What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

24 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I wonder where he kept recharging his phone for free every day........

Hmm, didn't think of that, & for someone who lived how he did for four years, he was remarkably clean, & healthy looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, faraday said:

Hmm, didn't think of that, & for someone who lived how he did for four years, he was remarkably clean, & healthy looking.

Yer he didn't seem outgoing enough to be (approaching people) begging for money, & he did seem just a little bit chubby.....

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, TooBigToFit said:

Here's one in the torrent world and on youtube. Beautiful on a flat screen. Murphy's War.

Murphy's War (1971) – Mike's Take On the Movies ………. Rediscovering Cinema's  Past

I also want to watch The Man Who Would Be King again.

The Man Who would be King I only watched last week for the first time and enjoyed it.

I went to watch Murphy's Law on Youtube but somehow it jumped to the next movie.  Fortunately it landed on a little gem called Missing In America starring one of my favourites, Danny Glover.  I always remember him in The Bounty Hunters and believe he deserved a lot more credit as an actor than he received.

"A haunted Vietnam veteran (DANNY GLOVER), living in exile in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, is faced with a life-changing decision after he is visited by a former platoon member (DAVID STRATHAIRN) and his young Amerasian daughter."

Now back to Murphy's Law.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

The “Best Crime Reads” An American book service last month, put out what they consider were the best Crime TV programs for 2020. Some fictional—some not.

I personally feel they have missed out on just about most of the best, your notice there isn’t anything at all from the UK- TV stations, (something that isn’t that unusual in American publications)  but I will throw the list in there-- some you would have seen— some maybe you missed, some you may wished you missed.

The comments on the shows -- are theirs.

They are not rated in order—.

I May Destroy You, Season 1 (HBO) -- In the semi-autobiographical series that she wrote Michaela Coel (whom you might remember from Netflix’s Chewing Gum) plays a writer named Arabella, who attempts to discover the identity of the man who roofied and raped her one night at a bar.

I’ll Be Gone in the Dark (HBO)--- This six-part docuseries, narrated by Amy Ryan, about the late true crime writer Michelle McNamara’s comprehensive research into the real identity of the serial murderer known as the Golden State Killer.

The Good Lord Bird (Showtime)-- based on the 2013 National Book Award-winning novel by James McBride and which Ethan Hawke co-created and co-wrote. It tells the story of Henry “Onion” Shackleford, a young enslaved Black man, who joins the band of rebels led by white Civil War-era abolitionist John Brown (played by Hawke),

The Flight Attendant, Season 1 (HBO Max)-- about a hard-partying flight attendant who wakes up in a swanky Bangkok hotel room next to a dead man that she definitely did not kill, and who attempts to clear her own name after all signs point to her guilt.

McMillions (HBO)-- The true account of the scam that made several people the millionaire winners of that McDonald’s Monopoly scratch off game. It’s also the tale of the FBI investigation that attempted to put all the pieces together.

Better Call Saul, Season 5 (AMC)-- Even though it was presented as a prequel to Breaking Bad, It is not dependent on its predecessor for merit. It is the tale of Jimmy McGill, a lawyer tying to distance himself from his former-con-artist ways, taking place four years before Saul meets Walter White, Season 5 was  the penultimate season.

The Plot Against America (HBO)-- Based on the novel by Philip Roth, this six-episode limited series takes place in an alternate universe in which FDR was defeated in the presidential race by Nazi sympathizer Charles Lindbergh, who brings the United States to the brink of fascism.

The Vow, Season 1 (HBO)-- This chilling true crime docuseries is a close look at the sinister sex cult/”marketing firm” NXIVM, run by predatory madman Keith Raniere with help from an inner-circle of hench-women. This series is very hard to sit through, mostly because the cult dynamics are so incredibly bizarre, horrifying, and dehumanizing, and its policies and acts are told by people who were its victims.

The Bureau, Season 5 (Sundance)-- If you’re not watching the French espionage series The Bureau, you should fix this immediately. “Malotru”  is an undercover operative called back to the Paris office after six years on a job in Syria. He has what the French call le syndrome du clandestin (post-mission disorder), which makes it hard to adjust to his new life as a handler, a father, and, hardest of all, his regular self (as opposed to his long-maintained alias). Season 5 begins when covert information is leaked in the Ukrainian press, but if you’re starting over, I suggest beginning at Season 1, in which an operative goes missing in Algeria and Mathieu, stuck at a desk, has to figure out how to investigate.

