Bewildered and angry, Northern Ireland unionists fret over place in UK

webfact

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

One day the money will stop, lets see just how willing the south is to pay the fees.

As someone born in the South (don't live in Ireland any more), I am inclined to agree with you. Although I was baptised a Catholic, I have not been inside a church in years but I do have an opinion on the Northern Ireland issue, which is that the English have really messed around the Unionists this time. Many, possibly most of the Unionist community in Northern Ireland would have been remainers. But more importantly, Unionists see that the English have ditched Northern Ireland - so much for reclaiming control and sovereignity of the UK! The Unionists are right to be <deleted> off. This is all very unsettling - I have family living in Ireland and having lived through the horror of the troubles, I really do not want them to go through that all over again.

As to your point, for a long time I have been saying that if you asked the average Southerner whether he or she was in favour of an united Ireland, they might immediately react by saying "Yes." But if you tell them that it will cost them an extra 10% in tax, many would change that answer. The fact is that the North has moved along a certain trajectory while the South has moved on a different one. The North tends to be more conservative (both sides of the community) whereas the South is more open and liberal. For instance, abortion is still banned in Northern Ireland and same sex marriage is not accepted whereas the South has exbraced both in their laws. While both entities support a remain position, the South is something like 90% remain whereas the North is only 60% remain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rott said:

The self-righteous and sanctimonious outpourings of the truly ignorant. 

No, the considered view of someone who spent quite a lot of time, at various intervals, in Northern Ireland. I watched both sides "in action", over 15 years or so, and therefore think that I have grounds to form an opinion. The Protestant/Unionist community was largely driven by bigotry, and tolerated some vicious savage murdering terrorists who were spawned by that bigotry. The Catholic/ Nationalist community were driven by an equal hatred, and sheltered some equally savage, murdering if more sophisticated and better funded terrorists. As well as the terrorists, there were plenty on both sides always ready to pick a fight, and many more who were always happy to hold their coats for them. There were those on both sides who could have stopped the killing, but they were always too many ready to excuse the killing instead.

A plague on both their houses.

Edited by herfiehandbag