What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

I found this very involving and satisfying to watch. It probably helped a little that I've been to Lima Peru and surfer towns south of there, lived in a Califorina surfer's town for some years, and like to watch Spanish language content though. But all in all, an incredible inspiring true life sports and life story. 

Watch on youtube or the "other" places:

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

Edson Arantes----Pele'

There is a Netflix Doco -148 Minutes -RARGB--just released on Pele', Who is now 80  .

Language: English | Portuguese

Edson Arantes do Nascimento - Pelé

I met him once in Brazil, late 90’s, he came to the town where I was living to visit a friend ( Elzo Coelho , who played in the 86 World Cup ).

Word spread that he was in town and the hordes descended on Elzo’s small football training camp where a barbecue was planned.

I was invited ( friend of a friend of a friend ) and got to compliment and shake his hand before he was whisked away by his security and the barbecue was a bit of a non event ????

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

I'm really into Queen of the South at the moment. It's on Netflix. It's much more action and thrill than the trailer shows. Give it a try. Good acting too. It's a lot like those Narcos series as well as Breaking Bad in a way but with a female.

I agree, Mrs BM and I enjoy watching this, she keeps asking me when the next series is coming, the latest gossip is "some time in June".

Fortunately we won't have to wait that long for the new season of Sons of Anarchy spin-off "Mayans MC", which is due on the 16th of March, you'll probably like that if you like QotS.

• Like 2

Here's one that we don't have to wait for, complete first season available from the pirates.

Tell Me Your Secrets follows "a trio of characters, each with a mysterious and troubling past: Emma (formerly known as Karen Miller) is a woman who once looked into the eyes of a dangerous killer, John is a former serial predator desperate to find redemption, and Mary is a grieving mother obsessed with finding her missing daughter. As each of them is pushed to the edge, the truth about their pasts and motives grows ever murkier, blurring the lines between victim and perpetrator."

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, sanuk711 said:

If your into Quiz shows & Gorden Ramsay--Then BBC -1 Put a new one out last night "Bank Balance" 

I haven't watched.....(possibly  wont)

Oh my ...

The wife was a big fan of Noel Edmonds - Deal No Deal - So I thought as Gordon was presenting a quiz show would be ideal ...

What a load of old crock, an hour too .. ff 

Thanks for the suggestion tho’ 

4 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

.....speaking of new seasons starting next month, the second season of Kevin Bacon's Boston based cop show City on a Hill commences on the 28th. The first season received "generally favorable reviews" according to Metacritic, which is reflected in its IMDb score of 7.5.

"The series is set in Boston in the early 1990s when the city was rife with violent criminals, emboldened by local law enforcement agencies in which corruption, tribalism, and "taking it to the street" were the norm—until it all suddenly changed. This is a fictional account of what was called the "Boston Miracle". The change agent is District Attorney Decourcy Ward (Aldis Hodge), who comes from Brooklyn and forms an unlikely alliance with Jackie Rohr (Kevin Bacon), a corrupt yet venerated FBI veteran who is deeply invested in maintaining the status quo. Together they take on a family of armored car robbers from Charlestown (Jonathan Tucker, Mark O'Brien, and Jimmy Cummings) in a case that grows to encompass Boston's citywide criminal justice system."

is this where his daughter was raped?

I was trying to think of the title a few days ago.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

is this where his daughter was raped?

I was trying to think of the title a few days ago.

If you include being pimped out and drugged up to beyond the point where you have the capacity to consent or not as rape (and why wouldn't you), then yes.  

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Edson Arantes do Nascimento - Pelé

I met him once in Brazil, late 90’s, he came to the town where I was living to visit a friend ( Elzo Coelho , who played in the 86 World Cup ).

Word spread that he was in town and the hordes descended on Elzo’s small football training camp where a barbecue was planned.

I was invited ( friend of a friend of a friend ) and got to compliment and shake his hand before he was whisked away by his security and the barbecue was a bit of a non event ????

