Bangkok imposes lockdown restrictions to contain COVID-19

Jonathan Fairfield

It was only a matter if time. Most people will be returning to BKK from the provinces on Sunday and God knows what they will bring back or what they spread outward. Took a walk around Sathon this evening 10km worth and it was eerily quite.  The Sathon central mall was nearly empty.  Scary to see it this way.

The Governor of Bangkok has just signed the order to close 25 high risk activities and establishments. But please note, this is NOT a lockdown as some people are saying as there is no curfew and we still have freedom of movement. It’s also not a full shutdown. That might come later. 

The Bangkok Governor is closing places like pubs, bars and entertainment venues from Saturday. You can eat in restaurants but you cannot drink alcohol. No ban on sale of alcohol yet in supermarkets etc. All schools are closed until 17 January. Though that’s not clear if he means just BMA schools. 

These places in #Bangkok can open but with strict hygiene rules: restaurants, department stores, markets, hairdressers (but no queues), golf courses, swimming pools, parks, sports fields, museums, libraries, cinemas, zoos, convention center, and beauty salons. 

UPDATE: The guys at @ThaiEnquirer have just posted a translation of the list of what is closed and open in #Bangkok tomorrow. You can see here: https://www.thaienquirer.com/22198/bangkok-introduces-new-measures-to-combat-covid

• Like 2

I did not see Bars, or Restaurants on the list, or will that be on the way maybe.

We already have a Bar shutdown here in Hua Hin until 6th. January, But more unnerving is a strong rumour yesterday it may be extended to 30 days......:sad:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I was doing a pickled egg or pickled onion per pint when I lived in Bangkok but never saw any Scotch eggs? Where can these culinary delicacies be found?

Get me some sausage meat, breadcrumbs and a boiled egg and I;ll show you...

I am afraid that the above news report is is very incomplete the correct announcement, includes fitness centres and other venues which are to be closed due to the risk of spreading the disease.They include 1) entertainment places, pubs, and bars; 2) water parks and amusement parks; 3) children’s playgrounds and places where children play at markets and floating markets; 4) snooker and billiard parlors; 5) gaming centers; 6) game and internet shops; 7) cockfighting rings and cockfighting training rings;  nurseries and elderly care centers (except those which offer overnight stays); 9) boxing stadiums; 10) martial arts schools (gyms); 11) horse racing tracks; 12) establishments providing shower; 13) massage parlors; 14) competitive-sports fields; 15) banquet halls and similar places; 16) bull-fighting rings and fighting-fish rings or similar places; 17) amulet markets and centers; 18) pre-school nurseries; 19)  tattoo and piercing parlors; 20) fitness centers; 21) health and wellness establishments, spa shops, and traditional Thai massage and foot massage parlors; 22) boxing gyms; 23) bowling, skate, and rollerblade venues or other similar services; 24) ballroom dance halls; and 25) all buildings at schools, tutorial schools, and educational institutions. (Source PRD)

11 hours ago, Susco said:

I don't see any mention in the OP that bars that don't have a food license need to close in Bangkok

Bars in Bangkok that didn't sell food were told to close earlier last week. I was in Nana last Thursday evening and go-gos in the Plaza were all closed. I imagine Cowboy was the same. Most of the bars along soi 4 were still open, but very quiet.

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

but Prayut just said that was no need to lock down.... liar liar burn on fire

Thai PM assures no national lockdown despite a surge in COVID-19 cases

When I read that  yesterday I thought  "There's another lockdown on the way"

But they've left shopping malls open? No transmission in them then?.????

It's will get a lot worse next week all over the world, especially in the west after new year. I know many people partied like crazy????

Monday open will be another easy money day for me????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

here we go for another round, that's a start, wait until next week when the travelers return home and more cases will be showing up and more restrictions will be reinstated

Well that's what I would expect . It's a very serious situation. There's no need to sarcasm.          

• Sad 3

55 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Pretty good, they give themselves a chance to control the outbreak within a couple of months. But other provinces must implement quarantine measures fo people returning from inter province travel.

Things change very rapidly .you can't see the Virus visionary , only the results it leaves behind. 

Since they seem to be accomplishing next to nothing, I suggest all government offices lock down nationwide. Oh. Forgot. That would mean the government employees would not have full salary and benefits. What was I thinking? 

The policies are so scatter shot. The list of businesses is ridiculous. Why lock down massage, and martial arts but not restaurants, pubs and malls? The lack of science applied is mind boggling. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

National lockdown means that the whole country is locked down. This is only Bangkok. The breaking of that promise will come, but you might have to wait another couple of weeks when things get totally out of control all over the country.

the people out of town will stay out of town since there is no school

either way, they will lose wages anyhow

For the poor people, it will work well for them. They buy food from the street vendor and go  home to eat in front of the TV.. I think that will work well for them. it is going a problem for the farangs who loves sipping on a beer watching soccer games at the bars, or the rich Thais  or well to do farangs who love to show up at pub or fancy restaurant.  those days are over,

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

but Prayut just said that was no need to lock down.... liar liar burn on fire

Thai PM assures no national lockdown despite a surge in COVID-19 cases

Bangkok lockdown. The situations have changed dramatically since then and there's need for a change and the PM has taken it. Very good.

Have a look at UK lockdown.com 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, findlay13 said:

When I read that  yesterday I thought  "There's another lockdown on the way"

But they've left shopping malls open? No transmission in them then?.????

One must understand the Thai mentality.. they will always tell you that things are good and under control even though the situation is bad.

given the action of the government, they are worry that the situation is going out of control. The lockdown is eminent until the vaccines is available and distributed.

you are looking at a semi lockdown for a good 6 month or 9 month.