With Pattaya and Bangkok shutdown, Ko Samui sees New Year tourism boost

rooster59

With Pattaya and Bangkok shutdown, Ko Samui sees New Year tourism boost

Tanakorn Sangiam

0e8ad060481b73f6bc8bbfd0ed4dd8db_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The operator of the ferry to Ko Samui has had to increase the frequency of the service to accommodate the number of visitors during the New Year holiday. The company is asking all passengers to comply with precautionary measures against the spread of COVID-19.

Seatran Ferry’s pier in Ko Samui, Surat Thani, was crowded with cars and passengers waiting to leave the island to return to the mainland today, while incoming traffic to the island was also at a peak with visitors coming over for their New Year holiday.

Because of this increase in passenger volume, the company has increased service frequency to transport more cars and people in either direction.

While some hotels on this popular tourism island have closed down due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the remaining ones have dropped their prices to attract domestic travelers.

Visitors to Ko Samui are asked to comply with social measures designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19. It is recommended that they wear masks at all times, while hand sanitizers are widely available for visitors to use.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-01-02

15 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

But what happens if the people visiting are from BKK ann Pattaya.....hmm - not good!

That's what I am worried about. We have got off relatively lightly here on Samui to date. I doubt for much longer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

That's what I am worried about. We have got off relatively lightly here on Samui to date. I doubt for much longer.

Yeah, too late now, should have been shut down before NY.

It's like the UK, i don't know why they don't just have a blanket lockdown, all the different tiers and rules to hard to follow should just be " no one goes anywhere " - end of..

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Not been told but this was issued before new year and Bkk was in a yellow area as well as Phuket etc .

49FAD5D5-2CD4-4D1C-AE4C-6315FBEA6082.png

This just goes to show how ineffective and misleading communications are from this government.

This is today's announcement. No mention of Bangkok nor Pattaya.

'Surat Thani

Arrivals from Samut Sakhon are to report to the local public health office. Individuals who visited the COVID-19 risk areas are to enter a 14-day quarantine.

Mass gathering events with more than 300 participants must strictly follow the public health guidelines'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nout said:

Not until some kind of mobile communication device is invented.

I'm not sure you understand "Thai way of thinking", the expression originates from my local Thai lawyer on Samui...????

Well, 2021has started with a knee in the groin for tourism.

With the second round of Covid infections, Thais have disappeared from our villas.

Expats and others though are still coming. They are staying longer than the 2 - 3 days that the Thais stay.

One piece of good news for those in the Plai Laem area, they have almost finished the new drains and tarmac.

This is the road from the airport turning in Bangrak and goes past the entrance to Wat Plai Laem.

655972504_20210110_1140551.thumb.jpg.291e6660e496cf5c1103e686c5fa21b5.jpg1722252651_20210110_1141071.thumb.jpg.04945549e2d49fdabc5a6d544cb49e0c.jpg554505329_20210110_1141021.thumb.jpg.1e64694eef4e893a4ba66e9797bd15ce.jpg

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, sitta said:

How is Ark Bar? still in business and busy?

I am told that the Ark bar is still going strong.

A busy four day weekend (CNY) and half term this week. A fair number of people around on Samui.

I am currently having a rest on KPN. Very, very quiet up here by Koh Maa.