What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

6 minutes ago, bojo said:

I saw her on BBC Newsnight a couple of weeks ago, she really tells it like it is..............tried to post the link, but it was on twitter and I couldn't find the source URLon the BBC..........................anyways, I found her really interesting......................

She has a nice clear voice that's easy on the ear and explains things without being too technical.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 2:08 PM, xylophone said:

I have just watched this and thought it was very good, so can highly recommend it to anyone else on the forum.

Features some good British detective work (although I know it's only a TV series) and some very good acting, especially from Tom Courtenay.

Episodes 1 and 2 were released some time ago but haven't seen episode 3 anywhere.

We're back. So is the light-hearted crime drama 'The Mallorca Files' with a short (just the six episodes) season 2. All episodes available.

"The Mallorca Files is a British police procedural television drama series set on the Spanish island of Mallorca, starring Elen Rhys and Julian Looman as a pair of detectives."

A modest 6.5 on IMDb

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 1:20 AM, bobandyson said:

Room 2806: The Accusation.

Netflix. 4 episodes.

I'm watching this again because I couldn't remember the ending. ????

Couldn't find a version that had English subs, and a lot of the dialog is in French.

A few weeks ago Will put us onto the very good British true crime series "The Moment of Proof". This new show from across the pond looks quite similar, eight episodes have been broadcast to date.

One Deadly Mistake.

"Police work tirelessly against the clock to solve complex cases, until they discover an unlikely piece of evidence that exposes the identity of the killer."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

A few weeks ago Will put us onto the very good British true crime series "The Moment of Proof". This new show from across the pond looks quite similar, eight episodes have been broadcast to date.

One Deadly Mistake.

"Police work tirelessly against the clock to solve complex cases, until they discover an unlikely piece of evidence that exposes the identity of the killer."

Yep

I enjoyed this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

One Deadly Mistake.

I enjoyed this one as well.

As suggested by sanuk711, I did watch the movie "Crisis" and thought it good to very good.

A few nights previously I watched the movie "Land" with Robin Wright in it and I enjoyed it very much indeed, and it did put me in mind of the other movie of similar ill which I liked called, "Into the Wild". 

Suffice it to say that I like these kind of movies where one tests oneself against the elements, and I suppose I have done similar in my time, not only was I being a tear-away in my youth and making things like large pipe bombs, but in going to Libya just after the revolution (which was a dangerous place to be then) and working in the Sahara desert, then off to Nigeria just after the Biafran war where things were still very shaky, and working offshore, onshore and also taking a meander into the jungle, just for fun!

Taking off into the Sahara this again in 1975, and thereafter into Norway and offshore in the extremely cold and bitter North Sea.

This takes me onto a series I have just finished on iPlayer, called "SAS Rogue Warriors" which I can highly recommend, as it contains some original footage of these extremely brave men and there is a link or two which I will explain now....... 

In episode two of the SAS it mentioned the role of the LRDG (Long Range Desert Group) which was a group of soldiers operating behind enemy lines in the Sahara desert, and one shot in particular showed one of the trucks (lorries) parked in the desert at night with a fire blazing alongside of it and soldiers sitting round it, and immediately I was transported back to 1975 when I and a group of guys found such a thing.

Someone had found the original maps when the area was being explored with regards to oilfields, and just north of our oilfield, Nafoora, there was an area which was forbidden because it was the site of some activity/action in the Second World War. 

Forbidden or not, a group of us took off into Land Rovers to look for this, and actually found it some miles north, and you wouldn't believe what we found.........the remains of a couple of lorries and jeeps and other wrecks which we couldn't identify, however one lorry in particular was still standing and you could see it had strafe marks in its metal sides, where some fairly large shells/bullets had penetrated.

The rest of it was fairly intact although very dilapidated, and nearby we found the remains of a campfire (after digging down a little) and in the area were old tins which once contained food I would suppose, the lids of which had been cut open with knives in order to get to the contents.

It was then that we stood there looking at this, imagining the sight, and this very sight came back to me last night in the iPlayer series. Sent a shiver down my spine.

In the last episode, part of it was about the troops from North Africa travelling over to Sicily for the invasion, and my dad was with Montgomery in the Eighth Army and was part of that. In particular there was a grim mention of the fact that as the soldiers neared Sicily in their landing craft, they could hear the cries of drowning soldiers, who had been travelling in gliders, which were ditched before the predetermined time, and had landed in the sea, and of course the soldiers didn't stand a chance.

Now this was the only thing he ever mentioned about the war, and he described the scene as above and didn't have a good word to say about the American pilots who had ditched the gliders early, because of flak from the shore and poor weather conditions.

As you can imagine, I've had a few good evenings watching the movies, with some poignant memories returning.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

The Furnace (2020)

The Furnace is a movie starring David Wenham, Jay Ryan, and Mahesh Jadu. To escape the Australian outback, a young Afghan cameleer falls in with a mysterious bushman on the run with stolen Crown gold.

I thoroughly enjoyed this but then I also enjoy vegemite.

A bit of history for those who dont already know.  During the early days in the Australian outback Afghans and Sikhs transported goods from A to B using camel caravans.  Their journeys across the country brought them into contact with native aboriginals who often helped and befriended the cameleers.  To this day there can be found aboriginals with Muslim or Sikh names.........there are also a lot of wild camels.

I found it on 123movies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The second season of "For All Mankind" started a few weeks ago. I'll wait until I have all 8 episodes, and then binge. Available from usual sources.

"In an alternative version of 1969, the Soviet Union beats the United States to the Moon, and the space race continues on for decades with still grander challenges and goals."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Westside.

Someone recommended this NZ series a little while ago.

I enjoyed season 1.

All six series are at the usual places.

Thanks Will. On checking it out I saw that it has a predecessor, Outrageous Fortune, all six seasons in one d/l at TPB but I suspect you already know that? Here's a trailer for anyone who doesn't. At first glance it looks like Animal Kingdom with some comedy thrown in.

8 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Thanks Will. On checking it out I saw that it has a predecessor, Outrageous Fortune, all six seasons in one d/l at TPB but I suspect you already know that? Here's a trailer for anyone who doesn't. At first glance it looks like Animal Kingdom with some comedy thrown in.

Thank mate.

I didn't know.

I'll have a gander.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Having said that, Breaking Bad, Sopranos and The Wire are 3 of my all times favourites

Braking bad was really good-- but it went on for 5 years, many many episodes.  Like making 5 movies--You can do so much with a story when you have that long, kill off people put in new characters with new story lines ...etc.  The wire--well it was true, proving the fact Vs fiction maxim, & another 5 year 60 episodes.

Maybe I shouldn't try to compare what they put in 6 episodes of River. against these marathon ones. I never took to Sopranos will27--although all my friends certainly raved about it.

I guess with River, I really liked the Psychological twists to it. First one just 10 minuets into it.. & I cant even rave about it without it spoiling it for someone.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

Lost Boy: The Killing of James Bulger

Parts 1 and 2 on Lime.

Summary: Time has done nothing to soften the horror of James Bulger’s murder. Almost three decades on from the crime that shook both the public consciousness and the British legal system to their cores, it remains gut-wrenchingly awful to revisit. The physical details of the two-year-old’s death are still unbearably grim; listening to his mother Denise Fergus recount the moment she briefly lost sight of her son in a shopping centre is still heartbreaking; and it’s still bone-chilling to hear audio of police interviews with James’s 10-year-old killers recounting the atrocity in their timid, childish voices.

Edited by Will27
  • Thanks 1