Where to live in Bangkok (2021)?

Genix

Chitlom is a good choice and you might be surprised to know that traffic isn't bad. 

I drive every day and you just learn to avoid peak hours on rainy days.

Rental is very reasonable,  you can find 70 m2 from less than 20k.

Just say if you want some specific suggestions for buildings.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:18 PM, Genix said:

Going into ASQ next week & trying to book a place on a monthly basis after that to test out locations. In 2020 I lived in Asok which was okay, but looking to try somewhere else this time and having gone through several blog posts many outdated.

Right now thinking Chitlom or Thonglo, although Chitlom seems more appealing (more things to do, massive malls & etc) but comes with the negative of hectic traffic.

3 Simple Key Factors (within Sukhumvit line ideally)
- Work from home (no commute needed).
- Nightlife (dates at nice bars/rooftops etc, no nana please ????)
- Good Gym nearby

Obv. plus would be access to malls, food etc although not a must as I order foodpanda frequently.
Price isn't necessarily an issue.

If you were choosing for yourself based on the above 3 factors, where would you choose?

Thanks in advance

After 15 years work in Bangkok, living in different locations, I decided to purchase a condo in Charan-Pinklao.

The must factor is the proximity to BTS/MRT.

My new built (2019) condo is at the doorstep of MRT station. This anulates the long standing in traffic jams during rush hours. So you can live away from the big hassle and the big crowds of foreigners, and yet in a short trip distance from all the attractions and shopping venues of Sukhumvit.  

The place is close to Rathanakosin area. The river, the Grand palace, China town, Kaosan road, Thaling Chan floating market, Central Pinklao, Chatuchak, Yodpiman, Asiatique, iCon Siam and more.

Thats the way I like it, aha aha...

I haven't read through all of the responses but I would say something on Soi 10.  At the very end of Soi 10 you can access the Tobacco monopoly grounds, the elevated green path, and Benjakitti Park.  Soi 10 is closed to cars at 6:00pm so it is a quieter soi than many others.  The Asoke BTS is very close by.  I loved my time living on Soi 10 back in the days of The Clinton Plaza being so nearby.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:48 PM, DogNo1 said:

IMHO, the Ratchaprasong area is the most convenient.  There are lots of vacancies on Ratchadamri and Langsuan.  Everything is within easy walking distance.  Depends on your interest though.  Find a nice place near the places that you frequent.

Absolutely. We're on one of the Ratchadamri sois (Mahatlekluang) and can't imagine being in Thonglor or similar -- we looked there but were very turned off. People that move to this area tend to stay for many years. Walkable to Centralworld & the skywalk on wide, nice (for BKK) and unobstructed sidewalks.  Magnolias Ratchadamri is a very nice new building with amazing views, Hansar Residence (private lifts, 150 meters to BTS), or Sindhorn Residence on Langsuan closer to Lumpini and attached to a nice hiso mall (less convenient for BTS tho). More budget friendly places are around too if that's a constraint, but I'd put Magnolias high on the list if it's in your price range.  Some people like Noble Ploenchit (attached to Suk BTS line) for unbeatable convenience, but units were tiny and boxy for us, it depends on taste.

FYI, despite all the talk about massive rent declines, that just didn't happen in the best buildings in this area (we know because we recently moved), most likely because it's a popular area for long term residents rather than transients and there is low turnover.

Agree the pollution is a huge issue and is what will ultimately drive us out of BKK, but that's a separate discussion unrelated to the OP

Edited by eppic

8 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I haven't read through all of the responses but I would say something on Soi 10.  At the very end of Soi 10 you can access the Tobacco monopoly grounds, the elevated green path, and Benjakitti Park.  Soi 10 is closed to cars at 6:00pm so it is a quieter soi than many others.  The Asoke BTS is very close by.  I loved my time living on Soi 10 back in the days of The Clinton Plaza being so nearby.

So you must also remember the Sukhumvit Soi 10 Square entertainment complex, and its destruction in January 2003.

• Like 1

Magnolias was requiring new residents to sign a one-year contract.  I don’t know if they’re still doing that.  Another nice place to consider for a serviced apartment is Grande Centre Point Ploenchit.  From it, you also have easy access to the skywalk but you must walk through Central Embassy into Central Chidlom, go up one floor and exit to the skywalk.  You can pay 16 baht to enter and exit the BTS station and then walk on to Central World and Siam Paragon.

You can look at prices on Agoda but then book directly with Centre Point for a lower price.  Negotiation required, of course.

16 hours ago, eppic said:

Absolutely. We're on one of the Ratchadamri sois (Mahatlekluang) and can't imagine being in Thonglor or similar -- we looked there but were very turned off. People that move to this area tend to stay for many years. Walkable to Centralworld & the skywalk on wide, nice (for BKK) and unobstructed sidewalks.  Magnolias Ratchadamri is a very nice new building with amazing views, Hansar Residence (private lifts, 150 meters to BTS), or Sindhorn Residence on Langsuan closer to Lumpini and attached to a nice hiso mall (less convenient for BTS tho). More budget friendly places are around too if that's a constraint, but I'd put Magnolias high on the list if it's in your price range.  Some people like Noble Ploenchit (attached to Suk BTS line) for unbeatable convenience, but units were tiny and boxy for us, it depends on taste.

FYI, despite all the talk about massive rent declines, that just didn't happen in the best buildings in this area (we know because we recently moved), most likely because it's a popular area for long term residents rather than transients and there is low turnover.

Agree the pollution is a huge issue and is what will ultimately drive us out of BKK, but that's a separate discussion unrelated to the OP

I like the area and lived there for a few years, it’s perfect for singles or for a youngish couple (we loved it)  and also great for retirees: however , as we found ,as our kids got older , it’s not so convenient. 
Schools, kids social life , ie where their friends tend to live,  extra curricular activities, sports etc all tend to be a bit more mid/ upper Suk. If you have a growing family the Asoke to Ekhami area just works better for so many reasons.