Cross-country bus driver tests positive, passengers urged to get tested

webfact

Cross-country bus driver tests positive, passengers urged to get tested

By THE NATION

800_0a6d8dcbea2e9be.jpg?v=1609434824

An interprovincial bus driver has tested positive for Covid-19 in Rayong, health authorities said on Thursday.

The driver operated on the Nakhonchai Air service between Chiang Mai and Rayong. Authorities have urged travellers who took the bus between December 17 and 31 to report to local health officials.

Close contacts of the infected driver are being traced and tested. Meanwhile the bus on the driver’s route have been sterilised.

Rayong recorded 77 new Covid-19 cases on Thursday, bringing the total in the eastern province during the latest outbreak to 279. The cases were mostly local residents but also included 16 migrant workers and one medic.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400540

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-01

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

An interprovincial bus driver has tested positive for Covid-19 in Rayong, health authorities said on Thursday.

The driver operated on the Nakhonchai Air service between Chiang Mai and Rayong. Authorities have urged travellers who took the bus between December 17 and 31 to report to local health officials.

The new year nightmare begins. 

So how many passengers were infected during those 2 weeks? (14 trips?) and how many of them just celebrated NYE with their family and friends on two separate sides of the country. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

The new year nightmare begins. 

So how many passengers were infected during those 2 weeks? (14 trips?) and how many of them just celebrated NYE with their family and friends on two separate sides of the country. 

So if I was on this bus, I would be expected to pay about 6000Bt for a test? I wonder how much of the huge profit will go into the unelected "PM" and his generals pockets? if any other Farangs are on this bus, are they all just automatically going to run to a hospital, probably get told they are negative and then pay that 6000bt or whatever it is.

My attitude would be that if I go and get tested and then I am negative, do I still have to pay the 6000bt? If that is the case, there would be no way I would voluntary go for the test.

It is all right for the Thais, they don't have to pay anything as far as I know.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So if I was on this bus, I would be expected to pay about 6000Bt for a test? I wonder how much of the huge profit will go into the unelected "PM" and his generals pockets? if any other Farangs are on this bus, are they all just automatically going to run to a hospital, probably get told they are negative and then pay that 6000bt or whatever it is.

My attitude would be that if I go and get tested and then I am negative, do I still have to pay the 6000bt? If that is the case, there would be no way I would voluntary go for the test.

It is all right for the Thais, they don't have to pay anything as far as I know.

A good argument for using the Thai Chana which offers users a free test in such cases.

• Like 1

Just goes with the issue of them keeping interprovincial and provincial travel open with no restrictions from the week before the elections to the current New Years holidays.  Nothing like spreading the wealth of the virus.  If those on the bus need to be tested then the test should be free and on the governments dime.  Easy to prove if you were on the bus I would assume.  Why not surround those people who were on the bus and their residences with Barbed wire like the migrants, just saying.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why not surround those people who were on the bus and their residences with Barbed wire like the migrants, just saying.

They're still working on how much to charge any foreigners for the barbed wire

For goodness sake, this is why a national lockdown is needed, not Mr P passing the buck to the local governors. He's clearly too busy planning Thailand's moonshot or negotiating a discount on submarines to be bothered with all this virus mallarky. 

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Taking your hypothetical to its logical conclusion, if you had ridden this bus at any time between the dates given, in lieu of paying 6000 baht for a PCR test, would you self-quarantine instead, just in case?

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

And not before??; all buses should be sterilized on a regular basis. IMO 

Define "regular" basis. The bus was definitely sterilised when steel was moulded into body and windows rolled... and it'll be sterilised again once it gets into press to turn it into some new raw materials....

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

So if I was on this bus, I would be expected to pay about 6000Bt for a test? I wonder how much of the huge profit will go into the unelected "PM" and his generals pockets?

I think I read on this forum earlier this year, that if you're "lucky" to test positive, the test is free

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

So how many passengers were infected during those 2 weeks? (14 trips?)

28 trips.

The bus drives on average 10 hours one way, then returns during the second part of the 24 hour day.

Maybe not the same driver, but the virus is in the bus already

52 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Taking your hypothetical to its logical conclusion, if you had ridden this bus at any time between the dates given, in lieu of paying 6000 baht for a PCR test, would you self-quarantine instead, just in case?

No.

13 hours ago, possum1931 said:
14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No.

That's very socially responsible of you.

Now, if subsequent reports did indicate that there was a cluster that was proven to have originated on this bus service that you used, in lieu of paying 6000 baht for a PCR test, would you self-quarantine instead, just in case?

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That's very socially responsible of you.

Now, if subsequent reports did indicate that there was a cluster that was proven to have originated on this bus service that you used, in lieu of paying 6000 baht for a PCR test, would you self-quarantine instead, just in case?

If it was a cluster of people who were positive, then yes I would quarantine myself for a couple of weeks, I would even pay for a test if I was sure no one was profiteering from it, but no way would I help fill the pockets of the unelected "PM" and his tinpot soldiers.

• Like 1