I often met and drank with one of my footballing idols, Kerry Dixon. I lived just around the corner from his pub in Dunstable for a few years. I have to admit though that you've raised the bar.........

infinity.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

If you include being pimped out and drugged up to beyond the point where you have the capacity to consent or not as rape (and why wouldn't you), then yes.  

Ok ok - I will have to watch it again - it was a few years ago, I remember it being pretty intense. 
 Thanks for the suggestion - I like Kevin Bacon in TV shows, did you catch the following a few years back.

Is Chris Lilley, the great Australian comedic talent, over?

I've watched almost everything Chris Lilley has made so it goes without saying that I'm a fan. 

So I saw a recent mention of his work, and wondered, why hasn't he done anything new lately? (He's only in his mid 40s.)

So I looked into it and indeed he really doesn't have any projects and it's not known if he will be having any future projects either.

Why? Well if you hadn't heard there was a lot of controversy about some of his characters being played in black or brown face. Without inviting a political debate, push came to shove from the international BLM thing, and most of his existing series were cut from Netflix globally. 

Of course I don't know the full story on why he stopped creating but surely that's a big part of it. Personally I don't consider him to be a racist or his comedy to promote racism but I can understand how his particular style of comedy may not be possible to do anymore. I think that would be a big loss if he's really over being as young as he still is. Imagine if Woody Allen (another controversial one) had been forced to stop in his mid 40s.

Anyway, in reference to this thread, if you don't already know his work (love it or hate it if you do), you might want to have a look at his large library of existing work. 

For example: 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, recom273 said:

Ok ok - I will have to watch it again - it was a few years ago, I remember it being pretty intense. 
 Thanks for the suggestion - I like Kevin Bacon in TV shows, did you catch the following a few years back.

It's a very good show, almost up there with the excellent Bosch imho. Oh and there's a tenuous link between those two shows - the talented Titus Welliver aka Bosch starred in the film The Town which of course like City on a Hill is about a ruthless gang of armed robbers in Boston.

No. I've not seen The Following yet, it's on my very long waiting list as is the highly rated Yellowstone starring "the other Kevin". I agree on Bacon, good things can happen when film stars hit the small screen, but it's not always the case.

• Like 1

The funniest show ever to come out of NZ, 7 periods with Mr Gormsby, all 14 on YT. Soft, lefty hopeless teachers v politically incorrect Gormsby, could not be made to day as it would 'offend' too many, including Maori, those teachers are depicted as only getting their jobs due to ethnicity, surely not!

• Like 1

Breakers

Haven't seen or heard of this one, but it's appearing at the usual places today.

Summary: Jack is reliving the same day over and over again so he seeks help from a therapist, but when Jack discovers a murder and finds himself pursued by gangsters and a psychopath he must find a way to stop the murder or wind up stuck forever.

• Thanks 2

On 2/28/2021 at 8:15 AM, Will27 said:

Breakers

Haven't seen or heard of this one, but it's appearing at the usual places today.

Summary: Jack is reliving the same day over and over again so he seeks help from a therapist, but when Jack discovers a murder and finds himself pursued by gangsters and a psychopath he must find a way to stop the murder or wind up stuck forever.

How does this get a 8.0 score on IMDB without any reviews? Looks interesting though.

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How does this get a 8.0 score on IMDB without any reviews? Looks interesting though.

It was made in 2018, when it picked up a handful of minor nominations and awards, 22 votes on IMDb.

Sometimes people with an agenda make their minds up when a show is in planning or production then vote accordingly, sometimes without even watching the show.

One that springs to mind is Batwoman, where lesbian activists objected to a straight actress playing a lesbian role so they bombarded the tv sites with negative reviews and low scores. It is still only at 3.4 whereas Arrow stands at 7.5 and The Flash at 7.7, Legends of Tomorrow at 6.8. These are all shows from DC's Arrowverse, where even the animated "Vixen" scores 7.1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1