a ditch" was a figure of speech , it wasnt meant literally and it wasnt a prediction .

The UK's economy crashing was indeed a prediction meant to be taken literally, it wasnt a figure of speech .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

The "dead in a ditch" was a figure of speech , it wasnt meant literally and it wasnt a prediction .

The UK's economy crashing was indeed a prediction meant to be taken literally, it wasnt a figure of speech .

No doubt some will share your opinion, and some not, and there is no way this can be cleared with data.

Thus to each in particular to believe what suits him best.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

No doubt some will share your opinion, and some not, and there is no way this can be cleared with data.

Thus to each in particular to believe what suits him best.

It was quite clearly a figure of speech , it definitely wasn't a promise or a statement of intent .

*I would rather live on the moon , rather than living in France* is another figure of speech , but in reality, I would go and live in France .

22 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

1. The most negative scenarii have been made in case of no deal. As you know, there is a deal, so your post was irrelevant.

2. These negative predictions were over several years, not for the first day of Brexit

3. They were not about crashing, rather max. losing around 2% of GDP from the expected GDP figure without Brexit.

• Thanks 1