Mystery Road, Season 2 (Acorn TV)-- A neo-Western police-procedural set in the Australian outback, was a pleasant surprise: a  whodunit, with crisp performances, and, sun-drenched landscapes that would have made John Ford call VistaVision and ask for his money back. This setting is strangely serene. But that doesn’t mean the show isn’t hardcore! In fact, season 2 begins with a decapitated body washing up in some mangroves.

Stumptown, Season 1 (ABC)—An adaptation of Matthew Southworth’s comic book series of the same name. Our protagonist Dex Perios is a tough-as-nails, recovering-alcoholic ex-marine who winds up becoming a Private Investigator in foggy Portland. Stumptown was slated for a second season, but ABC later reversed its call after production delays caused by COVID-19 meant it would be released too late. Still, this is a decision that, frankly, stumps me.

Dare Me, Season 1 (USA)-- Megan Abbot is the showrunner of this melodramatic, noir-soaked television adaptation of her own novel, about murder, manipulation, and mayhem on a high school cheerleading squad under the wing of a mysterious new coach.

Teenage Bounty Hunters, Season 1 (Netflix)-- The story of wealthy 16-year-old twin sisters Blair and Sterling who wind up apprenticing for a gruff bounty hunter. Set in the Atlanta suburbs, with some very exciting twists along the way, the show has ten episodes.

Haha .. I managed to get through Dare Me the other day, it took me months to get through. it’s not that it’s bad, just a bit strange topic - the story dragged on and on - like a dull book that you don’t want to give up on. Glad I finished it because the last 2 or 3 episodes are where the story happens. 

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Where is the damn thing?

Can't find it.

I am not sure there is any more from season 1...when you click on the episode guide they just seem to show the 2 for season 01

IMDB have given it a 9.4 with hardly any details about it

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/nf6xgp/the-detectives-fighting-organised-crime/

But what about Grace, quite enjoyed the first one, then nofink........

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I am not sure there is any more from season 1...when you click on the episode guide they just seem to show the 2 for season 01

IMDB have given it a 9.4 with hardly any details about it

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/nf6xgp/the-detectives-fighting-organised-crime/

But what about Grace, quite enjoyed the first one, then nofink........

Oops! Thought you were talking Season 2, of which there are 3 episodes so far.

Edited by giddyup

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

Now I'm not sure whether this can be found on any of the usual places, but I mention it because it was a documentary which threw a new light for me on the Israeli/Palestinian problem.

I've always sort of sided with the Israelis, because everything we hear about the Palestinians in the news is predominantly bad, however this doco made me think again about the whole situation.

Most enlightening and the name of it is, "The Occupation of the American Mind", and I saw it on Al Jazeera last night, so it could be available elsewhere.

Well worth a watch.

Just found it on Youtube for anyone interested.......and you should be!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, faraday said:

The Detectives: Fighting Organised Crime s01e03

Where is the damn thing?

Can't find it.

????

This is supposed to be a series of 5 .. I don’t think there are any more scheduled for this month.

18 minutes ago, recom273 said:

This is supposed to be a series of 5 .. I don’t think there are any more scheduled for this month.

Your right recom273....... every Tuesday--I don't know if the royal funeral has thrown the dates out or not.

How many episodes are there?

There are five episodes. Each will air on BBC Two weekly on Tuesdays at 9pm.

In fact, after an episode airs, it will be available to stream on BBC iPlayer.

https://www.entertainmentdaily.co.uk/tv/the-detectives-fighting-organised-crime-on-bbc-two-real-life-line-of-duty/

9 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Too Close

New 3 part series just started.

Lime.

Summary: A forensic psychiatrist has to assess a woman accused of a heinous crime, who claims she can't remember a thing.

Cheers Will, you post up great content. 

Emily Watson is in it, who is very versatile in her roles.

Btw, I'm really enjoying "Snabba Cash"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Too Close

New 3 part series just started.

Lime.

Summary: A forensic psychiatrist has to assess a woman accused of a heinous crime, who claims she can't remember a thing.

Why don't I get any hits for this on Lime? I get Too close to home and Too close for comfort, but not Too Close.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Why don't I get any hits for this on Lime? I get Too close to home and Too close for comfort, but not Too Close.

Never mind, found it on Torrent Galaxy.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Glad to see you got it.

On Lime, I've found if you enter the name and then press the added icon, it usually appears on top of the list.

That's obviously for new stuff.

• Like 1