Australia changes National Anthem wording to reflect Indigenous history

rooster59

Australia changes National Anthem wording to reflect Indigenous history

By Swati Pandey

aus.JPG

Australia amended its national anthem to remove reference to the country being "young and free" amid calls to recognize that its Indigenous people are the oldest continued civilization in the world. Megan Revell reports.

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia amended its national anthem to remove reference to the country being "young and free" amid calls to recognise that its Indigenous people are the oldest continued civilization in the world.

The change to "for we are one and free" took effect on Friday.

"We live in a timeless land of ancient First Nations peoples, and we draw together the stories of more than 300 national ancestries and language groups," Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters in Canberra.

"And our anthem should reflect that. The changes we have made and we have announced today, I think, achieve that goal."

Australia has struggled for decades to reconcile with Aborigines, who arrived on the continent some 50,000 years before British colonists.

Each year Australians have a national holiday on Jan. 26, marking the date the “First Fleet” sailed into Sydney Harbour in 1788, carrying mainly convicts and troops from Britain. Some indigenous people refer to Australia Day as “Invasion Day”.

There is now a renewed focus on Indigenous empowerment amid the Black Lives Matter movement.

The idea to change the wording was floated in 2020 by New South Wales premier Gladys Berejiklian who had said the current wording ignored Australia’s "proud First Nations culture".

The proposal was welcomed by several lawmakers, including federal minister for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt as well as firebrand rightwing One Nation party leader Pauline Hanson.

When asked if he would want to be the first person to sing the new national anthem, Morisson said: "I think singing by prime ministers is the same as public exercise by prime ministers -- it is best done in private."

(Reporting by Swati Pandey; Editing by Kim Coghill)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-01

• Haha 1

It might help with the report if they showed the "before" and "after" changes.

I really cannot be bothered to search  the changes, or in modern day speak "google it"!

It would appear to me, without, obviously,  researching the changes, to be more WOK change for WOK change sake!

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

13 hours ago, carlyai said:

It says it in the article. Changed from 'young and free' to "one and free". Small change but significant in Australian eyes.

In what way is Australia 'one'?  This new change is meaningles woke gesture politics. At the time of writing the anthem Australia was a 'young' country in the context of how countries were judged.. Some people might think 'backwards' would be more honest than "young'. The condition of the Aboriginals might be  a tragedy but this silly semantic change will not change that tragedy. Interestingly in over 50 years I have never met an Australian who had any sympathy for Aborigines.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bontang said:

P.O.M     Prisoner of her Magesty,  So the Real POM's are the people who arrived in the Banana Boats back in 1788,

And now Class them selves As Australians, and call The British POM's,  This Group of Aussies, Like the Pot calling the Pan Black Ass, Or they dont know their History, Awaiting a smart ass comment, 

POMS. Potato faces. Used now as an insult by provincial and small minded Australians no different from any other petty racists anywhere in the world.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Nout said:

POMS. Potato faces. Used now as an insult by provincial and small minded Australians no different from any other petty racists anywhere in the world.

I've never heard anyone anywhere being called a "potato face". As for the pom "insult", perhaps it's now because the British are still stuck in that wasteland called Britain and the Australians are now "free". (They aren't of course, but if it triggers you, then job done ????).

As for the whole indigenous thing... I can't see the point. My kids were shocked at my position on this until I explained it to them. If I were an aboriginal and the only betterment for my people was this name change and some sort of "acknowledgement" of my people being around before the poms turned up before sporting events etc - I'd be furious. they need real help and real change - not platitudes. Perhaps it will lead to more for them in the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, bontang said:

P.O.M     Prisoner of her Magesty,  So the Real POM's are the people who arrived in the Banana Boats back in 1788,

And now Class them selves As Australians, and call The British POM's,  This Group of Aussies, Like the Pot calling the Pan Black Ass, Or they dont know their History, Awaiting a smart ass comment, 

Get used to it. POMs losing at cricket against the mighty Aus sides.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nout said:

I'm English, lived in the bush and visited all capitals and States across Australia  during different periods over sixty years. Never heard the expression ' potato face'

Getting back on topic, well overdue for the first peoples to be recognised in the Oz Constitution

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Pure blood Aboriginal are black, mixed blood, no.

I am confused. A white Australian Aborigine?  Not unless there has been cross breeding in which case they are not Aboriginal. The clue is in the name. Aboriginal Australians are not white. Though I am happy to be educated.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Olmate said:

What’s a provincial Ozzie I wonder?

Unsophisticated, not well educated, not travelled, limited life experience, uncultured, narrow minded..not much different from provincial people from most countries.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ncc1701d said:

I've never heard anyone anywhere being called a "potato face". As for the pom "insult", perhaps it's now because the British are still stuck in that wasteland called Britain and the Australians are now "free". (They aren't of course, but if it triggers you, then job done ????).

As for the whole indigenous thing... I can't see the point. My kids were shocked at my position on this until I explained it to them. If I were an aboriginal and the only betterment for my people was this name change and some sort of "acknowledgement" of my people being around before the poms turned up before sporting events etc - I'd be furious. they need real help and real change - not platitudes. Perhaps it will lead to more for them in the future.

No the term Potato face is never used but was thought to be the origin of the term POM used to describe the pale, pasty, whey faced passengers disembarking after a long journey. Pom is/ was also slang for potato.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Nout said:

Unsophisticated, not well educated, not travelled, limited life experience, uncultured, narrow minded..not much different from provincial people from most countries.

Given your previous confused reply you seem to me rather provincial yourself !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nout said:

No the term Potato face is never used but was thought to be the origin of the term POM used to describe the pale, pasty, whey faced passengers disembarking after a long journey. Pom is/ was also slang for potato. Yet others attribute the term to Pomegranate due to the shiny red cheeks of Brits in the Australian heat. One thing for sure: The origin of the term POM is not some conventional TLA. The etymology of words is rarely that convenient.

Everywhere in the world, symbolism is important in national life, culture & politics.

The difficulty arises when people substitute symbolism for practical action. Which also happens everywhere in the world.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Given your previous confused reply you seem to me rather provincial yourself !

Confusion is not related to provincalism. Smug complacency is more a feature of small mindedness as is lack of imagination. You seem to be  grasping to interpret meaning just for the sake of insulting me. I have simply no idea why or what has triggered you. Please explain your animus.

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

Everywhere in the world, symbolism is important in national life, culture & politics.

The difficulty arises when people substitute symbolism for practical action. Which also happens everywhere in the world.

But the trend has grown recently thus the growth of virtue signaling and gesture politics.

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

Original Australian  Aboriginals  Are Black .Any other that call themselves Aboriginals are a Cross Breed .

They call themselves that to get the same  government Benefits as the Real Aboriginals. Why? 

Because they get 10 times more money  from the government than any White Feller.

Thanks for an honest answer. I knew there was more to it.

• Like 1