How have the farang expat demographics changed?

moontang

On 1/2/2021 at 12:28 AM, moontang said:

I have been through the same WP questions, and showed them the EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITTED stamp on my original OA, too many times.  Getting a yellow book ended enough of it, but the satellite branches of the banks are something to avoid.   

General paperwork headaches are a deterrent, no doubt.  Often, it is the uncertainty of things.  Filing taxes has been a breeze, but that doesn't make up for the simple task you are doing at Immigration the next day more like a military tribunal. 

The insurance thing is much more useful to some than others, but for me it is a 6000 THB annual expense.  

do you have more information about this 6000 Baht Insurance? (company, what is covered, etc)

thanks

Thaisabai

On 1/2/2021 at 8:02 AM, UKresonant said:

Less replacements (from UK/EU view) will be the trend, thinking about a few issues ;-

Less stable requirements and attitudes seem to be getting reported and experienced for Visa and insurance from first half of 2019 anyway. In addition the not so useful insurance requirements for certain visa classes. Declining exchange rate, which managed to leave a slightly "getting to expensive" taste in relative newbies opinions (They said). Though the exchange rate was about 35 the first time  I visited Thailand.

There will be a couple of years discontinuity of new customers visiting probably, to experience Thailand's great first impression, that may trigger ex-pat ambitions.

The current requirements are to much of a financial, time, and insurance cover gamble, likely deters many at first glance. 

I may of been an "Ex-pat" by now, but after being there substantially over an almost two years, I never formed a feeling that I could ever feel secure, wearing that badge. Anyway the can has been kicked down the road, at least until the Son completes High School in the UK. ( we left Thailand a couple of days after the"state of Emergency back in March.

COV-2 Shall certainly impact replacements;-

% adversely affected by Covid direct earnings, therefore will not travel there.

% of Pension plans that have been stalled by "no overtime" no spare money, unemployment etc

% Deterred by "Foreigners associated with Cov-2" negative statements..

Generally;-

% that may be deterred by the Thai insurance criteria, which is viewed as an extension of the Visa/Extension fee in some cases.

%The number of immigration issues that require interaction with the holding of a Thai Bank Account, but Newbies get told at the bank you must have a work permit, and I presume a big chunk of EX-pats are not Employed in Thailand.

Balancing that I would  think;-

If you are Employed in  Thailand with a reasonable Salary, the exchange rate is probably quite helpful if you still have commitments in Home Country..

and....

Oh, look at the time, Bedtime, perhaps someone else shall list more positives for Ex-pat..

Goodnight.

Oh, look at the time, Bedtime, perhaps someone else shall list more positives for Ex-pat..

It looks like you posted at 5.16 am - have you been on the night shift? Though I think you are at present in the UK. Which bit of my comment is wrong?

I do not see a great change in the "true" expat that lives here all year, obviously very few of the nomad variety (6/7 months a year) as I know of 25 at least that are missing in action (Covid restrictions) & only seen 4 that have been through quarantine to get back.

But this is no doubt not attributable only to Thailand as the whole world is going through the wringer

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scammed said:

i think the exact opposite happened, when i was young and fit

i saw nothing but ole farts surrounding me,

Before

Sports clubs had many young male and female white members.

Old white guys hung around in bars.

Now

Sports clubs are full of Chinese.

Old white guys are too frightened to leave their rooms.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Re ChrisKc post about 12 hours ago..

Child care, late supper snack requested & an interesting page on the motorcycle hobby, distracted. 

I Informed within the text that we were in the U.K. ???? anyway that time, is only marginally early for Dayshift.....

As he continued reading, in the stress free dining room......

Edited by UKresonant