Where to live in Bangkok (2021)?

Genix

Going into ASQ next week & trying to book a place on a monthly basis after that to test out locations. In 2020 I lived in Asok which was okay, but looking to try somewhere else this time and having gone through several blog posts many outdated.

Right now thinking Chitlom or Thonglo, although Chitlom seems more appealing (more things to do, massive malls & etc) but comes with the negative of hectic traffic.

3 Simple Key Factors (within Sukhumvit line ideally)
- Work from home (no commute needed).
- Nightlife (dates at nice bars/rooftops etc, no nana please ????)
- Good Gym nearby

Obv. plus would be access to malls, food etc although not a must as I order foodpanda frequently.
Price isn't necessarily an issue.

If you were choosing for yourself based on the above 3 factors, where would you choose?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Genix

Stayed in Thonglo a couple of weeks ago....not bad, busy....lots of money round there.....in Ari at the moment...not bad, much smaller than Thonglo.....some very nice bars/restaurants tucked away in the back roads.....live Nana soi 11 and looking forward to getting back there to be honest.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Genix said:

Going into ASQ next week & trying to book a place on a monthly basis after that to test out locations. In 2020 I lived in Asok which was okay, but looking to try somewhere else this time and having gone through several blog posts many outdated.

Right now thinking Chitlom or Thonglo, although Chitlom seems more appealing (more things to do, massive malls & etc) but comes with the negative of hectic traffic.

3 Simple Key Factors (within Sukhumvit line ideally)
- Work from home (no commute needed).
- Nightlife (dates at nice bars/rooftops etc, no nana please ????)
- Good Gym nearby

Obv. plus would be access to malls, food etc although not a must as I order foodpanda frequently.
Price isn't necessarily an issue.

If you were choosing for yourself based on the above 3 factors, where would you choose?

Thanks in advance

choosing for myself, it most definitely would not be Bangkok, or indeed any big City in Thailand. Everywhere in Bangkok is as bad as everywhere else. and good luck dealing with Bangkok Immigration. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

choosing for myself, it most definitely would not be Bangkok, or indeed any big City in Thailand. Everywhere in Bangkok is as bad as everywhere else. and good luck dealing with Bangkok Immigration. 

I've been dealing with immigration for a decade and never once had an issue they have always been polite and helpful. 

Oh I forgot there was the one time I forgot to copy 3 pages and got a stern tsk tsk 

OP Be smart and book airbnb for a week at each place your interested before committing to a lease 

I'm in Asoke but anywhere from soi 33 to soi 11 is a good expat area 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Be smart and book airbnb for a week at each place your interested before committing to a lease 

That is pure genius...yes.

The place we are staying (flat sitting in Ari) is amazing...huge...three bed four bathrooms.....and it is HELL.

Second floor....dogs barking 24/7....kids screaming...and If I lived here I would k**l the family next door...none of them can talk, they can only shout......play music loudly and live with their door open and treat the landing as an extension to their apartment.

What about Ekkamai? Haven't spent much time there but seems that it has a good gym, close to Octave & Thong lo nightlife incl Emporium rooftop bar (& has bars of its own).

English speaking audience (apparently?) and the condos seem to be good value/spacious.

16 hours ago, Airalee said:

This pretty much says it all.  What makes any area in Bangkok nice?  Does Thonglor give bragging rights like saying you live in the 1st 2nd or 8th arrondissement of Paris...or Manhattans upper west side...or Malibu?  

Nah.

To achieve real baller status...as you appear to be looking for speaking of sky bars and fine dining, you need to look for the most kick a$$ pad you can find regardless of the neighborhood.  So...if you’re not living in a penthouse in the Marque, Millenium Towers or Mahanakhon, you’re just a poseur like the rest of the Thonglor residents in their lowly 30k per month shoeboxes.  Or you can slum it in Onnut like I do.

Go big or go home.

(tic)

Is 80k a month acceptable in Thong lor, do I now have bragging rights ? 

Convenience is what make an area nice, I have only lived in Thong lor now since september. Before I lived in a house in Bang Yai (the rent is there 7000bt). I must say both are nice. Its nice to have a private pool though. 

For me what is important is distance to a gym and shops that i frequent not the name of the place i live.

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

What's the point of posting this?  He didn't ask if you liked Bangkok, he was asking about different areas.  Your comment is not helpful, it is just a moan just because you like expressing how much you dislike things here.

Bangkok is a great city, I love it.   I've have been working here for 25 years and never once had a problem at Bangkok immigration - always courteous helpful and polite.  CW can be busy but that's the only hassle.

