Spain, Britain agree to keep Gibraltar land border open

webfact

5 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Critical  permanent joint operating base for UK military and  intelligence operations in the region. This is a monitoring station for the migrant traffic in Mediterranean from North Africa. They go to France and then to UK.  Also it is a major fueling depot for shipping. Spain has been trying to get the profitable  business for decades. Gibraltar has no tax on its fueling business and if Spain could take control it would impose tax and gain from that.

The tax haven is not "full". The tax benefits only apply to  income made in Gibraltar. A UK company can not hide its wealth in Gibraltar because of the tie in to  UK revenue. 

The Vikings were then defeated by Saxons in 878 laying the foundation  for England. In 900 the king of the Picts further  destroyed the Vikings.  Then Frenchmen arrived in the Norman conquest and more war, but also the start of the end of slavery. Eventually Normans were sent away and  English went about killing and absorbing everyone into the nation we see today. I think different from Gibraltar because Spanish never really had it. Remember that Spain was a military dictatorship without democracy until only recent times.  If UK was not there, I think Spain would have delayed  becoming free. Only UK has history of stable democracy. Spain does not.

Also Spain  complaints are funny. It has the occupying colonies in North Africa , Melilia and Ceuta.

The future of Gibraltar will be interesting to watch but whatever it's future is it will change dramatically.  The free movement of labour (and ability to live) across that border will result in dramatic changes long term.  Southern Spain near there is in need of the jobs that Gibraltar provides.  In the end I think it will be a symbiotic relationship that may lead to not necessarily Gibraltar becoming part of Spain... but will likely result in Gibraltar distancing itself through that process from the UK.  It could lead to a more self-governed territory of the EU more than a territory of the UK.   As long as Gibraltar retains a level of local control of their future (guaranteed), I think a majority would be happy with it. 

• Like 1

Gibraltar has a Thai consulate on the main shopping road – a few mins over the border from La Linea.

Very easy to get a visa there from a very nice guy called Mark, I’ve had several from there. He has an office in his own house downstairs. Take in docs, walk out 5 mins later all stamped.

Was much easier when I was flying into Gib’ and over the border to Spain than going from Richmond to West Ken' & having to return 2 days later for the passport.

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

We were also conquered at various times by the Romans, Angles, Saxons and Jutes but the last successful one were the Normans (not the French).= about 1,056 years ago.

Normans, did they not come from France (so forefathers of the French conquered you) actually now to think of it the English and French share common ancestors (some of them anyway) Not sure why some English always look down on the French. 

And Yes i knew about the romans, the saxons came in the void they left and they in turn got conquered by the Vikings and later Normans. Anyway the English have been invaded and occupied many times. If you look over the course of history you will see the same for many other countries. My country not so much as it was mostly water in that time.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

So England was conquered often in the past... up until the point where they had enough new immigrant blood to make a difference ????

Not really. Many of the earlier tribes went back to their own countries. The Normans stayed and integrated the longest and no long after conquered most of Normandy. Later they fought with the Germans against the French and the Spanish. They fought with  the Dutch against the Germans who were from Prussia as Germany didn't really exist.

European and British history is a fascinating subject. I must read up on it again as I have forgotten lots of it.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Normans, did they not come from France (so forefathers of the French conquered you) actually now to think of it the English and French share common ancestors (some of them anyway) Not sure why some English always look down on the French. 

And Yes i knew about the romans, the saxons came in the void they left and they in turn got conquered by the Vikings and later Normans. Anyway the English have been invaded and occupied many times. If you look over the course of history you will see the same for many other countries. My country not so much as it was mostly water in that time.

I am a little confused by

quote "Normans, did they not come from France (so forefathers of the French conquered you) actually now to think of it the English and French share common ancestors (some of them anyway)

If the Normans did not come from France (and Normandy is a part of France now) where did they come from?

Just now, billd766 said:

I am a little confused by

quote "Normans, did they not come from France (so forefathers of the French conquered you) actually now to think of it the English and French share common ancestors (some of them anyway)

If the Normans did not come from France (and Normandy is a part of France now) where did they come from?

My English was bad. What i meant to say that the normans came from France. They conquered part of the UK so in a way Some of the French and people of the UK have the same roots. Why is it then that the English in general always make bad remarks about the French (not all of them but you see it a lot on the forum)