In answer to the OP I would go for Thonglor - it has everything you are asking for with the exception of shopping malls.  Bars, restaurants, supermarkets (Villa, Tops, Makro), nice rooftop at the Amari, BTS access to everywhere (one stop to Emporium / Emquartier and Benjasiri park).

Also I back the idea of another poster who recommends trying Airbnbs - it's a good idea.  I had a friend who moved here last year and he would do two week spells in Airbnbs in different areas of the city until he decided which area he liked best then rented an apartment.

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

What's the point of posting this?  He didn't ask if you liked Bangkok, he was asking about different areas.  Your comment is not helpful, it is just a moan just because you like expressing how much you dislike things here.

Bangkok is a great city, I love it.   I've have been working here for 25 years and never once had a problem at Bangkok immigration - always courteous helpful and polite.  CW can be busy but that's the only hassle.

In answer to the OP I would go for Thonglor - it has everything you are asking for with the exception of shopping malls.  Bars, restaurants, supermarkets (Villa, Tops, Makro), nice rooftop at the Amari, BTS access to everywhere (one stop to Emporium / Emquartier and Benjasiri park).

Also I back the idea of another poster who recommends trying Airbnbs - it's a good idea.  I had a friend who moved here last year and he would do two week spells in Airbnbs in different areas of the city until he decided which area he liked best then rented an apartment.

its called a bit of light hearted banter mate.  

Oh and Bangkok is a sxxt hxxx just like all capital cities, only maybe more so.  Good luck living in a place that has no resemblance to Thailand. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Is 80k a month acceptable in Thong lor, do I now have bragging rights ? 

Convenience is what make an area nice, I have only lived in Thong lor now since september. Before I lived in a house in Bang Yai (the rent is there 7000bt). I must say both are nice. Its nice to have a private pool though. 

For me what is important is distance to a gym and shops that i frequent not the name of the place i live.

(TIC) means “tongue in cheek”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

6 minutes ago, Airalee said:

(TIC) means “tongue in cheek”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

Thanks did not get that one. I would not brag about paying much. I would brag if I had a villa for a low price. That is worth bragging. Paying much is just cost of living.  (its paid by company otherwise I had not lived here would not be worth it IMHO)

Thonglor is nice, restaurants, bars, Tops, Foodland ( The prices at Foodland/Eight- Sukhumvit 55 are the same as in Pattaya).

Many Japanese restaurants, as many Japanese executives are living there.

A lot of " small " condo's , 33m2, that's the norm now.

Prices dropped considerably, I paid 90000 for 90 days ( Rent, electricity, internet, water )via Airbnb, now 57000 directly with owner.

3 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

IMHO, the Ratchaprasong area is the most convenient.  There are lots of vacancies on Ratchadamri and Langsuan.  Everything is within easy walking distance.  Depends on your interest though.  Find a nice place near the places that you frequent.

Agree. Also, the sois around Ploenchit (Ruamrudee etc.) are worth checking out.

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Don't know much about Bangkok then. Never had a problem with immigration.

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

its called a bit of light hearted banter mate.  

Oh and Bangkok is a sxxt hxxx just like all capital cities, only maybe more so.  Good luck living in a place that has no resemblance to Thailand. 

Bangkok has many different areas with a different feel. There live 10 million Thais. Like I said before, you don't know much about Bangkok. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Bangkok has many different areas with a different feel. There live 10 million Thais. Like I said before, you don't know much about Bangkok. 

true, I've only been visiting the place for 30 years. The population of Thailand is 66.5 million, so not many live in BKK then. 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

true, I've only been visiting the place for 30 years. The population of Thailand is 66.5 million, so not many live in BKK then. 

Visiting, how many days did you actually spend in Bangkok and what area?

Wrong again:

"The current population of Thailand is 69,880,408 as of Wednesday, December 16, 2020, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data." 

Edited by FritsSikkink

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Wrong again:

"The current population of Thailand is 69,880,408 as of Wednesday, December 16, 2020, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data." 

Oh God no, such a massive inaccuracy, I do so apologise . 

However according to Google its 66.5, but who cares, I sure don't. 

OP,

Those parameters would be sound in pre-covid days.....

Not sure how long you have been away; The pollution is out of control and hazards to the point of mimicking the Covid 19 symptoms.

Businesses are closing EVERYWHERE. 

Restaurants, shopping malls. and the other luxury stores , are almost in complete shut down. 

Not only are we having our temps taken, phone scans, printed log ins, but we will soon be photographed at SME's as in a Passport photo for easier Identification and facial recognition scans.  That's even if your allowed entry....

Phantom businesses are about to be hit harder, and street vendors will be hard pressed to stay alive.

Best of luck to you.

I think many of us are looking for ways out of Bangkok, and further away from metro epicenter's to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.